Going to buy a Mac Book Pro

:o I know, I know.

I just found out that it is a requirement of my course in College. So I have a question. Student Discounts. I know they exist. But if I were to go to my nearest Apple store, what do I do? Show them my acceptance letter and photo ID? I don't have my Student ID just yet, but I'd rather buy my Mac now before they run out. So will that work for student discounts?

In Canada if you order online they require no proof, in store they just want to see your student id

But you REALLY should wait for next week when the new model will come out (they won't run out lol)

Off-topic: Why it is a requirement? Do they distribute some kind of software exclusive to OSX?

Off-topic: Why it is a requirement? Do they distribute some kind of software exclusive to OSX?

Sometimes they want all the students to have the same computers to make it easier. My sister in law was in a program and they were required to buy a certain laptop (I think it was Dell or HP)

Sometimes they want all the students to have the same computers to make it easier. My sister in law was in a program and they were required to buy a certain laptop (I think it was Dell or HP)

Hmm, i haven't seen any colleges with such requirements. News for me. Thanks for clearing up.

Really? I thought it was bad enough buying specific revision textbooks for $150 when I went to school.. Glad I never needed an immensely overpriced laptop! MBP is like $1250 and up! I see acers are available at walmart for under $350. Whoever your course instructor is should have to shell out for em or give a DAMN good reason why Win/Ubuntu laptop won't work, or a $600 Mac Mini. The schools I heard doing this, provided the system for a $150-200 'rental fee' for the year or something (back then they were $3000 systems) Best part is if it broke, you just swapped it out no cost or downtime.

My humble suggestion:

Go buy one to 'trial' at futureshop/BestBuy/department store with a return policy for 14 days, get a store credit card if you have to. Then return it and upgrade to the new refresh, either at Apple Store or via the Dept store you originally bought at. I heard every Mac system is getting a refresh.. Best is the 'old' models should be discounted.

./edit - missed it, but http://www.neowin.ne...sh-specs-leaked

./edit edit - the also sell refurb models on the apple store that are a bit cheaper with full warranty and fast free shipping.

In Canada if you order online they require no proof, in store they just want to see your student id

But you REALLY should wait for next week when the new model will come out (they won't run out lol)

oh new model? Approx when?

@simrat, yeah mine is a laptop-based program.

MBP is like $1250 and up! I see acers are available at walmart for under $350.

Yes and Acer stands for quality, performance and awesome customer service.

Oh wait, it doesn't stand for any of that. Jesus christ..

• Like 1

Definately want to wait till the new model is out. Faster processor and newer OS. Keep in mind with a mbp you can run more OSes easier. Just boot camp or use virtualbox as needed.

Definately want to wait till the new model is out. Faster processor and newer OS. Keep in mind with a mbp you can run more OSes easier. Just boot camp or use virtualbox as needed.

So it will be unveiled next week?

So it will be unveiled next week?

Yes, reliable sources like Bloomberg, Wall Street Journal, and ABC News all point to a release at WWDC next week.

With Mac updates they're usually available to buy the same day or a couple of days later.

Your Student ID or acceptance letter should be enough to get you the education discount. You might also want to wait for the yearly Back To School promotion to start. Last year buying a Mac with the student discount during the Back to School event got you a free $100 App Store gift card, and the year before you got a free iPod touch. It started on June 16th last year, probably similar timing this year.

Yes, reliable sources like Bloomberg, Wall Street Journal, and ABC News all point to a release at WWDC next week.

With Mac updates they're usually available to buy the same day or a couple of days later.

Your Student ID or acceptance letter should be enough to get you the education discount. You might also want to wait for the yearly Back To School promotion to start. Last year buying a Mac with the student discount during the Back to School event got you a free $100 App Store gift card, and the year before you got a free iPod touch. It started on June 16th last year, probably similar timing this year.

Ah thank you.

In my college, there is no such restrictions. There a colleagues of mine that use Ubuntu, Linux mint, Windows 7, Mac os x... all running in different machines and all teachers feel comfortable with those OSe's. Sometimes, there is no port for an application so the teachers suggest other software. I enrolled for electrical and computer engineering and bought a mac, which I greatly regret. The system is underpowered and expensive in comparison to some other laptops, lacks many useful interfaces and official upgrades are way more expensive. If your course has anything to do with graphic design, animation and the like run away from macs and opt for something like lenovo thinkpad W series or a dell precision. If you don't need demanding graphic rendering (games, design, etc) choose sth like a lenovo thinkpad from the T series. I really like apple's OS, however it can be ran on the pc for personal use without legal issues(I think).

Kid: Hey mom, dad... I need a Mac Book Pro for my College courses

Mom/Dad: No you don't, take this new Windows 7 Laptop we bought you

Kid: But it's a specific requirement of the school, it has to be a Mac Book Pro

Mom/Dad: Oh, well in that case...

Well played sir.. well played.... :shifty: :shiftyninja: :woot:

Yes and Acer stands for quality, performance and awesome customer service.

Oh wait, it doesn't stand for any of that. Jesus christ..

What? I don't see your point.

What you saying is like to pass a drivers test you need a Ferrari, because a Ford won't do...

Im not recommending a $350 acer over MBP, thats foolish. I'm using them as an example of a cheap alternative to a MBP.

I have had both manufacturers products over the past few years (iconia tablet, ipad, acer laptop, macbook) and they all work perfectly. Each has its thing it does better/worse than the other one...

To me customer service would be equal, I have no apple store with a genius bar anywhere remotely close so the mail it is...

Kid: Hey mom, dad... I need a Mac Book Pro for my College courses

Mom/Dad: No you don't, take this new Windows 7 Laptop we bought you

Kid: But it's a specific requirement of the school, it has to be a Mac Book Pro

Mom/Dad: Oh, well in that case...

Well played sir.. well played.... :shifty: :shiftyninja: :woot:

If that's one way to get a descent computer I'd say go for it :woot:

Trust me guys, I wouldn't want a mac anyway. But I have to get one for my course. :\. I personally don't want to spend that much money on a comp, I'd rather save it up for my car/desktop pc upgrades/games.

Wait till next week, just don't read all the annoying sticker leaks right now *ahem*

macbook-pro-2012-9to5mac-slim.jpg?w=657&h=451

Yeah, lots of stuff flying around right now as it always does just before an announcement. For one thing there's no listed Ivy Bridge Mobile processor with both 2.6-to-3.6Ghz clock speeds and 8mb of cache, so that probably goes in the "fake" pile.

Razorwing- check the official Apple refrurbished machines on their website. They are as good as a new machine (Apple completely rebuilds them) and are cheaper.

Razorwing- check the official Apple refrurbished machines on their website. They are as good as a new machine (Apple completely rebuilds them) and are cheaper.

I'll guess I'll see what the new ones look like first. But that's a good idea man. Thanks.

All Animation and Computer Arts, Graphic Design and Media Art students must purchase an Apple laptop computer with appropriate software at my university. So it's not surprising to me that his would request the same.

Definitely hold off, though. It's going to be worth it. :)

:o I know, I know.

I just found out that it is a requirement of my course in College. So I have a question. Student Discounts. I know they exist. But if I were to go to my nearest Apple store, what do I do? Show them my acceptance letter and photo ID? I don't have my Student ID just yet, but I'd rather buy my Mac now before they run out. So will that work for student discounts?

Apple Stores never run out. New one's should be out in a week, and you can walk in and say "this school" and they just need your drivers license. Dont bothering ordering it online unless you want it shipped to your house or you have someone else paying for it and your picking it up in store.

Regardless, easier to just go get it from the store lol