A neowin linux?

Neowin Linux Poll  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be interested in making this idea a reality?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Would you be interested in using / modifying Neowin's former Linux project "Shift"?

• Yes
    • No
    • Null Vote

The problem with modern Linux is that there are a bazillion different distributions offering, let's face it, very little to set them apart. If you want to win users over you need to offer them something different and to do so would probably require starting either from scratch or with incredibly extensive rewrites. A lot of time input with little potential reward.

The point for this distro though is for users to come together and make a community system. It will give people that are interested a chance to learn that little bit more that they might need about Linux. Just because it won't be ginormous like Ubuntu etc and have millions of users means squat. You can at least say that you have something that is hand crafted amongst a good community.

The world does not need another Linux Distro. There are too many of them as it is. Which is why after 20+ some years, its still not "The year of Linux" (I'm not counting android)

The world does not need another Linux Distro. There are too many of them as it is. Which is why after 30 some years, its still not "The year of Linux" (I'm not counting android)

As many, many people in this thread and elsewhere have said, this would not be for "the world" (though world domination would be one of the goals). It's mainly for learning and community here.

And, BTW, Linux is nowhere near 30 years old.... :pinch:

Every time I see this thread come by I think to myself:

"Why do we need another half-assed Linux distro that won't ever gain any serious traction or a good level of quality and support?"

Every time I see this thread come by I think to myself:

"Why do we need another half-assed Linux distro that won't ever gain any serious traction or a good level of quality and support?"

And it has been answered, many times.

My suggestion is for those who want to start this project to get organized and started. Those who want to troll against a community project can just not participate. My experience with Shift told me that moving ahead with those who were enthusiastic got much better results than mulling over the "what ifs". This project takes time, effort, and a group committed to seeing it through. Even if there were 10,000 Linux distros, a community project is well worth the effort for those interested in learning and building a linux distro.

My suggestion is for those who want to start this project to get organized and started. Those who want to troll against a community project can just not participate. My experience with Shift told me that moving ahead with those who were enthusiastic got much better results than mulling over the "what ifs". This project takes time, effort, and a group committed to seeing it through. Even if there were 10,000 Linux distros, a community project is well worth the effort for those interested in learning and building a linux distro.

Thanks for the sensible advice :)

How would one go about starting something up again then?

We started by announcing a meeting via IRC (a channel set up for the project) for anyone who is interested. At the meeting, we set up a project manager and devs to help get it started. We also had graphics folks, web developers, and PR people. Then we decided to hold monthly meetings for updates. Some things to remember:

1. The project manager is critical. He has to be truly committed to keep the project moving forward, no matter the barriers encountered.

2. The project members must have a single focus and agreed upon roadmap. Different or opposing opinions will de-rail the project in a hurry.

3. People who distract from the project goal need to be released from the project. No good comes from griping and nay sayers.

4. Give everyone something substantial and important to do, and give credit for what they do.....

With that, have at it! (Y)

• Like 1

Christ can the people boo-booing please go elsewhere?

One HUGE use for having a distro. is you can try changes with things and you get noticed compared to if you're an individual asking for something to be changed, like the removal of configuring the volume steps in GNOME 3 which was in GNOME 2, I've seen about 30 threads on forums asking for the feature to be added back in, and each time the response from the GNOME team is basically '**** off'.

If you had a distro, implemented a fix people can agree on and get it working then you can submit it to them and they'll be much more of a chance it'll get included, etc.

Anyway I guess as said about we'd need a project manager, suggestions? Anyone interested? :p

Leave it to people who will actually stick with it, no forum members who join for a year in order to try and get more status on

Neowin.

The questions now are: Who's going to take part in the project, who is going to volunteer as project manager? Shift² needs a core team at least before anyone can think of dealing with the technical details.

I'm no programming guru nor a designer, but I would be willing to help with creating documentation, testing the distribution and tasks like that.

Im obviously interested, I'm a web designer but I'm also willing to delve into the more technical side aswell.

I will learn as I go :) its what works best for me.

Why not you for Project Manager N_k? It's your idea :)

EDIT: I'd be happy to provide some code when necessary. Skills include Ruby, PHP, Bash C, C# and C++. I'm pretty familiar with Linux too so I can offer suggestions. Unfortunately I can't make a full commitment though because, well, I'm busy a lot :(

Why don't everyone that is interested in whatever way get on IRC somewhere later tonight? Hammer out some infos and stuff?

• Like 1

If anyone is about and wants to talk about this, head onto Freenode and join #NeowinLinuxChat :)

(chat.freenode.net)

I had a few ideas i wanted to share.

1. Lets make a distro which seamless syncs with any available online service. Lets say Google.

It automatically syncs your folders with google drive, syncs your picture folder with picasa, syncs your chrome etc. And all this happens during or immediately after first login. something like akonadi, but not really that dumb

2. Build this using some base which has good package management, (i would say Ubuntu) but won't just be repackaging.

?. Include some neowin built apps which can would be better that alternatives

4. Also give an option of packages while installing, as to what packages are to be installed. (Personally i have to remove half my useless apps after installing ubuntu)

As far as contribution is concerned, I am willing to work on this one. I am not an expert, neither I have experience of working on something of this kind, but I can code and test.

Anyone on IRC yet?

I would help out where i can aswell :)

cant get on irc for another couple of hours

OK there's a bit of problem with using IRC... Timezones! :/.

I might fire up irssi in a minute and have a look.

Nah I'm not suitable for project management, someone with skill/expertise needs to step up for that! :p

Is the room moderated or do you need to register on the IRC server or what?

[23:46] < n_K> hi.

[23:46] *** #NeowinLinuxChat Cannot send to channel

[23:46] <@stocker360> ?

[23:46] < n_K> ^ can't send to channel...

[23:46] *** #NeowinLinuxChat Cannot send to channel

Yeah thats my bad, it seems every time I leave, Chanserv comes in and sets the channel to invite only moderated :/

Sorry guys! :) couldn't contribute even though I was logged in. Entire conversation took place when i was in office! :)

So are we there? Do we have project manager?