Microsoft Demos Direct Siri Competitor in Wndows Phone 8

Microsoft had sown off a huge demo of its Siri competitor in Windows Phone 8. The new voice feature in WP8 responds in natural language, like does siri, but unlike Siri today, it can launch apps AND app developers have access to the voice assistant APIs. So, you can use voice to control apps, which is useful when using an app while driving, for example. They showed off the new Audible app, which is available to the Windows Phone Marketplace starting today. In WP8, the Audible app can be controlled by voice. Like US Siri, the English version of voice assistant in WP8 sport a female speaker, who responds to commands via voice even within apps.

Key things:

• Has a natural voice control, like Siri
  • Responds with natural language, like Siri
  • Can launch apps
  • Apps can use voice recognition APIs.

It's a shame that in the Neowin article, (https://www.neowin.net/news/windows-phone-8-what-we-know-and-what-we-dont), they said that Microsoft did now show off this voice recognition feature. That is FALSE. You can watch the demo in the Keynote when it becomes available.

You can find it later in the keynote when they cover the Audible app.

I thought this app was supposed be available for WP7.5 yesterday. I'm not seeing it in the Marketplace.

I don't see it either; they did announce it was coming yesterday, but it hasn't come.

Bloody Microsoft copying Apple again! Think of your own ideas Microsoft!

I love how you think Microsoft is copying Apple when the Metro UI looks nothing like the fisherprice UI in iOS.

Yes, TellME on Windows Phone 7 does launch apps, but in Windows Phone 8, it can work WITHIN apps and app developers can make use of its APIs.

Yes ,but that doesn't make it a direct competitor to Siri . Siri uses Natural language processing. TellMe uses Keyword processing.

I love how you think Microsoft is copying Apple when the Metro UI looks nothing like the fisherprice UI in iOS.

You missed the Trolololololo comment at the end of his post. LOL

I thought this app was supposed be available for WP7.5 yesterday. I'm not seeing it in the Marketplace.

That was Audible.

You missed the Trolololololo comment at the end of his post. LOL

No, I saw the "trololololol" at the end. I knew he was joking, but I replied back so that Metro haters and apple fanboys who misses the "trololol" doesn't quote that post as a legitimate argument against Microsoft

My god what is it with people these days they take everything surrounding their favorite operating system so seriously? Many around here can't handle a joke without going up in arms about it. It's bordering on becoming pathetic.

• Like 2

My god what is it with people these days they take everything surrounding their favorite operating system so seriously? Many around here can't handle a joke without going up in arms about it. It's bordering on becoming pathetic.

Yep.. kinda sad Really.

I apologize (oh and by the way, I knew that post was a joke; read what I stated directly above your post.)

I apologize (oh and by the way, I knew that post was a joke; read what I stated directly above your post.)

It makes your reply, both of them, even worse. Saddening really.

It makes your reply, both of them, even worse.

Okay, fine you win. You are right, why react to a joke like that, right? You win.

Oh, and I will admit that I am a die heart Microsoft and Windows fanboy. I use a mac and iOS but can never like them as much as I love MS. Basically, I love MS like apple fanboys love apple products.

Oh crap. I was thinking that Audible WAS the voice rec app. Now I'm sad.

Audible owns the audiobook market and has nothing to do with voice recognition :p (they are owned by Amazon).

Okay, fine you win. You are right, why react to a joke like that, right? You win.

Oh, and I will admit that I am a die heart Microsoft and Windows fanboy. I use a mac and iOS but can never like them as much as I love MS. Basically, I love MS like apple fanboys love apple products.

You bring shame to our clan son, how can you admit to using Apple products!!

/s

:|

You bring shame to our clan son, how can you admit to using Apple products!!

/s

:|

Well, my iPod touch doesn't require a data plan. If Microsoft gives me a "Windows Phone" without the phone part (and the data plan) then I will get one. But as of now, the iPod touch has no competition, period! (And yes, I did notice the "/s" notice.

And about Audible, MS showed off audible as an example. The Audible app for WP7 will not have the advanced voice rec features. That feature is an API for all apps in WP8

You guys are missing one very important fact here, this new speech API doesn't need a internet connection to work! You can try and spin it as not being some sort of siri competitor because it's a different type of system on the backend, which maybe true or may not be true, for all we know MS might have did some major upgrading to TellMe.

Whatever the case, the advantages are clear ones for me, it's an API any 3rd party developer can use for their apps and it doesn't requre a internet connection to work.