Doctors Accidentally Sever Baby's Head During Childbirth

Doctors in Brazil accidentally tore the head off of a baby :| they were struggling to deliver.

The horrific incident occurred after the child became stuck as it was being born in Aracaju, northeastern Brazil.

The baby boy's headless body remained inside the mother and had to be removed by Caesarian.

A team of five doctors at the Santa Isabel maternity hospital had spent hours trying to deliver the baby in the early hours of Tuesday.

The 22-year-old mother, who has three other children, told her family she knew something was wrong when she heard something 'crack'.

Gilmara Azevedo dos Santos, the woman's cousin, said "She went through a lot of suffering, it was hours and hours and a lot of pain and discomfort, with doctors pushing on her stomach, trying everything to make the baby come out." At one point, she heard a loud noise and one of the doctors said, 'Marcos, are you crazy?"

He said the mother asked what was happening but didn't get an answer.

She was rushed for an emergency Caesarian where, according to the woman, the headless body of the baby was removed.

"My cousin is totally devastated, the whole family is in shock. She is still in so much pain, as after the head had been pulled off they tried to get the body out by cutting her. In the end they had to open up her body to take out her son's dead body.' Ms Santos added.

The hospital's clinic director Debora Leite today said that a committee of professionals had been set up to investigate the baby's death.

The family confirmed they intend to sue for medical negligence.

source

how much force where they using? sheesh! they use to use forceps to grab babies heads to pull them out and never heard of this happening before

What the ****. This is terrible :( :(

I hope the inquiry determines what has happened - if it was a defect or gross negligence.

They delivered it wrong!

This is the first time i laughed at something warwagon said. Bravo warwagon. Bravo

Doctors in Brazil accidentally tore the head off of a baby :| they were struggling to deliver.

The horrific incident occurred after the child became stuck as it was being born in Aracaju, northeastern Brazil.

The baby boy's headless body remained inside the mother and had to be removed by Caesarian.

A team of five doctors at the Santa Isabel maternity hospital had spent hours trying to deliver the baby in the early hours of Tuesday.

The 22-year-old mother, who has three other children, told her family she knew something was wrong when she heard something 'crack'.

Gilmara Azevedo dos Santos, the woman's cousin, said "She went through a lot of suffering, it was hours and hours and a lot of pain and discomfort, with doctors pushing on her stomach, trying everything to make the baby come out." At one point, she heard a loud noise and one of the doctors said, 'Marcos, are you crazy?"

He said the mother asked what was happening but didn't get an answer.

She was rushed for an emergency Caesarian where, according to the woman, the headless body of the baby was removed.

"My cousin is totally devastated, the whole family is in shock. She is still in so much pain, as after the head had been pulled off they tried to get the body out by cutting her. In the end they had to open up her body to take out her son's dead body.' Ms Santos added.

The hospital's clinic director Debora Leite today said that a committee of professionals had been set up to investigate the baby's death.

The family confirmed they intend to sue for medical negligence.

source

Did this article REALLY need to be posted? Pretty disturbing Hum. :no:

• Like 2

Did this article REALLY need to be posted? Pretty disturbing Hum. :no:

Have to agree. RWN is normally "light hearted" news. This gives me a awful feeling in my stomach when I read it :(

Hum just loves posting the obscure posts... Almost makes the things that he posts even 'normal' because I see them so often.

He's a bit like the tabloid reporter for Neowin. I could do without seeing it in the forums but that's just personal preference and I have to remember this is a community site.

I still can't picture how they not only broke the kids neck, but severed all the muscels and skin to completely make the kid headless... something just doesnt seme right there

^ Scapel slip ... ?

I have children and at no time was a scalpel involved (as far as I know). Seems as though you post crap news just to up your post count. Just my opinion though..

• Like 2

I still can't picture how they not only broke the kids neck, but severed all the muscels and skin to completely make the kid headless... something just doesnt seme right there

Something does not add up, the amount of force required isnt much given its a newborn but still. Maybe it wasnt ready to come out, seems like it was forced/rushed labor.

This is a terribly sad story and I agree that it probably shouldn't have been posted here.

how much force where they using? sheesh! they use to use forceps to grab babies heads to pull them out and never heard of this happening before

Unrelated to this thread, they still do use forceps and it can take a scary amount of pulling to get a difficult baby out.

I have children and at no time was a scalpel involved (as far as I know). Seems as though you post crap news just to up your post count. Just my opinion though..

You/your partner may not have had scalpels involved but they are routinely used during childbirth. The most obvious use is related to caesareans but they are also used for episiotomies. There is a risk that the baby can be harmed when the surgeon makes the incision during a caesarean.

pics or it didnt happen...

Aparently this type of accidents are not so uncommon, here is a video from tv news from a case ocurred in 2009

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQb8PnxNfh0
[/CODE]

and here a degolated baby from another case, strong pictures in this video

[CODE]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O86n3rMni2U&feature=related
[/CODE]

The videos are in portuguese.