Apple's WWDC 2012 event

Brendando

Here we go. Turn-by-turn. Its coming.

BOOM! And here it is.

NeoXY

Turn-by-turn is looking awfully sweet especially with Siri integration...

Can I say this is all really coming together with car manufactures signing on to this thing. It's pretty incredible.

Macsen Overdrive

Passbook = perfect way for everybody to track you.

Brandon H

And now Maps. Wonder if there's a Street View equivalent if they're really ditching Google.

according to the rumors Apple is working on something like that

Denis W.

Crowd-sourced traffic information from iOS users. Interesting! Though I can imagine another wave of privacy hawks concerned that information can be misused by law enforcement.

NeoXY

Can I just say, this keynote have just been incredible. So incredible infact, there might even be a "one more thing" at the end.....

• Like 1

.Neo

Passbook = perfect way for everybody to track you.

They already do every time someone posts a tweet, something on Facebook, use your credit card, etc.? :rolleyes:

Denis W.

according to the rumors Apple is working on something like that

Well if that's the case, then great. :)

Though I can't imagine how they can match Google's massive database of photos taken from their Street View cars. Or perhaps for the time being, Apple can maintain a limited partnership with Google with respect to Street View?

Or more likely, we'll have a separate Google Maps app to play around with.

NeoXY

From the live blog, the 3D looks pretty cool. But they are calling it "something fun". So I bet its not as complete or as good as Google's. Although this being said, the technology is totally there...

.Neo

Their mapping solution looks nice and all for people living in the United States, but I'm really anxious about how many features will be unavailable here? :/

NeoXY

I JUST SAW ALARM WITH SONG ON THE SLIDE. **** YEAH!

• Like 1

Brendando

I know this isn't a huge deal for everybody, but Alarm with Song! Finally :)

NeoXY

One more thing is coming. I just know it...

Astra.Xtreme

Wow this new maps app is going to be epic! I'd have to say this is the first time I've really gave a damn about an iOS update. Well done Apple!

Brendando

One more thing is coming. I just know it...

Would be so sweet.

NeoXY

One more thing. One more thing. One more thing. COME ON TIM!

• Like 1

.Neo

One more thing: Still no new iWork. Surprise!

• Like 1

NeoXY

AWWWWWWWWW no one more thing. Sorry folks.

Brendando

:(

Brendando

To be fair, they did announce a TONNE of great stuff. I'm very content. One more thing would have been a very Steve-esque icing on the cake moment.

NeoXY

No new iMac, no new MacPro. Sorry folks.

Rudy

New maps app is great news! iOS always had inferior maps compared to Android :/ Now maybe google will release their own google maps app on iOS and we can use the best one

Rudy

No new iMac, Mac Pro and Mac Mini.....wtf

Hell-In-A-Handbasket

While I do like a lot of things a about iOS, I think it's a rip that the iPad 1st Gen is being left out. It's only had 1 Main iOS update, that's a crock of crap

*edit - also I still looks like Siri and some of the notification things ( saw what looked like a weather widget in the notification area ) are not coming to the iPad, mainly because after they talked about changes to the dealer, and iPad doesn't have a weather app built in? Which is also a crock

NeoXY

People shouldn`t be complaining about the lack of new iMac and MacMini. There really wasn`t that much rumors or build up. But the Mac Pro. Man I thought we were gonna see a new version.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Usama Jawad96
      App Store leak hints at new watchOS 8 apps
      by Usama Jawad

With just a day to go before Apple kicks off its developer-focused WWDC 2021 event, leaks about the company's plans have already started to surface. Although we know that the Cupertino tech giant is going to show off the next generations of its operating systems, including iOS 15, watchOS 8, tvOS 15, and macOS 12, comprehensive details are not known as of yet.

Now, a new leak has revealed that Apple may be looking to launch new apps for watchOS 8.

Developer Khaos Tian has noted that the App Store manifest has been updated, and now contains references to several mysterious app bundles such as:

com.apple.NanoTips com.apple.NanoContacts com.apple.Mind com.apple.findmy.finditems It is important to note that "Nano" typically refers to watchOS apps, which suggests that Tips and Contacts will be launching as standalone apps in watchOS 8, similar to the existing app landscape in iOS.

Meanwhile, 9to5Mac reports that there have been several rumors in the past about Apple working on mental health features, so the third entry could be a dedicated app in that domain. Finally, the last entry's identifier is different from the existing "Find My" app which suggests that Apple could be launching support for finding items as a standalone app. Considering that the last two bundle IDs do not contain "Nano" in their respective names, it's likely that these two apps will be present on both iOS and watchOS.

That said, it is important to remember that this is all speculation for now, and we'll be learning more about Apple's plans in this space between June 7 and June 11.

• By Rich Woods
      Apple is holding its next event next week
      by Rich Woods

It's once again time for Apple's spring event, the company announced today. The event will be broadcasted from Apple Park, and of course, you can stream it virtually. It will be on April 20 at 10am PT.

As for what we're expecting to see at the event, that's anyone's guess, but there have been a lot of rumors about upcoming products. First of all, don't expect a new iPhone; that's a September thing.

The most likely product that we'll see is a refreshed iPad Pro. The current ones are over a year old, and even when they were new, they were a very minor refresh with an A12Z processor and LiDAR. The new ones are expected to include a powerful A14X processor, a mini-LED display, and more.

A new iPad mini is possible, since there was a leak for that in January. Indeed, the current one is actually over two years old. Don't expect any non-Pro iPads though, since those are fairly new. There have been rumors of a new Apple TV with a microphone, camera, and a decent remote, so that's possible.

And of course, new Macs are possible, since Apple is continuing to transition its lineup from Intel-powered to Apple Silicon. That would likely include something along the lines of an M1X chip for a more powerful MacBook.

For the most part, we'll find out on April 20. But also, the company could announce products via a press release later that week.

• By Jay Bonggolto
      Siri may have spilled the beans on when Apple will unveil the new iPad Pro
      by Jay Bonggolto

Apple is expected to launch its new 12.9-inch iPad Pro in the second half of April, although the tablet could also be limited in availability due to scarce supply for the mini-LED displays. Now, Siri may have revealed when the next-generation tablet will see the light of day along with the AirTags trackers.

When asked about Apple's next event, the digital assistant returned a response that said a special event would take place on April 20 at Apple Park in Cupertino, California. Siri even pointed to Apple's website for more details about the event, although there's no relevant information to be found there for now.

That said, if you're looking to attend a physical event, you may be in for a bit of disappointment. The unveiling will presumably be pre-recorded and it will be available for viewing via Apple's website and YouTube channel.

In addition to mini-LEDs, the new iPad Pro models were also rumored to incorporate a new processor and Thunderbolt connectivity. Currently, the iPad Pro lineup features LCD screens, but replacing them with mini-LEDs will bring improvements including brighter colors and higher contrast ratios.

As for the AirTags, they were initially expected to launch along with the iPhone 12 in October of last year, although that didn't pan out.

Source: MacRumors

• By Rich Woods
      Apple is set to announce iOS 15 and more on June 7
      by Rich Woods

Today, Apple is announcing its next big developer conference, which will be held between June 7 and June 11. While it's set to once again be an online-only event, WWDC is back to its original timing, as it's usually held in early June. Last year, things were a bit out of whack thanks to the emerging pandemic.

As for what to expect, there are certain things that are like clockwork for Apple. On day one, there will be a keynote. At that event, Apple is going to show off the next generations of its operating systems, including iOS 15, watchOS 8, tvOS 15, and macOS 12.

But also, keep in mind that it's a developer show. Throughout the week, developers will get a chance to get deep dives on all of the new stuff, such as new APIs available in the new software. Also, last year, Apple announced the transition to Apple Silicon at WWDC, and given that the hero image for the show recreates the moment where Craig Federighi showed off the first Apple Silicon Macs, that's likely to play a big part in the show as well.

While it's a developer event that focuses on software, it certainly wouldn't be the first time that Apple showed off new hardware at WWDC, especially if that new hardware has features that developers need to tune their apps for. Perhaps we'll finally see a new Apple TV, some new Apple Silicon Macs, or none of that.

• By Ather Fawaz
      MacBook Air with Apple's M1 chipset outscores the 16-inch MacBook Pro in Geekbench
      by Ather Fawaz

On November 10, Apple introduced its first lineup of MacBooks and Mac Minis rocking the ARM-based M1 chipset. As expected, Apple's silicone enabled better performance at greater power efficiency. Apple claims that its M1 silicone has the world's highest performance per watt. In fact, Apple says that the chip can reach the same performance as an existing PC chip at one-quarter of the power. It also has the world's fastest integrated graphics, according to the Cupertino firm, which claimed that the octa-core GPU is twice as fast when pitted against competitors, while still using less power. And the latest benchmarks certainly point towards that direction.

On the Geekbench 5 benchmark, the newly announced MacBook Air clocked a score of 7433 on the multi-core test and 1687 on the single-core test. Both scores eclipse the higher-end 16-inch MacBook Pro that comes with an Intel Core i9 processor, which has 6870 on the multi-core test and 1096 on the single-core test. For greater context, the M1's Geekbench scores mimic those set by last year's entry-level Mac Pro, which had a 7989 multi-core score and a 1024 single-core score.

The benchmarks also showed that the M1 chipset has a base frequency of 3.20GHz backed by 8GB of RAM. For comparison, the octa-core Intel Core i9 processor on the 16-inch MacBook Pro has a base clock of 2.3GHz, which can turbo boosted to 4.8GHz. Obviously, the RAM configuration on the 16-inch MacBook Pro varies.

M1's GPU Performance VS Power M1's CPU Performance VS Power At its One More Thing event, the Cupertino firm claimed that the MacBook Air had up to 3.5 times the CPU performance of the previous generation, 5 times the GPU performance, and 9 times the machine learning performance, making it faster than 98% of PC laptops sold in the last year. All of this combined with the optimizations of MacOS Big Sur coupled with the potential to run native iPadOS and iOS make Apple's new lineup a promising one.

These figures are more impressive when you realize the fact that the MacBook Air is a fan-less machine clocking these numbers. Since Apple confirmed that all newly announced Macs have the same octa-core M1 chipset across the board, the MacBook Pro and Mac Mini with better cooling might perform even better.

While the Geekbench scores above do lend some credence to Apple's claims, of course, it goes without saying that benchmarks only capture one side of the story. Even if we were to set aside the dodgy business of comparing scores across distinct architectures, real-world usage depends on plenty of other factors as well.