'Mass hypnosis' goes wrong

A group of young students at an all girls school were left in "mass hypnosis" after a demonstration from a fledging hypnotist reportedly left them locked in a trance.

Maxime Nadeau was forced to call on his mentor for assistance after the hypnotist could not reverse the condition of several 12 and 13-year-old girls at the Coll?ge du Sacr?-Coeur private school in Quebec. One of the girls was reportedly left in a trance for five hours.

"Being in a trance is a state of well-being," Nadeau told the CBC's French-language service. "I wasn't stressed. I knew they would get out of it."

Still, Nadeau eventually called in his mentor and trainer Richard Whitbread to reverse the effects.

"There were a couple of students who had their heads lying on the table and there were [others] who, you could tell, were in trance," Whitbread said. "The eyes were open and there was nobody home."

In order to reverse the effect, Whitbread says he convinced the girls he was "re-hypnotizing" them and them brought them out of the trance "using a stern voice."

"I don't know how to explain it. It's like you're no longer there," student ?milie Bertrand told the CBC about her experience. "You're spaced out."

Nonetheless, Bertrand described the experience as "cool" as said she would do it again, even knowing the potential consequences.

Interestingly, Whitbread said the girls may have been especially vulnerable to Nadeau's suggestions because of his young age and "good looks." :shifty:

source

^ "Oh ye of little faith" :laugh:

I wonder what would have happened if they gave suggestions of drugs are not good, don't smoke, get a good college education, be excellent to each other ... hmm.

Ah forget it -- the world probably collapse.

Seriously, how the hell do people still believe in this nonsense? Hypnotism isn't real, people.

Yet weve seen people put animals in "trances" and or "hypnotize" them. Im skeptical of Humans, however its a well known fact all sorts of animals will enter trances after certain conditions are met.

Everything from lobsters to rabbits, to bovine`s and more.

Lobster how to - http://www.banderasn...wto/lobster.htm

The famous Bulldog, is called just that because it was used as a means to hypnotize cows and horses. i.e you bite or clamp down on there top lips and they enter a trance like state in which a farmer can do anything to them, thus Bulldogs.

So im a little open to the possibility that theres some set of parameters that could trick us humans too, after all were just fancy animals.

Severial people in my graduating class were hypnotized.. I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't know the people personally and their character.

That said there are limits, you can't make someone do anything.. They were not fully "aware" but if you asked them to do something too far outside of their bounds they wouldn't.. so no turning them all into slaves or anything lol... then again these were french girls..

Seriously, how the hell do people still believe in this nonsense? Hypnotism isn't real, people.

but then, how do people get hypnotised?

i knew people at uni who i saw get hypnotised.. to this day i do not believe they were putting it on

but then, how do people get hypnotised?

i knew people at uni who i saw get hypnotised.. to this day i do not believe they were putting it on

I've seen it explained by people who actually DO it on stage. There is no "trance" state at all, in 99% of cases, the "mark" is already predisposed to believing the hypnotist, so it's easy to make them think they're entering a trance like state where they can be made to do certain things. This entirely self-imposed conviction acts so that the mark complies with the hypnotists suggestions entirely willingly even though later they'll try to convince themselves and others that they didn't do all those silly things.

It's why doubters (or the "strong willed" as hypnotists call them) can't be hypnotised; because it isn't real.

I've seen it explained by people who actually DO it on stage. There is no "trance" state at all, in 99% of cases, the "mark" is already predisposed to believing the hypnotist, so it's easy to make them think they're entering a trance like state where they can be made to do certain things. This entirely self-imposed conviction acts so that the mark complies with the hypnotists suggestions entirely willingly even though later they'll try to convince themselves and others that they didn't do all those silly things.

It's why doubters (or the "strong willed" as hypnotists call them) can't be hypnotised; because it isn't real.

But then that is actually getting hypnotized.

• Like 1

But then that is actually getting hypnotized.

No it isn't. There is no trance state involved, period. The mark is just persuaded to go along willingly and if they wanted, could just stop at any time and give the whole game away. Their belief in the whole nonsense generally means they go along with it, though. However, it's just a confidence trick that preys on the gullible.

Although it wasn't the program where I saw how it works, Penn and Teller also did a part on it in their Bullsh*t program, and they said exactly the same thing. These guys are stage magicians, they do hypnotism as part of their act; they know how it's done and they're well known for revealing such things to the public.

Darren Brown (famous "mentalist" from tv-shows like Trick of the Mind) has made a few audiobooks about hypnotism and he makes it very clear that it's not real. Even though it's fake, there's still a fair amount of skill involved. The subjects are not stooges, but people who are tricked into thinking they really are hypnotised. Even before the "hypnotism", there's a rather involved process of picking suitable people from the audience, people who show signs of being susceptible to suggestion. He also went into some of the tricks he uses when putting them into the "trance", like altering the instructions he's giving the subject to match things he sees in their body language, for example: tricking them into tensing up, and then when he spots the person relaxing again telling the subject that their body suddenly feels lighter.

• Like 1

Hypnosis is quite real, however, being in a trance type state I have a hard time believing. Hypnotism is not what most people think, or what a few people on this thread think, it is merely a state of deep relaxation where the unconscious becomes more active and in control than the conscious mind is. Hypnosis is more about mind manipulation and we all know mind controls the body, this shows in PTSD and mass hysteria. If you can convince the mind of something then the body will soon then follow.

I have seen hypnotists make some people feel hot and cold, forget numbers or general items they knew for their entire lives. Just mind games and more people who have control of their mind and though process are not as susceptible to hypnosis as others. Another reason would be they intentionally do not follow instructions just to be deviants and just say "this person is a fraud."

There are people who use it as a gimmick, but hypnosis is actually a practiced medicine because it allows someone to become fully relaxed which in that state suggestions can be made to the subconscious to change various things.

Just my two cents.

Hypnosis exists you can google many entries on medical hypnosis, my own aunt was under hypnosis to quit smoking and it worked. She wasn't some "mark" called onto a stage, and it is in fact recognized by the US Department of Labor as well as other Occupational Accreditation and monitoring orgs

I agree with Itylernallen on this one. I was about to come in say pretty much what he did.

Being strong minded obviously makes it less likely that you will cede control of your mind to someone (or even have the capability of doing it).

Medical hypnosis has been known to work, but again it requires someone with a "weak" mind. Someone who is willing to let external influences into their minds.

You can't make someone do something they don't want to do. People who quit smoking by way of hypnosis are a good example of this. They already want to quit, but they haven't quit got the mental control. Introducing the idea into the subconscious means it's always there and always influencing your thoughts generally without you even being aware.

It's simply a form of manipulation. If you are bright enough, you can do it without having to do the hypnosis thing.. You can plant ideas in peoples minds without hynosis or inception simply by saying the right linking words that will drag the persons mind there on its own. /shrug

Darren Brown (famous "mentalist" from tv-shows like Trick of the Mind) has made a few audiobooks about hypnotism and he makes it very clear that it's not real. Even though it's fake, there's still a fair amount of skill involved. The subjects are not stooges, but people who are tricked into thinking they really are hypnotised. Even before the "hypnotism", there's a rather involved process of picking suitable people from the audience, people who show signs of being susceptible to suggestion. He also went into some of the tricks he uses when putting them into the "trance", like altering the instructions he's giving the subject to match things he sees in their body language, for example: tricking them into tensing up, and then when he spots the person relaxing again telling the subject that their body suddenly feels lighter.

his and other "magicians" may not be real using thier tricks but hypnosis itself is. Just what they may be doing on stage may not be qualified actually as hypnosis

Derren Brown not Darren

No it isn't. There is no trance state involved, period. The mark is just persuaded to go along willingly and if they wanted, could just stop at any time and give the whole game away. Their belief in the whole nonsense generally means they go along with it, though. However, it's just a confidence trick that preys on the gullible.

Although it wasn't the program where I saw how it works, Penn and Teller also did a part on it in their Bullsh*t program, and they said exactly the same thing. These guys are stage magicians, they do hypnotism as part of their act; they know how it's done and they're well known for revealing such things to the public.

Yes, I read this abut PnT to be authentic where stage magic is concerned, you cant beat them, but I remember the show they did about global warming being fake and impossible bs, was exactly that, the denial of science. They are pro entertainers, not scientists, not even technicians, but they can be funny as f**k :D

Now, back to that power of suggestion debate lol....

except their belief in it makes them unable to get out of it, thus hypnotized.

Explain Edgar Cayce :laugh: