Windows 8 Release Preview Discussion

Nope. Zoom out, and right click on a select group, you can then give it a name.

Ah, that did it. I was right-clicking on a group, but not on an actual icon in the group. That's why I couldn't find the option.

Another dumb question: Is there a way to add more than one mailbox to the Metro Mail app? I was able to add my WLM fine, but I can't figure out how to add my Gmail or AOL mailboxes. I've right-clicked all over the app, and the plus in the upper right only lets me compose a new message.

The B8 blog post some people have brought up is one I remember, but I can't remember the name of it. It's not so much about apps or the start screen "scaling" to make things bigger (bigger text, bigger tiles etc) so much as automatically showing more stuff on the screen. That is, if the app is coded right in the first place.

Long story short the start screen by default does this, on lower res screens you only get 3 rows of tiles, on bigger desktop monitors you get up to 6 rows (6 might be the limit I think). If you look at the picture of the big 80" tv running the start screen you'll see what they mean, the tiles aren't "bigger" you just see "more" of them on the bigger screen. Of course if you only have 10 tiles up on a 30" monitor then the point is moot.

Apps can be the same, though the developer has to work it that way, but they can show "more" content on a bigger screen if they're done right. At this point you're just not seeing it yet though.

Here, a quick search in bing found the post for me.

http://blogs.msdn.co...nt-screens.aspx

This is the MSNBC News app. One story essentially scrolls into the next w/o much space between them at all.

content2.th.jpg

content1.th.jpg

Another dumb question: Is there a way to add more than one mailbox to the Metro Mail app? I was able to add my WLM fine, but I can't figure out how to add my Gmail or AOL mailboxes. I've right-clicked all over the app, and the plus in the upper right only lets me compose a new message.

I added my gmail to the Messaging App and it appeared in the Mail app

When in the mail app, bring up Charms (bottom/top right corner) select Settings>Accounts proceed to add your Gmail. Just an FYI, the app isn't fully featured yet, so you won't be able to add POP accounts and such like Yahoo. This won't hit till the RTM most likely.

When in the mail app, bring up Charms (bottom/top right corner) select Settings>Accounts proceed to add your Gmail. Just an FYI, the app isn't fully featured yet, so you won't be able to add POP accounts and such like Yahoo. This won't hit till the RTM most likely.

Ah, thanks. I don't think I would have ever found that on my own. It also won't let me add my AOL account at this time, but that's alright, I'm sure that will change come RTM.

Not happy that a lot of the apps are US exclusive.

So far, I am unable to get:

* Amazon

* TuneIn Radio

* AccuWeather

and a few others I really wanted to try out. Thanks MS. Why the need to limit it?

This is the MSNBC News app. One story essentially scrolls into the next w/o much space between them at all.

content2.th.jpg

content1.th.jpg

That's a good example of a app taking the screen into consideration. I expect to see more apps in time that "scale" all the way up to 30" screens without leaving all the empty space people have brought up.

I can't get a picture of it, but has anyone noticed how IE10 is using a slightly different scroll bar from the rest of Win8? The scroll boxes are taller on IE, making them rectangular, yet everywhere else they are a standard size, making them square.

I have no idea why it's like this but it's just another example of strange inconsistency for no real reason.

Ah, thanks. I don't think I would have ever found that on my own. It also won't let me add my AOL account at this time, but that's alright, I'm sure that will change come RTM.

Try and get used to it for most apps :p Most of them will be putting their share, settings, printing and search features in the charms bar, something a lot of people miss.

Still can't see any reason to update from Win 7, quite the opposite with Media Center and DVD playback removed.

AERO interface still intact despite us all hearing of it's demise so how it this an RC?

Still can't see any reason to update from Win 7, quite the opposite with Media Center and DVD playback removed.

AERO interface still intact despite us all hearing of it's demise so how it this an RC?

It's not a Release Candidate :p

Windows Media Centre is not pre-installed in Windows 8 Release Preview. If you want to use Windows Media Centre, you need to add it by following these steps:

1.Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search.

(If you're using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, and then click Search.)

2.Enter add features in the search box, and then tap or click Add features to Windows 8.

3.Tap or click I already have a product key.

4.Enter this product key: MBFBV-W3DP2-2MVKN-PJCQD-KKTF7 and then click Next.

5.Select the check-box to accept the license terms and then click Add features.

Your PC will restart and Windows Media Centre will now be on your PC and the tile will be pinned to the Start screen.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-8/faq

Essentially it is the RC, even though MS renamed everything to Preview

Given that Release Candidates are builds that are actual candidate builds to become the RTM, this by definition isn't an RC build :p Though it's probably quite close to it all things given.

Given that Release Candidates are builds that are actual complete candidate builds to become the RTM, this by definition isn't an RC build :p Though it's probably quite close to it all things given.

Aren't the Release Candidates, the candidates for the RTM phase, not the actual RTM itself ?

So the RC will end up being the base for the RTM builds, and one of those will end up as Gold RTM

I'm sure the M1> M2 > etc > Beta > RC > RTM are all different trunks so to speak, and the best of each becomes the base for the next

Given that Release Candidates are builds that are actual complete candidate builds to become the RTM, this by definition isn't an RC build :p Though it's probably quite close to it all things given.

Pretty sure somewhere a little back there was a quote from the EULA with the product as RC3

Windows Media Centre is not pre-installed in Windows 8 Release Preview. If you want to use Windows Media Centre, you need to add it by following these steps:

1.Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search.

(If you're using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, and then click Search.)

2.Enter add features in the search box, and then tap or click Add features to Windows 8.

3.Tap or click I already have a product key.

4.Enter this product key: MBFBV-W3DP2-2MVKN-PJCQD-KKTF7 and then click Next.

5.Select the check-box to accept the license terms and then click Add features.

Your PC will restart and Windows Media Centre will now be on your PC and the tile will be pinned to the Start screen.

http://windows.micro...B/windows-8/faq

Keep in mind this will NOT be free after RTM.

Media Center used to be a niche application (remember, it was exclusive to XP Media Center Edition originally) - the codecs themselves come with third-party applications (free or fee).

The change (for BYOPC) is minimal to nil (did you NOT see the thread on how to add Media Center to the Release Preview?).

Aero itself did undergo some changes in the RC - it's actually closer to the Aero Lite Glass option that you had to go through some hoops to enable in the Consumer or Developer Previews.

While Mail doesn't support POP3 accounts, it does indeed support GMail/Google Mail; the Mail app itself also snaps to one side or the other of another app (whether Metro or not; I exited out of MetroIE, and went back to Waterfox (which I had open on the desktop) - Waterfox is now on Mail's right).

Aren't the Release Candidates, the candidates for the RTM phase, not the actual RTM itself ?

So the RC will end up being the base for the RTM builds, and one of those will end up as Gold RTM

I'm sure the M1> M2 > etc > Beta > RC > RTM are all different trunks so to speak, and the best of each becomes the base for the next

This isn't a release candidate.

An RC is a build that could just have it's build number changes and be signed off on as RTM. Typically an RC will become RTM unless a MAJOR bug pops up. This release preview will not even be considered for RTM.

This isn't a release candidate.

An RC is a build that could just have it's build number changes and be signed off on as RTM. Typically an RC will become RTM unless a MAJOR bug pops up. This release preview will not even be considered for RTM.

True, as there are changes that WILL appear in the RTM that the RP does not have.

Media Center - this will be included with Windows 8 Professional, but will be an (extra-cost) add-on for the Core editions (basically, if you want the Media Center without quibbling, go Pro).

What I'm awaiting is to see the upgrade (yes - *upgrade*) SKUs supported from 7 Home Premium or above (the only SKUs on the 7-based PCs I support are Home Premium or Ultimate). Because 8 Pro replaces 7 Ultimate at the top of the Windows food chain (no 8 Ultimate), I would seriously expect that upgrades from 7 Ultimate to 8 Professional will be supported (likely at the cost of 7 Ultimate to 8 Core) at least in non-emerging markets. I also expect a price difference in terms of upgrades from 7 HP to 8 Professional (as opposed to 7 Business, Professional, or Ultimate).

However, that is policy - not normally in the scope of this thread.

Media Center - this will be included with Windows 8 Professional, but will be an (extra-cost) add-on for the Core editions (basically, if you want the Media Center without quibbling, go Pro).

http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/b/bloggingwindows/archive/2012/04/16/announcing-the-windows-8-editions.aspx

Windows Media Center will be available as an economical ?media pack? add-on to Windows 8 Pro.

So yes, if you pay extra for it..

Question for Win8 RP users with smallish SSDs that they use for boot drives. With Win7 it was a fairly complicated process to move the user folders and such to another drive to save space on the SSD, is it still complicated and is it even possible on Win8? Before I give this thing another shot (I really WANT to like it) I need to know if I'm going to run into any issues with that.