A neowin linux?

Neowin Linux Poll  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be interested in making this idea a reality?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Would you be interested in using / modifying Neowin's former Linux project "Shift"?

• Yes
    • No
    • Null Vote

"ARCH base using:

systemd

slim

awesom"

I'm not sure if you're giving that as an idea for a potential neowin linux or if you use it or what?

I run ARCH on my main box but have been experimenting with the above (on the P4) and thought that it could be a cool place to start with a project for something like the OP suggested. Light weight and ridiculously fast and can run on anything!

Base it off CentOS

The only thing in the world centOS is good for is rented budget servers and when you need to fix something on a dell!

I ran whitebox enterprise linux for just over a year as a database server.

Why? Reasons? Just asking!

The only thing in the world centOS is good for is rented budget servers and when you need to fix something on a dell!

I ran whitebox enterprise linux for just over a year as a database server.

CentOS is hosting industry approved and runs like a champ. Most hosts use it.

If there will be any attempt to resurrect Shift Linux, base it on Ubuntu or Fedora 17. You want current packages, neither of which Debian Stable or CentOS/RHEL offer.

Shift Linux, new generation, could be Mint done right - base it on Ubuntu 12.04, get lassekongo83 to do the artwork. GNOME Shell + a selection of extensions rather than Unity as desktop.

CentOS is hosting industry approved and runs like a champ. Most hosts use it.

So do many other distro's, the fact that "hosts" use it does not necessarily make it suitable for a project like this. The beauty of an ARCH system is that the base is pure Linux and it does not install anything unless it's told to do so. No mucking around with adding repositories and such, "pacman" does it all without any fuss! Just my 5 cents, may not be everyone's cup of tea! Another thing that I love about ARCH is that it is a rolling release distro and as such is updated on a continuous basis that adds to it freshness and relevance and because of this you never need to re-install the system.

"The beauty of an ARCH system is that the base is pure GNU"

Fixed :?.

I love arch, I'm running in on this desktop right now, I had it on my raspberry pi but gentoo's replaced it, and I've got it running as a firewall and server as VMs.

Though as I said, there are some daft things with arch, loads of the AUR packages specify their own make instructions, so a lot just have 'make' which is a pain in the arse if you've got more than a single core CPU and/or configure your makepkg.conf differently. Plus (like with all other distros) there's no support for updating using just diffs or patches, if I update the kernel then I've got to download the whole darn thing (although on my servers and whatnot it's all custom kernels so that doesn't matter).

Shift Linux, new generation, could be Mint done right - base it on Ubuntu 12.04, get lassekongo83 to do the artwork. GNOME Shell + a selection of extensions rather than Unity as desktop.

pDrdr.jpg

Yo dawg, not another pimp-my-ride distribution.

What we need here is serious GPL3-licensed, POSIX-compatible, TRON-compatitle ****.

It is time to start a true revolution.

Shift Linux is registered to The Linux Foundation and the Open Invitation Network (OIN) and is trademarked by these institutions. If you produce a new linux distro, you'll need to do this also.

One other tidbit...... your selection of linux distro should be based partly on it's ease of use. It's fine if the hardcore Linux users want to use something like Gentoo (just an example), but if the user has to compile a tarball from scratch it will get no play from the general public.... especially since there are many "easy to use" distros already out there.

I remember years ago there was a neowin distro of linux, I believe it was called shift? Never used it.

Anyway, someone here was working on Fusion and has stopped, it was also looking pretty nifty, but it got me thinking in the thread earlier about making a neowin community made linux distro!

I don't mean take ubuntu, change some things, repackage it and ship it off. I absolutely hate distros that do that. What I mean is start from scratch maybe, build it up and add some package management and utilities, maybe equilivents of rpm, apt, pacman, etc. that will process package installation for users that are used to the other installation methods?

So I'll ask the big question.... *drum roll* Would anyone be interested in making that happen?

It would be awesome and I'd love to help *somehow*, mostly "somehow" because my programming skills go just a little bit further then the "Hello World." But beta testing? :p

A neoWIN linux.. yes... While we are at it, let's make a Xbox 360 android

Yes, because that makes complete coherency and sense.

Neowin used to be a Windows oriented site, but that isn't particularly true anymore, in fact we have a forum section dedicated to Linux and have had a Linux distro before.

Just seems like it was a huge waste of time for whoever created it... And it just looks like a normal Ubuntu with a wallwaper (and I'm pretty sure that's just what it is). A Windows theme would have been more logical. I don't know what the author was expecting as it offers no advantages to 95%+ of users who already have a working OS.

Just seems like it was a huge waste of time for whoever created it...

If you read my first post you would understand the intent, instead of simply trolling this thread. I encountered a bunch of these kinds of comments when I started with our Linux community here. The trolls came out in force. Fortunately, the team learned a bunch about creating a distro using XML files using Morphix, as well as branding and compiling. Although we did create our own Linux brand, our first intent was to do a community project to learn how to build it. I encourage any of you guys who want to try this. It was a rich and rewarding experience, and in the end, I developed many close friends who have gained a ton of knowledge with the experience they learned.

Just seems like it was a huge waste of time for whoever created it... And it just looks like a normal Ubuntu with a wallwaper (and I'm pretty sure that's just what it is). A Windows theme would have been more logical. I don't know what the author was expecting as it offers no advantages to 95%+ of users who already have a working OS.

Here's an idea, blacklist the linux subform, join the windows sub-forum and make a windows theme for neowin.

Why are you even in the linux subforum, might as well go to walmart and complain that NASA is getting too much of your taxes on the mic.

If you read my first post you would understand the intent, instead of simply trolling this thread. I encountered a bunch of these kinds of comments when I started with our Linux community here. The trolls came out in force. Fortunately, the team learned a bunch about creating a distro using XML files using Morphix, as well as branding and compiling. Although we did create our own Linux brand, our first intent was to do a community project to learn how to build it. I encourage any of you guys who want to try this. It was a rich and rewarding experience, and in the end, I developed many close friends who have gained a ton of knowledge with the experience they learned.

A question Barney. Why dont you collaborate for Elementary? :)

I truly believe is the future of linux.

A question Barney. Why dont you collaborate for Elementary? :)

I truly believe is the future of linux.

That looks like an awesome project! :yes: I really wanted to help out the Linux community here by assisting in developing a true team with a goal for each of the team members. I'm in school for my Masters in Informatics now, so I do not have the time to devote to a project like this right now. It takes a lot of time and willing, dedicated people to pull it off. I wish anyone who wants to give this a go the very best of luck.

I understand. Hope you return to developing. Shift was shaping nicely.

Ahh, you are so kind, sanctified. Thank you so much. It truly was a great moment (more like 3 years) for me here. (Y)