Nokia Lumia 900 Launch in China with one of the best ads about Windows Phon

Does the ad also say your device will most likely won't make it to Windows Phone 8, released later this year?

It's a real shame though. Getting the Lumia 900 at the end of the month was pretty much a done deal for me until I read the news. I'll still wait for the 20th in the hopes of hearing something official from Microsoft before making my final decision.

Does the ad also say your device will most likely won't make it to Windows Phone 8, released later this year?

It's a real shame though. Getting the Lumia 900 at the end of the month was pretty much a done deal for me until I read the news. I'll still wait for the 20th in the hopes of hearing something official from Microsoft before making my final decision.

As long as we can run WinRT apps on WP7 devices, you won't need WP8 because you'll need an upgraded hardware to support the new features (ex: extractable microSD card support, higher screen resolution and so on).

[. . .]

Do you have any evidence to back up your assertion that it's "most likely," rather than merely possible or even unlikely?

Everything I have read would point to his assertion being correct Calum :\

Something which rather ****s me given I'm a first gen WP7 device owner :(

My impression: A flashy advertisement to disgue a mediocre product... Not to say that it is, that's just the impression that ad gave me based on the fact it was more of a dancing contest rather than showing off the phone and its features.

Though a company like Nokia does have to resort to such tactics when battling titans such as Samsung and Apple, whom of which are both gianormous in that region.

Everything I have read would point to his assertion being correct Calum :\

Something which rather ****s me given I'm a first gen WP7 device owner :(

I'm a first gen WP7 device owner as well and it's soon to be 2 years which sounds about right for a new phone to me. And as has been said, you'd need newer hardware to take advantage of some of the new things coming I bet, though right now it's just a guess. I think the rumor of a WP8 "lite" for older phones (what they're calling WP7.7), that brings a good chunk of new things to first gen devices is a nice middle ground.

wow really good advert best part is they only paid em 50p each!!

funny, kinda racist, but funny.

As long as we can run WinRT apps on WP7 devices, you won't need WP8 because you'll need an upgraded hardware to support the new features (ex: extractable microSD card support, higher screen resolution and so on).

You're not going to convince me all feaures require brand new hardware.

Do you have any evidence to back up your assertion that it's "most likely," rather than merely possible or even unlikely?

Check the front page of the forum you monitor, there was an article about it. Obviously nothing official yet, hence the reason I said I'll wait for the Microsoft presentation before making any final decision...

[. . .]

Check the front page of the forum you monitor, there was an article about it. Obviously nothing official yet, hence the reason I said I'll wait for the Microsoft presentation before making any final decision...

I saw that article, and I've seen other articles, but no article I've seen has included enough evidence for anyone to reasonably assert that this is the "most likely" case :)

I saw that article, and I've seen other articles, but no article I've seen has included enough evidence for anyone to reasonably assert that this is the "most likely" case :)

Since you like being pedantic <snipped>, calculate the ratio of the number of rumours that suggest WP8 won't be coming to existing devices versus the rumours that say it will, and then come back here and tell us that we're wrong to be pessimistic about it.

If the rumours that have been posted on your front page come from sources with zero credibility, why would you post them at all?

Edited by Calum
Please don't personally attack members.

Again, - and I'll just keep on repeating this - because it's still a rumor is why I'm waiting for the presentation before making a final decision. Something I said from the get-go. However, since most rumors are pointing in the same direction I'm highly sceptical Windows Phone 8 will come to current gen devices. Still hoping for the best though, I don't want to deal with this BlackBerry any longer than I have to.

Since you like being pedantic <snipped>, calculate the ratio of the number of rumours that suggest WP8 won't be coming to existing devices versus the rumours that say it will, and then come back here and tell us that we're wrong to be pessimistic about it.

If the rumours that have been posted on your front page come from sources with zero credibility, why would you post them at all?

I didn't claim that they have come from sources with no credibility. I stated that I don't believe there is enough evidence to suggest that Windows Phone 8 not coming to current devices is most likely. I would suggest it's only a possibility; that's why I asked .Neo if he has any hard evidence. It's not about being pedantic; I merely wanted to see how he would back up that bold claim. If I'm wrong about the amount of evidence, or the sources of these rumours are credible enough for us to be certain it's most likely, all someone has to do is prove that to me. I don't mind admitting when I'm wrong, of course, but I need to be proven wrong first.

I didn't claim that they have come from sources with no credibility. I stated that I don't believe there is enough evidence to suggest that Windows Phone 8 not coming to current devices is most likely. I would suggest it's only a possibility; that's why I asked .Neo if he has any hard evidence. It's not about being pedantic; I merely wanted to see how he would back up that bold claim.

It is pretty pedantic if you feel you have to force a quantitated differentiation between "most likely" and "a possibility" about something that there is no solid evidence for (one way or the other) and doesn't have a whole lot to do with the original topic.

Re-reading his comment I see nothing that needs to be clarified whatsoever. The general point is an accurate observation as it is still a huge grey area for anyone considering jumping to WP. You wouldn't want to buy a phone now that will stop receiving updates in six months time.

It is pretty pedantic if you feel you have to force a quantitated differentiation between "most likely" and "a possibility" about something that there is no solid evidence for (one way or the other) and doesn't have a whole lot to do with the original topic.

Re-reading his comment I see nothing that needs to be clarified whatsoever. The general point is an accurate observation as it is still a huge grey area for anyone considering jumping to WP. You wouldn't want to buy a phone now that will stop receiving updates in six months time.

You're right, it is pedantic. I stand corrected. I am very pedantic about phrasing of sentences because a slight difference in phrasing can often change the meaning quite a bit. In this case, though, you're right?that change in phrasing doesn't take away from the idea that anyone thinking of buying a Windows Phone at present should be cautious about the possibility that they might not be able to upgrade to Windows Phone 8.

As far as people who actually follow the software scene more like those on this forum do, then if the phone isn't going to get updates (which I doubt, full WP8 is a maybe but some type of update should be coming to at least 2nd gen devices), then we wouldn't be interested in it. Now the general consumer on the other hand? They're a different matter altogether and something the techies don't seem to fully realize or want to admit maybe?

For them, they don't care about future software updates even close to the level we do, or at all for that matter. We've seen this on the PC side for years, normal everyday Joe and Jane don't upgrade their PC OS. They just get new hardware that comes with the new OS, phones are the same deal with them. Lots of people I know update their phone every 1 or 2 years depending on the contract, they're going to get new hardware and thus the new software with it. These people don't really mind or care if they can get WP8 or not and they're the vast majority of the market in the end. So, if they buy a Lumia 900 today would they care if they can't get any updates for it after 6-8 months? I doubt it, because in 12 months they'll probably be up for a new phone and most will just get the new phone.

You're right, it is pedantic. I stand corrected. I am very pedantic about phrasing of sentences because a slight difference in phrasing can often change the meaning quite a bit. In this case, though, you're right?that change in phrasing doesn't take away from the idea that anyone thinking of buying a Windows Phone at present should be cautious about the possibility that they might not be able to upgrade to Windows Phone 8.

I don't see how you can say that. If you walk into a phone shop this afternoon and buy a Lumia 900 on a two year contract, you would stand to have 18 months with no updates (either for the OS or for apps) if you assumed all the rumours we have seen so far are inaccurate.

Microsoft's reluctancy to clarify the situation is hurting them. Prospective customers are losing confidence, and as a Lumia 800 user, I am too.

As far as people who actually follow the software scene more like those on this forum do, then if the phone isn't going to get updates (which I doubt, full WP8 is a maybe but some type of update should be coming to at least 2nd gen devices), then we wouldn't be interested in it. Now the general consumer on the other hand? They're a different matter altogether and something the techies don't seem to fully realize or want to admit maybe?

For them, they don't care about future software updates even close to the level we do, or at all for that matter. We've seen this on the PC side for years, normal everyday Joe and Jane don't upgrade their PC OS. They just get new hardware that comes with the new OS, phones are the same deal with them. Lots of people I know update their phone every 1 or 2 years depending on the contract, they're going to get new hardware and thus the new software with it. These people don't really mind or care if they can get WP8 or not and they're the vast majority of the market in the end. So, if they buy a Lumia 900 today would they care if they can't get any updates for it after 6-8 months? I doubt it, because in 12 months they'll probably be up for a new phone and most will just get the new phone.

They will care when their favourite app turns WP8-only.

I don't see how you can say that. If you walk into a phone shop this afternoon and buy a Lumia 900 on a two year contract, you would stand to have 18 months with no updates (either for the OS or for apps) if you assumed all the rumours we have seen so far are inaccurate.

Microsoft's reluctancy to clarify the situation is hurting them. Prospective customers are losing confidence, and as a Lumia 800 user, I am too.

I said that anyone thinking of buying a Windows Phone right now should be cautious that they might not see the next operating system update (or even updates subsequent to that), meaning I agree with you :) I think that one buying a Windows Phone right now would be foolish, if one is aware that Windows Phone 8 is coming and one would like to use operating system updates as soon as they're released, especially after the rumours we've seen. I don't think the rumours are inaccurate, and I didn't state that. I just mean that they might not be true. As they might be true and they might not be true, I see it as a 50/50 chance. Again, I could be wrong to view it like that, and if I am, I'd appreciate someone explaining to me why I should deem it "most likely."

I agree that Microsoft are causing themselves hurt by not clarifying the updating scenario; however, we don't know their reasons for being quiet about it.

If I were to see this commercial on the telly quickly, I would have absolutely no friggin' idea what they were trying to sell.

How about less cabaret act and more about the actual device? Then again, it's just a phone.

When the engineering team is able to run a fully functional NT6.2 Desktop on a previous generation, similar to chassis 1 old Windows mobile phone (256RAM) it is easy to assume that Microsoft will update all current gen phones to next major version. Sure some hardware specific changes won't work (as no FF camers, no compass, no gyroscope, no NFC, etc) but certainly it is coming. Microsoft has stated that the reason of being secretive about it is that it wants to catch the competition sleeping and I believe so. Steve Ballmer has stated that current gen1 customers are investing in the product, hinting at future updates.

Moreover a Giant manufacturer like Nokia would not even dare to launch in June/July a device that is probably not going to get the major update in October.

Clearly let's wait 8-9 days. I believe the holy cow of Microsoft's backwards compatibility (which was painful to cut at the WM->WP transition) will give us so many wonderful features. Features that needed to be implemented to catch the competition and features to leave them far behind, such as Social Integration and Infromation-like focus which probably iOS will bring in October too.