Google's Nexus 7 Tablet Is Already A Hit!

Brando, does a search on the UPS website give you any shipping information? I received my email with tracking number last night but no actual information when I check the status of the package.

Brando, does a search on the UPS website give you any shipping information? I received my email with tracking number last night but no actual information when I check the status of the package.

no, no info here yet either

Sweet, I got my tracking number late Friday. I've been refreshing the UPS tracker like crazy, the label got created on 7/10, and it will be here by EOD! I will try to do a review

Will this eventually be sold in retailers like best buy etc? Or is it only going to be through the Google site, anybody know?

Not yet in bestbuy but you can find it in some retail stored mentioned in this article.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/12/3154733/nexus-7-availability

There is also a rumour that Amazon is in talk with google to sell Nexus 7

Why would I want to stream anything when I already have sitting on my server? I don't see myself uploading my 100 GB of music and 6 TB of video to any service any time soon.

As far as I know, there are apps to stream music etc from your computer if that's what you want. But the whole idea of the Nexus 7 is cloud storage.

I'm waiting for the Nexus 10 (or whatever it's going to be called). I find that 7" tablets are too small for what I would want to use them for. I'm really excited for the 10" version though, especially after hearing good reviews of the 7.

As far as I know, there are apps to stream music etc from your computer if that's what you want. But the whole idea of the Nexus 7 is cloud storage.

The whole point of my post is I don't want to stream at all. It doesn't matter where the source of the stream is located, whether it be "the Cloud" or my server via VPN / streaming service, it's still chewing through data caps. I'd rather carry my media with me but then I guess I'm old school like that.

The whole point of my post is I don't want to stream at all. It doesn't matter where the source of the stream is located, whether it be "the Cloud"? or my server via VPN / streaming service, it's still chewing through data caps. I'd rather carry my media with me but then I guess I'm old school like that.

then don't stream whats the problem then??

then don't stream whats the problem then??

Storage I guess.

Then again I have about 50GB in music alone. If the Nexus 7's internal storage didn't cut it, a SD card wouldn't really solve the problem either (let alone that a big fast SD card would cost about the same as the tablet itself).

Storage I guess.

Then again I have about 50GB in music alone. If the Nexus 7's internal storage didn't cut it, a SD card wouldn't really solve the problem either (let alone that a big fast SD card would cost about the same as the tablet itself).

I dont think that poster is ever going to get a tablet that has 100Gb internal storage and 6 Tb of external storage.

https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1087731-googles-nexus-7-tablet-is-already-a-hit/page__view__findpost__p__595007723

People just like to complain. Just put a playlist on your tablet and enjoy. Really You gonna be gone how long away from your main desktop. You can put hours and hours and hours of music on this.

I had the same storage concerns with my Galaxy Nexus. It's 32 GB internal, but it can't be expanded via microSD like the other Android device I had. I was pretty bummed when I first got the phone, but honestly, I use very little of the internal storage. I probably have 25-26 GB free out of the 32 GB. I store all my music on the cloud (both Google and Amazon), and I can just stream all my content through Plex. It works brilliantly. Plus, I can always stream from Netflix, or Hulu+ or Amazon prime videos. I never have a shortage of content... So, I'm not too worried about the Nexus 7, which is why I ended up going with the 8 GB variant.

I'm actually thinking about getting a NAS or some server just to store media, and have it accessible at all times.

Dude an SD or Micro SD is important on a tablet. It's what has kept me from buying an Ipad. Why can't Google put one on the device?

No SD and no rear camera are ways how Google has been able to keep the price down.

So they stole that idea from Apple too. This is way too funny.

Have they shown that they will be making covers? No, not yet, therefore they haven't 'stolen' anything yet.

got my nexus 7 in the mail today, got it unlocked and rooted already :) now I'm waiting for an official CWM build for the nexus 7 so I can mess around with a few custom roms (hopefully CM10 when it's made available to the Nexus 7)

I got this tablet (8 GB) yesterday, so I've been playing with it since then.

Here are my first impressions:

Hardware:

The tablet is built very well. It fits in one hand very easily, and the back is all high quality plastic. It's only a fingerprint magnet on the front (bezel + screen). The front facing camera is fairly weak, and there is no rear facing camera. The speakers produce average sound, but sound great with headphones. I tested with my Sennheiser HD238, which have a long plug, so this can get annoying when you have the N7 in portrait view. I would definitely like to see Asus build a dock, as they can utilize the pogo pins on the bottom left side of the device. The screen is also decent, and is fairly bright under full brightness.

The storage is kind of a deal killer for some - but I have all my music stored on the cloud (both Google Play and Amazon). I use Plex to stream all my movies/videos. The Hulu+ app works very well, I'm sure Netflix does too (I couldn't test as I don't have a Netflix account anymore). I installed 30+ apps (some games), and I have about 5 GB left.

Software/Performance:

Simply put, Jelly Bean (Android 4.1) is amazing. You can see Google has put some work into Project Butter, and with a Tegra 3, this device is extremely fast. It tackled all the apps and games without any lag. It feels leaps and bounds faster than my Galaxy Nexus (which is also running a Jelly Bean ROM). Google Now/Currents is a great feature of JB - the voice search is amazing. It does much better than Siri, you can watch comparison videos on youtube.

You also get some goodies from Google:

• $25 credit for use at the Play Store (expires 6/30/2013)
  • Video: Transformers: Dark of the Moon movie
  • Magazines: Popular Science, Traveler, Family Circle, Food Network, Esquire
  • Music: some free songs

I did have a complaint about Play Magazines: the default zoom is far too much, so the scrolling doesn't work very well. Google can fix this with an app. update.

Conclusion:

For $200 (8GB) or $250 (16GB), I feel this is the best 7" tablet on the market now. Being a Nexus device, you'll get very fast updates from Google, as well as a fantastic developer community, so expect great ROM's. There are a few downsides to this tablet, and this is where Google cut corners to save money: lack of a rear facing camera, weak front facing camera, WiFi only - no mobile network capability (maybe for the future), and storage. The storage isn't a pIf you want a cheap tablet, I say this is THE 7" tablet to get. Forget Kindle or Nook, you can always load the Kindle/Nook apps on the Nexus 7.

For $200 this is a great tablet. I've been playing with it since the moment I receive it and I love it. Although she won't admit it; my wife likes the Nexus 7 over her Kindle Fire.

Build quality is great; Jelly Bean is great. I haven't put it through it's paces yet but I doubt I'll be disappointed.

I unlocked and rooted the tablet; I'm ready for CM10!!

I just got mine but the speaker doesn't work on it :( So I called google and was on hold for 2 hr+!!!

Finally a guy picked up and said they will send in a replacement device and I have to send the broken one back on the same box.