Microsoft releases new 60-second IE9 ad

Microsoft just released a sequel to it's previous IE9 ad.

The new ad first shows the websites running inside of Internet Explorer, and then "dives in" to the website itself, as opposed to the older ad (below) which just showed the site, without including the IE9 chrome anywhere. It also features a darker background for the ending flip through of IE9-enabled sites.

(apologies if this was the wrong place to post, just thought some people might be interested and I couldn't find a subforum for "ads" :p)

Neowin article on the first ad: https://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-shows-off-new-internet-explorer-tv-ad#comments

"source": https://www.facebook.com/internetexplorer

I would use IE9 if it had >= ad blocking features like FireFox and Chrome.

I pay for subscriptions at many of the forums I frequent, and want the ability to blacklist as I see fit. With IE, the adblocking just isn't up to par.

I would use IE9 if it had >= ad blocking features like FireFox and Chrome.

I pay for subscriptions at many of the forums I frequent, and want the ability to blacklist as I see fit. With IE, the adblocking just isn't up to par.

i dont know a lot about ad blocking but i know you can black ads using Tracking protection

click tools (little cog icon) and go Manage add-ons, then click Tracking protection, now click "get a tracking protection list online" from there you have a heap of diffrent lists to chose from, i personly use Fanboy adblock list

Wouldn't be surprised to see someone else release another video. "How to hack a machine through IE 9 in under 60 seconds"

Wouldn't be surprised to see someone else release another video. "How to hack a machine through IE 9 in under 60 seconds"

what a pointless troll, and completely off topic. but then again, judging from your other recent posts not entirely surprising. Also, other browsers like FF and chrome have fallen faster recently so...

As for ad blocking, on one hand, if you pay for subscriptions on some sites, then you won't have ads there, the sites you don't pay for. well they need to make money as well, if you don't want to support them, then don't use them. Ad blocks have a tendency to break web sites or parts of web sites anyway.

But if you want it, the best ad blockers are system wide apps that run outside of the browser anyway.

The song that they use for the ad is really good. I like it a lot.

The song that they use for the ad is really good. I like it a lot.

I read somewhere that having it in the commercial helped propel it to like the top of the charts :p

I read somewhere that having it in the commercial helped propel it to like the top of the charts :p

I'm not surprised. My first instinct was to search for it on Zune.

The song is "Too Close" by Alex Clare, if anyone is interested:

Idk why Microsoft is advertising IE. Those who are techie and use other browsers aren't dumb enough to be swayed by a commercial. Those who don't care about technology or browsers will simply use whatever is there (IE). Who are they trying to sell it to??

Idk why Microsoft is advertising IE. Those who are techie and use other browsers aren't dumb enough to be swayed by a commercial. Those who don't care about technology or browsers will simply use whatever is there (IE). Who are they trying to sell it to??

You know, I don't know. I think it's a waste of money. They should save the money to make a similar ad for Windows 8.

If you watch the ad on the Xbox 360 dashboard you get a free avatar item, a tablet running Windows 8.

Why advertise IE9 when IE10 is like just weeks away from being released? IE10 will have very good standards support unlike IE9 which only supports the most important html5 features.

They can make all the flashy ads they want but here are the reasons I won't be using it.

I use Windows on my Desktop and I use OS X on my Mac and I use an iPhone and an iPad.

Internet Explorer only works on one of those systems. I cannot sync any of my bookmarks, Logiins or Field Data with those other devices because IE does not exist there. That is a very important feature to me. I can however sync that stuff if I use Firefox on my PC and Mac, Safari on my Mac, iPad and iPhone or Chrome on my Desktop, Notebook, iPhone and iPad. (I use Chrome)

Next, plugins/extensions. IE has a huge 3rd party developer deficiency. I need adblock, I need imgur integration I need a lot of things that frankly do not exist for IE.

And lastly we have all seen what happens when Microsoft gets a monopoly over something and to be more specific what happens when they have a monopoly over web browsing. Nothing. Nothing happens they don't do any innovating at all they let it stagnate and they **** off consumers who want a better experience and they **** off web developers by holding back on newer technologies. For this reason I'm not willing to switch to this browser or tell anyone else to because no mater how good it is today if it ever becomes the undeniable market leader again we will get stuck where we were 6 years ago.

So for those reasons. No thanks Microsoft. I'd rather use Firefox, Chrome or Safari.

Next, plugins/extensions. IE has a huge 3rd party developer deficiency. I need adblock, I need imgur integration I need a lot of things that frankly do not exist for IE.

I'm not sure why so many people think IE doesn't have adblock... especially when it's a feature built-in to the browser... puzzling...

It's probably because the name Tracking Protection Lists doesn't sound like it would block ads.

I'm not sure why so many people think IE doesn't have adblock... especially when it's a feature built-in to the browser... puzzling...

It's probably because the name Tracking Protection Lists doesn't sound like it would block ads.

How does that block ads? Does it download lists from Microsoft of adservers and stop those from appearing? Does it block 99% of ads?

but my original point stands, it lacks proper extensions. I mean how many extensions are there for IE? 100? How many are there for Chrome or Firefox? Probably 200,000 combined if not more.

Right now I use the imgur plugin for taking screenshots of webpages. I use a youtube plugin which automatically sets all videos I view to HD and allows me to fullscreen any youtube video even if its embedded in another webpage. And I use adblock and also a uTorrent plugin which allows me to just click on a .torrent and have it sent to my remote server. These are all plugins I really use every day and I'd be less productive without some of these.

I'm not surprised. My first instinct was to search for it on Zune.

The song is "Too Close" by Alex Clare, if anyone is interested:

Apparently the artisit didn't have too much to release since they were fighting in protective gear. Ok song, dumbass video. Why IE9 ads this late in the game? Honestly, I'd be ashamed if I were them. No spell check in a supposed modern browser?

Side note: WTF is up with Neowin and Firefox's spellcheck? It's a crapshoot whether or not it works.

Side note: WTF is up with Neowin and Firefox's spellcheck? It's a crapshoot whether or not it works.

Learn to spell then! :p

The ad's OK... Though I doubt they'd be allowed to show it in the UK as the law here requires you to give a true representation of your product, and you cannot do with IE9 what that ad shows you doing. No browser in existence shows the internet like that...

Eh, so this is the "new web", zero text and all graphics&sound&explosion'n stuff? To me it seems more like a Michael Bay film than the web I usually frequent (and I want to frequent in the future). And no, Microsoft, I won't go back to IE after the switch to Firefox I made many years ago.

what a pointless troll, and completely off topic. but then again, judging from your other recent posts not entirely surprising. Also, other browsers like FF and chrome have fallen faster recently so...

As for ad blocking, on one hand, if you pay for subscriptions on some sites, then you won't have ads there, the sites you don't pay for. well they need to make money as well, if you don't want to support them, then don't use them. Ad blocks have a tendency to break web sites or parts of web sites anyway.

I prefer a broken website than one with ads.

And lastly we have all seen what happens when Microsoft gets a monopoly over something and to be more specific what happens when they have a monopoly over web browsing. Nothing. Nothing happens they don't do any innovating at all they let it stagnate and they **** off consumers who want a better experience and they **** off web developers by holding back on newer technologies. For this reason I'm not willing to switch to this browser or tell anyone else to because no mater how good it is today if it ever becomes the undeniable market leader again we will get stuck where we were 6 years ago.

So for those reasons. No thanks Microsoft. I'd rather use Firefox, Chrome or Safari.

Right... And with that argument you're using Chrome now why ? since it's now working hard to get the position of IE6. So instead of going with someone who's actually changed and showed that they are changing, you're instead option for either, a browser that's generally ok, but very techy, and is working the same way as IE6 was with it's own little functions, a browser that pretends to be open source while at the same time having the most locked in browser specific functions of all, and working very heard to become the new IE6, or another platform specific lock in monopoly browser.

Seems your argument would be better if you used a third party sync tool that works on all browsers.

How does that block ads? Does it download lists from Microsoft of adservers and stop those from appearing? Does it block 99% of ads?

Firefox does not download a list from FF's servers

Chrome does not download from Google's servers

Safari does not download a list from Apple's servers.

All the ad blocks are third party, and as has been said before, the bets ad block is outside the browser anyway. And if you don't want to support a site with it's ads, then don't use the site, and don't be a leech. So the only browsers who seem to have an actual official built in way to block ads is IE and Opera...

And if you must block ads, why would you want to download pre made lists, they are horrible. you don't know what they block so they may block to much, and they break a lot of stuff on websites, heck just on neowin they break the commenting system, and on pretty much every site that uses Disqus the pre made lists break the comment system.

I prefer a broken website than one with ads.

so pay for a sub or don't visit the website. hosting, traffic and journalists aren't free resources.

• Like 1

IMO techies are the dumbest of the lot when it comes to give another chance to old-broken things that may have improved. Case in point? IE and Hotmail. I am always amused by people who say if you are "techie" (whatever that means), you shouldn't be using IE for browsing or Hotmail for email. IE9 actually ranks above Chrome in terms of perf. on all my systems. Although I have stopped using Chrome altogether on all my computers since past few months. I prefer Aurora+IE9/IE10 combo. :)