Windows 8 Release Preview Discussion

I imagine that will be one of the first Metro apps made - one that lets you shut down and restart your computer from a tile. It's unbelievable that Microsoft hasn't addressed a very legitimate issue and common complaint.

In my opinion the power options should be moved to the user tile menu. That way you just have to click your avatar and have every option there.

• Like 1

Yeah, but since Microsoft doesn't seem interested in the Live Essentials apps anymore, it's going to leave a huge gap in Windows.

However, notice that the core of the WLE apps (those that had a following) are now part of the operating system (where Microsoft did, in fact, want them in the case of Windows 7).

The products that haven't done as well haven't exactly been lacking for ready replacements (while they move to WinRT or die altogether); expect Adobe to come hard with Photoshop Elements, for example.

If Microsoft doesn't have a product in a niche - someone else will.

I was just thinking that if they really want this to land for tablets , why are they not considering a top status bar? I mean even WP7 has it for phones. A bar wouldn't have mattered much , and i don't think tablet users would like to go to desktop or swipe here and there just to see their battery. And hence use that bar for maybe for placing some buttons like multitasking (win key + tab) etc? I mean even to see time you have to swipe , that's ridiculous.

(I am suggesting this to be added only for tablets , not for desktop , hell no)

post-293012-0-76203300-1338648565_thumb.

In my opinion the power options should be moved to the user tile menu. That way you just have to click your avatar and have every option there.

I agree. Either there on the user options menu or on an icon right next to the user menu. There's really no need to hide the option to shut down a PC as deeply as they have done.

I agree. Either there on the user options menu or on an icon right next to the user menu. There's really no need to hide the option to shut down a PC as deeply as they have done.

Why not just have them in one spot on the Charms Bar? Just a thought:

But the more I use Windows 8 and even Windows 7 on the desktop, the more I'm convinced that shutting down just isn't important anymore. With the power options the same asd Windows 7, I've stopped caring that the shut down options are moved in Windows 8 because I've set my hardware power buttons to do all the work, and if I forget to use them, my machines auto sleep after 30 minutes. Even on a laptop, I rarely shut down anymore, as I just pop the lid shut (which put the laptop to sleep) and pack it away. I can come back to it even hours later with no significant battery loss.

In the Developer and Consumer Preview, there was a way to snap Metro Apps alongside desktop apps, even if your desktop was below the required resolution. However this hack doesn't seem to work in the Release Preview. Anyone know how to do this?

Well windows 8 is annoying with full screen windowed games... Charm bar and start graphics pop up all the damn time playing starcraft, is there a way to turn those things off?

I was just thinking that if they really want this to land for tablets , why are they not considering a top status bar? I mean even WP7 has it for phones. A bar wouldn't have mattered much , and i don't think tablet users would like to go to desktop or swipe here and there just to see their battery. And hence use that bar for maybe for placing some buttons like multitasking (win key + tab) etc? I mean even to see time you have to swipe , that's ridiculous.

(I am suggesting this to be added only for tablets , not for desktop , hell no)

post-293012-0-76203300-1338648565_thumb.

because it's a ridiculous waste of space to constantly show it like that. and no, WP7 doesn't have a bar like this. it have time hovering over content (unless app developer decided to add background for it or remove it completely) with more info appearing with swipe or tap from top. also in landscape mode all the status objects move to the side with respect to the phone's orientation (time shows where the physical top of the phone is, app bar show where the bottom is).

in Windows 8 when you swipe for charms bar, you also get the time, network status and possibly battery status (don't remember how is it on laptops) that being said, it would make sense to add some more status info from apps, so you don't have to relock tablet just to see it on lock screen.

^ Why don't Apple and Google Android think the same?

Anyways i guess people have to get used to Swiping on tablets and hovering and waiting with mouse on Windows from now on...

I uploaded many screenshots of Windows 8 Release Preview for those who are interested in seeing them.

http://mytechstuffbl...creenshots.html

The Task Manager has had a major overall which is good to see.

It's a little tricky to figure out how to do things without the Start Menu but I'm glad that they're doing an overhaul of it.

Anyways i guess people have to get used to Swiping on tablets and hovering and waiting with mouse on Windows from now on...

Or you use the vast number of keyboard shortcuts and you do everything faster. Seems for all the power users we have in here most of them are heavy mouse users, you'd expect that everyone in this category would use kb shortcuts for as much as possible.

thanks for the reply man.. puts my mind at ease a bit knowing it's not just me. It's annoying as hell and i'm sure it will be fixed cause its pretty major, but i'm glad i'm not alone.

Doesn't seem to just be Chrome. I just had a freeze with IE and VLC open. Wasn't doing anything in IE when it froze. Between my MacBook and this Desktop, the only few things in common are:

Skydrive app

Intel 2nd Generation Core i5/i7 (desktop/laptop)

AMD GPU 7850/6490 (desktop/laptop)

Do you have any of these things going?

Or you use the vast number of keyboard shortcuts and you do everything faster. Seems for all the power users we have in here most of them are heavy mouse users, you'd expect that everyone in this category would use kb shortcuts for as much as possible.

Exactly my thoughts. Charms bar is just a quick Win+C away...

Totally, and Windows 8 is awesome and works great on my Acer W500 touchscreen tablet... I love it on that...

I also have it on that,the Metro part of it works great and while the desktop also works well I wouldn't want to use the tablet as a means of productivity on the desktop side.

o.o if you're using a laptop with a Geforce GTX 260m, don't use the latest Win 8 beta drivers, it'll fook Firefox up hard. Distorted bar at the top and graphics glitches all around.

Why assume that their way is the best way? Auto-hiding network status icons removes unnecessary visual clutter and works very well in Windows Phone. I don't need to be constantly reminded of my signal strength but when I want to check it it's easy to quickly swipe from the edge of the screen.

they shouldn't. and it seems like they have this status bar idea as legacy habit from older dumb phones, something people got used to. I'm glad MS got a different view on design, allowing more content-oriented experience.

I guess i did mention the word "Tablet" :/ For a second forget it is for Desktop , how good will it be for tablets? Swiping for small things like checking time and stuff. Anyways i don't think i need to use charms bar (unless I use some metro apps , which i still can't find a reason to,on a desktop) , so the only thing i use is the "windows key".

Why assume that their way is the best way? Auto-hiding network status icons removes unnecessary visual clutter and works very well in Windows Phone. I don't need to be constantly reminded of my signal strength but when I want to check it it's easy to quickly swipe from the edge of the screen.

You should always be reminded of your signal strength as it is highly variable and online apps won't work depending on your signal strength.

You should always be reminded of your signal strength as it is highly variable and online apps won't work depending on your signal strength.

Yes, but with Windows Phone, it's not always on screen creating clutter. When I want to check my signal, the indicator is only a swipe away. I don't need every single control, icon, or indicator on screen at once.

well, it would be good if the status rectangle (time+network+battery) would appear for a few seconds in case network got disconnected (something WP7 does in it's own way).

but still, if you have bad signal, what can you do about it? sometimes apps have troubles with connection even when you do have max signal, so I think it's not that relevant.

Neowin goes wall-to-wall on my 22" monitor when I turn on expanded width. Does yours not?

As to the preview apps: they're still marked as that: preview. If you find their functionality lacking, continue using your old desktop apps until they're satisfactory. If you don't tell them what you don't like they can't implement it.

Your past two replies have next to nothing to do with what I'm saying. It's like me asking "What time is it?" and you replying with "The color of the sky is blue". Anyway, Vice rephrased what I'm referring to:

His point is, we with large screens don't like full screening anything. That is the whole point we bought such large screens to run multiple apps side by side all the time. I never full screen anything except Photoshop and Games. Really.

I am really disappointed ...

this is the release preview..

The 1st Party apps are pathetic. In terms of Stability and usage only IE10 is release quality.

The store is so so bad..

1. it crashes the whole system at times

2. I had a memory leak of 2gb in the store

3. it stops downloading or installing if u don't have it on screen

Well windows 8 is annoying with full screen windowed games... Charm bar and start graphics pop up all the damn time playing starcraft, is there a way to turn those things off?

I notice this happens in League of Legends if i have it on borderless windowed mode, but i've yet to have the issue in fullscreen games.