Earth may be near tipping point, scientists warn

According to..

Population_growth_rate_world_2005-2010_UN.PNG

It's Africa that is the problem, India and China are well within the norm in my book.

But, yeah, kind of stating the obvious, I stopped listening to these people a long time ago ..

Minus zero on that map's legend? Credibility is shot to hell there and then...

I get what it means, but mathematically it is nonsense. As you were chaps...

How is it mathematically nonsense exactly though? Those places all have a negative population growth going on, so wouldn't a -0 be a proper way of showing this?

Current "Austerity Measures" being foisted upon the Northern Hemispheres population. Fukashima radiation in both the jet stream & Ocean currents. The possibility of WW3 breaking out before this years end over Syria & Iran. I believe that there's plenty of scope for near-future population reduction, whether we want it or not.

mother nature events produce more "PRODUCT A" than all humans in the history of human existence (fill in product a with any natural byproduct; example:volcano, etc), to think we have any impact on this earth in a changing way is giving ourselves WAY to much credit.

This is what i understand from TV documentaries/the internet, of course there are many people that think the data is just compiled by governments so they can scare/control us??

As we know nature is finely balanced many plants and animal rely on temperature to know when to do certain things... so how about we put it this way...

1. Product A from volcanoes is absorbed by plants (on land and in the ocean(algae)) everything is nicely balanced.

2. Humans come along and deforest mass areas and pollute the ocean(kills algae). This disrupts the natural cycle of heating/cooling.

3. Product A from volcanoes is absorbed by (less) plants causing more to be in the atmosphere. tipping point reaches, everything is NOT nicely blanched.

4. Climate begins to change.

5. Climate change causes some plants in some area to die off, in other areas animal like bees struggle to adapt to the different in temperature. Less pollination = less plants.

6. Humans start pumping product A in to the atmosphere/water (how ever small amount it may be) further changing the climate.

Repeat step 5 and 6 (or catastrophic natural event) until the planet can handle no more and mass extinction occurs. The planet will then "cleanse" itself over thousands of years.

A few more points that i didn't think fitted in the above...

I think this is a key point why its called climate change rather than global warming now. When the ice at the north pole melts it turns the water cold, this flows out and disrupts the gulf stream. This will plunge all of north western Europe (??) in to extremely cold weather again killing everything. This might happen in other places too.

I did have another point, but i forgot it as i was typing the above. :laugh:

The tipping point will be reached when those production workers in India and China decide to charge the same for their labor as workers do in the west...

-0 means a negative population growth, there is no other way to show it, or did you expect to see a baby being pushed back into his mom's vagina ?

erm pics? pls?

j/k :D

Temperature is already rising here like hell, North India used to be cold, specially where i live, now it is hot as F***. Yesterday My city's temperature was 46oC, it almost roasted me. Even the Winters timing is messed up.

Temperature is already rising here like hell, North India used to be cold, specially where i live, now it is hot as F***. Yesterday My city's temperature was 46oC, it almost roasted me. Even the Winters timing is messed up.

That's 115F holy cow. That's like SW US temps, and Sahara temps and stuff. Is it anywhere normally that hot in Northern India? My guess is not this time of year at least?

1. Product A from volcanoes is absorbed by plants (on land and in the ocean(algae)) everything is nicely balanced.

If by Product A you mean CO2, then you are misinformed. The production of CO2 from volcanoes is negligible in comparison to what humans produce. Naturally occurring CO2 is a by product of living organisms. Then we go and burn the stuff that has been safely storing it away and out of circulation, and thus bring it straight back into circulation.

http://www.skeptical...ntermediate.htm

How is it mathematically nonsense exactly though? Those places all have a negative population growth going on, so wouldn't a -0 be a proper way of showing this?

-0 means a negative population growth, there is no other way to show it, or did you expect to see a baby being pushed back into his mom's vagina ?

Just "Negative growth" would have sufficed. But we are digressing.

According to..

Population_growth_rate_world_2005-2010_UN.PNG

It's Africa that is the problem, India and China are well within the norm in my book.

But, yeah, kind of stating the obvious, I stopped listening to these people a long time ago ..

FYI, China is giving away false CO2 readings. Yet it owns of the most contaminated cities, villages and rivers of the world.

That's 115F holy cow. That's like SW US temps, and Sahara temps and stuff. Is it anywhere normally that hot in Northern India? My guess is not this time of year at least?

2-3 years ago 35oC was really for hot for us, but from past 3 years summer is becoming hotter and winter is just for name, Winter used to freeze our bones but now it is just meh. My city is located in Shivalik Hills ( Part of Himalaya ), but nowdays it feels like we are in desert. Im scared about the future of this area.

2-3 years ago 35oC was really for hot for us, but from past 3 years summer is becoming hotter and winter is just for name, Winter used to freeze our bones but now it is just meh. My city is located in Shivalik Hills ( Part of Himalaya ), but nowdays it feels like we are in desert. Im scared about the future of this area.

Yeah here in South Florida it's normally pretty hot (and horribly humid, which we are famous for of course lol) during the Summer months, but Winter time we usually get SOME cooler weather, not like, cold or anything but decently cool for a couple months I guess. This past Winter, nothing. It was in the 80's F most of December and Febuary and January wasn't much cooler. Kinda scary if you think about it.

From some of these replies, I can see why the Earth is going to hell ... :laugh:

:p

That's just an utterly ridiculous thing to say. Sure, we could fit all the humans into the space of Texas. But what about all the space needed to support those humans? To produce food and resources? A quick Google suggests that it takes around 0.25 hectares (25,000 square feet) to provide enough land to grow a single persons food for a year. That doesn't take into account crop rotations and letting land rest and recover. So while you could fit everyone into Texas relatively comfortably, you need the space of nearly 2 USAs to feed them.

What about the rest of the life on this planet? There is precious little *spare* space. It's all being used by something. Or are you so selfishly self centred that you believe that this entire planet is here for us to do with as we please and all other life be damned?

I think you are selfish in thinking you are bigger than what you really are.

here is precious little *spare* space. It's all being used by something.

You don't get out much do you? "Precious" spare space my rear. It's not precious. It just hasn't been occupied yet. And there's tons of it to go around.

Look at Canada. Vastly open fields in the prairies. Lots of wooded areas. Lots of unused space. Enough for many millions of people.