Microsoft Drops Aero from Windows 8

LOL, that's great. Move to Linux, nice suggestion. Don't like what Microsoft is doing with their product? Don't try and get them to rectify it or suggest ways of improvement. Move to a completely different platform. That will fix it!! :laugh:

No, you complained that MS was preventing you to do whatever you wanted with your computer. never mind the fact that the OS is not your computer, if we do focus on the OS itself, windows was NEVER about being able to do whatever to your computer. In early versions it was customizable because it had to more or less, and that's what the majority of users needed, and the computers where far less powerful and there was a far bigger gap between the weak computers and the powerful ones. Or rather, that's not true, there was a more discernible difference. Today if you buy a cheap or a powerful computer, they're all powerful enough to run windows with all effects and all resource hungry features on.

Windows is made for the majority of it's users, today that is average users who account for at least 90% of the user base, probably closer to 95 or more. These users want a simple to use logical computer that just works and always works the same, they don't want to change themes and such. if they want to customize their windows, then changing the color of the whole UI is more than enough for them, which is more than these users where able to do before (no the silly XP themes don't count, and these users would never get their head around skins, never mind why every computer looks different).

So if you want to tweak and hack and all that your OS. Windows is not for you.

Riiiiiiight... Bright white background on a mobile device goes a long way towards improving battery life...

Well it doesn't actually affect it either way. unless it's a AMOLED screen, even then the effect is minimal.

No, they are doing a better job at integrating IOS features into OSX, the correct way to do uniformity. Not by making OSX into IOS with desktop/finder as an afterthought.

No, they're just gradually changing it over time because of faster incremental OS updates whereas Windows has fewer but bigger updates. the end result when they hit the goal is the same. OSX will become iOS in all but name.

Both Windows and OSX in any case will still be desktop OS' though, Win8 still works just fine as a desktop OS, and is an improvement over Win7.

Riiiiiiight... Bright white background on a mobile device goes a long way towards improving battery life...

I don't know whether it makes a difference or not but my Sony laptop has a special battery saving mode that sets the desktop to white amongst other things.

OSX will become iOS in all but name.

What do people even mean by that?! OS X and iOS are already the same OS save for the upper layers, primarily UI (UIKit/Appkit). Cocoa Touch was specifically created for touchscreen devices - why would Apple switch to it on the Desktop?! And if they don't - what will be the difference to today once OS X has "become iOS"...?

No, they are doing a better job at integrating IOS features into OSX, the correct way to do uniformity. Not by making OSX into IOS with desktop/finder as an afterthought.

1. Drag safari to extended monitor on OS X Lion
  2. Click the full screen button
  3. Stare at blank screen as the Safari window disappears from extended screen and reappears on main laptop monitor.

Sure this is not an afterthought?

(This happened to me today as I was using my MBP with extended monitor for the first time).

Sure this is not an afterthought?

I totally agree that dual-monitor setup can be improved upon in OS X, however I do think Apple is taking the right path here. The iPhone and iPad have much more in common with each other than iPad and Mac. I really don't see the point in having a touch screen interface on a PC and having the traditional desktop on a tablet. The way I see it the "one OS fits all" concept Microsoft is after won't work because the two types or devices are just too different. I also think it's completely berserk you have to deal with two completely different sets of apps within the same OS.

Microsoft turned Windows into an OS with multiple personality disorder.

OSX will become iOS in all but name.

Except Tim Cook specifically said they're not after the "one OS fits all" model like Microsoft. So what you're saying is highly unlikely to happen as long as desktop/notebook Macs in their current form continue to exist.

Except Tim Cook specifically said they're not after the "one OS fits all" model like Microsoft. So what you're saying is highly unlikely to happen as long as desktop/notebook Macs in their current form continue to exist.

but MS's vision one OS - more importantly 'one framework' WinRT across devices is probably the way to go

MS isn't going for "one OS to fits them all". Read this : http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012/05/18/creating-the-windows-8-user-experience.aspx

MS isn't going for "one OS to fits them all". Read this : http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012/05/18/creating-the-windows-8-user-experience.aspx

I meant for both desktops/notebooks and tablets which Windows 8 is designed for. Apple isn't after that since the two differ too greatly.

but MS's vision one OS - more importantly 'one framework' WinRT across devices is probably the way to go

Perhaps, of you can adapt WinRT apps for use on the desktop. But again, I just don't see the point in rolling two OSs in one with two radically different interface types and sets of apps.

Apple are well known for back-tracking, they say whatever is convenient to fuel the reality distortion field. The biggest Apple rumor doing rounds these days is the 4+ inch screen. Remember when Jobs said 4 inch smartphones were useless and no one would buy them?

[...] the reality distortion field.

I see the standard non-relevant rhetoric is making its rounds again. Every company says things to make themselves look better. Don't pretend Microsoft is any different. Also, where did Jobs specifically speak of 4-inch phones? As far as I recall no specific size was given and he talked about phones that are so big you can't get your hand around it anymore. Current iPhone "5" leaks indicate an increase in hight only, not in width. There's no backtracking in this case and they're pretty much sticking with their vision. Let's also don't act as if Microsoft never said one thing and then revisited their standpoint later down the road. These things happen.

Enjoy deploying your own little reality distorition field much?

You can probably do most of the same stuff, but its not going to be as intuitive on windows 8, and less enjoyable to use, on a desktop at least.

Based on my experience with Windows 8 CP, it isn't "less enjoyable", it's the complete opposite.
  • Like 3

Based on my experience with Windows 8 CP, it isn't "less enjoyable", it's the complete opposite.

I agree. I was one of those who really HATED Win 8. Then my Win 7 crashed and the only recovery DVD I've had at the time, was W8 CP. Installed it, never looked back. Windows 7 feels so awkward and old now.

You can probably do most of the same stuff, but its not going to be as intuitive on windows 8, and less enjoyable to use, on a desktop at least.

Did you just call the start screen less intuitive than the start menu?.... You've never even seen a regular user in your life, have you?

i've seen many "regular users" try to use windows 8. At least the dev preview, and i dont think they found it to be "enjoyable". I don't the final product will be polished up much more, but i could be wrong, but we're all basing our opinions on that.

They HAVE TO watch the tutorial (which isn't here in the CP) before, because they are too dumb to understand how anything related to computer works :p

I totally agree that dual-monitor setup can be improved upon in OS X, however I do think Apple is taking the right path here. The iPhone and iPad have much more in common with each other than iPad and Mac. I really don't see the point in having a touch screen interface on a PC and having the traditional desktop on a tablet. The way I see it the "one OS fits all" concept Microsoft is after won't work because the two types or devices are just too different. I also think it's completely berserk you have to deal with two completely different sets of apps within the same OS.

Microsoft turned Windows into an OS with multiple personality disorder.

Well the point I was sort of trying to make was that both companies have their priorities in releasing newer versions and that means some of the os features will be afterthought. For Microsoft, the priority is supporting both interfaces without comprising any input paradigm. In my opinion they mostly succeeded in windows 8 so far.

For apple, the multi monitor feature probably doesn't count that high up so it takes a backseat. (it is actually surprising given that they sell more laptops than iMacs)

VDI and App-V's time has come.

Some great comments MorganX, I fully agree with most. This specifically rings my bell as thats what I've been thinking too, this will be an absolute boon for VDI conversion. I sincerely hope you are right for Win9.

Oh my god guys, it's just an OS, if you don't like it, either don't use it, or customize it. It's not the end of the world here, you can obviously tweak it around all you want, there is a thriving third party theme community out there, honestly not as thriving as in the days of Windows XP but it's still there. You'll get your precious glass in Windows 8. For all we know, it is an option, just not enabled by default, you take one picture, and go "OMG OH NOES" over it, relax guys.

Did you just call the start screen less intuitive than the start menu?.... You've never even seen a regular user in your life, have you?

The only clear score in all this debate for the pro Metro vs. Start Menu team. Though that one was a gimme ...

The desktop ins't an after thought. In fact, judging by the lengthy blog post on multi monitor enhancements that was posted the other day, I would argue it is quite the opposite, but I don't see the traditional desktop carrying forward too much longer. It'll loose more and more focus as technology becomes more interactive, and personal.

So you are saying that current Windows 7 Desktop is not interactive and personal. How do you people even come up with such statements.

So you are saying that current Windows 7 Desktop is not interactive and personal. How do you people even come up with such statements.

What's so interactive about the desktop? (Gadgets are not part of the desktop) It's just a bunch of lifeless icons that tell you nothing.

The only interactive part of the desktop is the systray and even then the info you get from it (without clicking on something first) is quite limited. In that regard a live tile can give you more useful information without you doing anything more than just looking at it. I think a good notification area would be more useful than the systray is right now actually.