iOS 6 Boring or Not?

The update isn't very hot in my eyes. Actually, the Maps app will most likely lose features and get worse quality for me. The international coverage in their new maps (including satellite photography) as well as how they look is definitely a turn for the worse compared to Google Maps. Also, lost street view for everyone. And Transit support. Thankfully, Google seems to aim to get a Google Maps app submitted, but I still would have liked basic features for ~$200+ phones in 2012 integrated in the native app.

Crap, there's no Transit support in the new app?

That's a huge downfall if true.

I've used both iOS and ICS and I think as iOS/OSX users are happy with their beautiful products/environments they're perhaps a little more proficient with the systems and want to delve a little more - I hesitate to say tweak as that implies geekery somewhat, but perhaps more preferences/changeable aspects to iOS would be nice?

I do like iOS but it is kinda restrictive - and that can be great - but with time it feels a little 'simple': it's our way or no way. True, I can't really imagine what amazing features iOS 7 can really include, nor Android 5, but allowing users out of their Cupertino cr?che could be good :)

I hope they update all of the application UIs before GM. The Music and App Store apps doesn't fit in at all, for instance. Apple products used to be so... streamlined. Starting with OS X Lion, they're all a bunch of different ideas thrown together. I'm a little disappointed with them.

Crap, there's no Transit support in the new app?

I'm pretty sure there isn't, even though I'm not running iOS 6 beta. They made a point of promoting Transit apps in the Keynote from what I remember. I'm annoyed by that too. I'll either get the Google Maps app if released/accepted (likely to have better features now that Google knows that Apple aren't reliant on it) or be forced to look for some decent transit app. Frankly I'm not too excited about the updates to the Maps app as I lose the transit information (the main feature I used the default app for) and I already have a TomTom app to use as a sat nav. Now if they were to include transit information and offline maps (even if the latter were in-app purchases), that would be great.

It's not according to Redmond Pie. It's according to Apple. You can see what else your iPhone won't be getting here (look at the small print): http://www.apple.com/ios/ios6/

Hey

If it can let the home screen (and mostapple apps) spin all the way around I will be happy...this is why I can use my phone in the car without having to hold it and not using a stand, my phone fits in my car prefectly upside down.

@ Manish, yeah I know it's according to apple... But why? There's really no point other than wanting to force users that want facetime over 3g to upgrade or buy a 4s or next model whenever it's released.

I installed it yesterday on my iPhone 4S and I have to admit there isn't much there in the way of new features.

I like how they continue to refine the interface with each release. Someone on here mentioned how iOS 6 looks just like iOS 1, and I think they couldn't be any further from the truth.

On topic, like with the previous iOS announcements, I'm more excited about the upcoming announcement, and kind of like, "bored," when the actual announcement is made. Because iOS is married to the hardware, I get tickled when I see it on the new iPhone, and when the developers start leveraging the new features and APIs.

• Like 1

only thing I like about IOS 6 so far is that the speed is incredable and my apps DO NOT CRASH

I have not had any crashes at all. But alas I do wish they would bring Siri to the 4, otherwise I'll just hold out until the 5 comes out

While I guess I lucked out and my upgrade date has always been in a year with (historically) major iPhone upgrades (i.e. 3G to 4, 4S to 5) I'm still kind of frustrated that some things like FaceTime and Siri wont be compatible. And there is no reason why Siri is neglected on iPad 2...other than Apple doing what they do.

Ah well. Looking forward to the update. Is the Music app on iPad any different? Its a freaking mess right now.

• 1 month later...

I have a question regarding this. Do you still need Itunes to activate or has that gone away with iOS5?

No. iTunes is not required but unless you purchase all your music from iTMS it will be difficult to load music w/o jailbreaking. You can even backup to iCloud sans-iTunes, but unless you pay for extra space 5GB for a backup goes fast.

No. iTunes is not required but unless you purchase all your music from iTMS it will be difficult to load music w/o jailbreaking. You can even backup to iCloud sans-iTunes, but unless you pay for extra space 5GB for a backup goes fast.

Thanks. So I will need Itunes to add comics, ebooks, music and movies. :(

Thanks. So I will need Itunes to add comics, ebooks, music and movies. :(

Yes, unless you intend to purchase them all through your iOS device. iTunes has some pretty badass features when it comes to managing your iOS device from a computer. It beats the socks off what android has for this. So I don't know why people are so persistent in wanting an apple device but not wanting to use apple software that works with the device. iTunes for Windows is not half as bad as everyone moans and groans about. But whatever. If you are dead set on using apple products without using apple products then just Jailbreak your device and learn how to use SSH to get your content loaded from your computer.

• Like 1

I really don't like the new silver music player theme. The black one just looks better imo...I also really wish we'd have widgets or live icons or something like that---every other mobile OS has that except iOS. World's most advanced mobile OS my butt...

I've been using Beta 4 on my iPad and comparing it to my Nexus 7 running Android 4.1 - Even with the new feature of version 6, it still miss the ease of the multi-tasking of Android, no widgets or something like "live tile" aka WP7.

It's still just a grid of icons, nothing more. Need to check something, well, load the Apps.

It works, but it's getting old.

Oh and on the issue of maps caching, I think a fully detailed map of a whole country would be huge, even if it is vector based. I'm not against the idea of caching but I do think it's unrealistic to cache much more than a medium sized city, I doubt there's the capacity there to cache the whole of London in full detail really.

Google Maps has had this for a while on Android, so you can still use the maps without a data connection. If they do it correctly, it doesn't need to be that big in size. You just lose out on the extra functionality, such as satellite view, and things like that.

It simply works. No hick ups, no issues, no crashes and stupid 3rd party useless apps running in the background without my permission (like Android) and that's all I care about.

It's a phone people, not a laptop.