Disappointed WP7 user

So here I am, 1 year and a few months after I bought my first Windows Phone 7 phone (a Samsung Omnia 7). Before that, I also had a Samsung phone, but Android based (Galaxy SL). I also had Symbian, Blackberry and Windows Mobile phones before that.

But none of them felt so nice as the Omnia. I remember how amazed I was when I turned on the phone for the first time. The OS was so smooth, elegant, every app and game had the same performance, no lag, etc. Also, the hardware is beautiful (and I still love it).

Today, however, after all this time, I got really disappointed in this os. I realized that many features (even basic features) lack, or don't work as they used too, some problems started showing up, and...to be honest, it got boring. To be more specific, here are some of my main reasons for this:

- push notifications: there are NONE, basically. Even if I keep my phone turned on (not in sleep mode), there's a huge lag before I get some FB notification or chat message. For example, I was chatting on FB on my PC and suddenly the phone tells me I have a message...when I look, there was a phrase of that conversation, not even the last one. And that's it. It doesn't "sync" everything... Also, the damn FB icon that I have pinned on the start menu now has a small red circle with the number of notification "I've missed". Bull.... No notifications, but that icon stays the same, even after rebooting the phone or unpinning - repinning the icon to the start menu.

- messaging: I really hate how it mixes up facebook and text messages. It can be quite confusing sometimes, like when I want to send a text, but the last message from the recipient was from FB and it sends a FB message instead, because I forget to "switch".

- mms: I was never able to send one. Same carrier, same settings as my earlier Android phone, but no mms.

- no vpn support...

- the update cycle is horrible. I know that's not MS's fault, but I don't care.

- the damn lag when I enter the pin (I understand that will be fixed)...

- I have to reboot the phone every time I turn on the data connection. I really don't know why, but it doesn't work when I turn it on, it just shows the 3G icon and that's it. After reboot, it's 3G+, and the internet works. Stupid...

- bluetooth file transfer....really, MS?!

Anyway, there are lots of other small things that I hate or miss, but I learned to live with or without. But the thing is, no matter how elegant and beautiful this OS is, it's designed for people that, well, are limited to certain basic things. Not for people that used another OS, like Android, before. I also know all the pros and cons of Android, but I believe there are many pros over WP7, unfortunately. And they outweigh the cons.

So, I'll sell this phone next week and switch to something else. 99% it will be an Android phone, maybe the Xperia Ray? :)

No.. don't go for Sony garbage.. All of their Android phones are terrible in terms of updates.. some of their phones are still being sold new and running Gingerbread.

If you are going back to Android just get Galaxy Nexus.. it's cheap ($350 now fully unlocked and off contract) and you get Jelly Bean which is absolutely magnificent.

Galaxy Nexus is just beautiful, simple, clean lines, amazing screen and you will always get the latest updates immediately. EIther that or if you don't care about updates that much get Galaxy S3.

push notifications: there are NONE, basically.

They work fine for me :s

- messaging: I really hate how it mixes up facebook and text messages

Yeah that is kinda annoying, hopefully they'll sort it out somehow. :(

- mms:

Really? MMS? Who the hell even uses that anymore?

- the update cycle is horrible

Uhm..what?

the damn lag when I enter the pin

Guessing thats your phone than. No lag here.

have to reboot the phone every time I turn on the data connection

Again your phone...Nothing to do with WP.

- bluetooth file transfer....really, MS?!

What? You want to use infrared instead?

Just my two cents. Probably can't handle the flame that will hit me now. :D

They work fine for me :s

Yeah that is kinda annoying, hopefully they'll sort it out somehow. :(

Really? MMS? Who the hell even uses that anymore?

Uhm..what?

Guessing thats your phone than. No lag here.

Again your phone...Nothing to do with WP.

What? You want to use infrared instead?

Just my two cents. Probably can't handle the flame that will hit me now. :D

The pin lag is a known issue, it's not the phone.

And about the Bluetooth file transfer, I was referring to the fact that I can only send SOME files via bluetooth. For example, I have the option to share pics via fb, mail, etc., but no bluetooth. That's stupid.

About the mms, I don't care who uses that, it's a feature that should work. If you don't use it, it doesn't mean someone else doesn't. :)

• Like 1

I have definitely noticed the push issue with the Facebook app, but only with that one. All of the other push notification work fine, so they just need to fix that app. The pin lag issue is fixed in Tango. As far as the MMS issue goes, try changing your APN settings, I had to with my HD7 on T-Mobile. I think they announced VPN and Bluetooth file transfer support for WP8. I hope some of that helps you.

• Like 1

I have definitely noticed the push issue with the Facebook app, but only with that one. All of the other push notification work fine, so they just need to fix that app. The pin lag issue is fixed in Tango. As far as the MMS issue goes, try changing your APN settings, I had to with my HD7 on T-Mobile. I think they announced VPN and Bluetooth file transfer support for WP8. I hope some of that helps you.

I have another 2 apps that use push notifications and doesn't work: IM+ and Whatsapp. :) If the phone is in sleep mode, bye bye notifications (even if the apps are set to use push notification while in sleep mode).

About the mms, I can't do that. I can only have 1 apn (another stupid thing), and here we have different apn's for mms, internet, wap, etc. So basically I would have to change the apn when I need to send a mms, and change it again to use the internet.

And about the vpn support, well, that's not an option, as the current wp7 phones won't be updated to wp8. :)

So, I'll sell this phone next week and switch to something else. 99% it will be an Android phone, maybe the Xperia Ray? :)

get a galaxy Nexus... runs Jelly bean and will be updated as soon as the next OS version is released.

It has google now and tons of features added. Dont forget about the project butter Google worked on JB to make the OS lag free.

http://www.android.com/about/jelly-bean/

you dont want to be on the side who wait for the OS upgrade.

- push notifications: there are NONE, basically. Even if I keep my phone turned on (not in sleep mode), there's a huge lag before I get some FB notification or chat message. For example, I was chatting on FB on my PC and suddenly the phone tells me I have a message...when I look, there was a phrase of that conversation, not even the last one. And that's it. It doesn't "sync" everything... Also, the damn FB icon that I have pinned on the start menu now has a small red circle with the number of notification "I've missed". Bull.... No notifications, but that icon stays the same, even after rebooting the phone or unpinning - repinning the icon to the start menu.

Yes, there is lag for FB chat messages, and some don't show up. I think you're only supposed to receive messages that it thinks you haven't received elsewhere. You should get all FB chat messages on your phone if you are not logged in anywhere else. If you are actively chatting with someone on Facebook on your laptop, your phone isn't supposed to be buzzing like crazy receiving messages. That's a feature.

This is also exactly the way the Messaging app on Windows 8 works I think.

I know the Facebook app apparently has some issues. I haven't had any problems and I get push notifications from it, but I see others have reported issues.

I personally develop a Windows Phone app that uses push notifications. In my testing, I haven't had any problems pushing notifications. They usually arrive almost immediately. However, the push notification API has options to request immediate delivery, or if immediate delivery is not required. Perhaps some apps don't request immediate delivery? Also, when your phone is sleeping, you should still get push notifications. I do. I do think there might be a larger delay, though, to save on battery life.

- messaging: I really hate how it mixes up facebook and text messages. It can be quite confusing sometimes, like when I want to send a text, but the last message from the recipient was from FB and it sends a FB message instead, because I forget to "switch".

Really? I love that feature. I think it's great.

Really? I love that feature. I think it's great.

In theory, yes, it's good to have all the messages in one conversation. But as I said, only SOME fb messages show up, so the conversation turns into a stupid nonsense at some point. :laugh:

I love the WP7, and really wanted a WP7 phone, but the lack of sd support and bluetooth were biggest reasons i chose Nokia 603 ( Symbian belle phone ), I cant live without bluetooth, i basically use it everyday. And i dont want to touch android, never liked it. iPhone was too boring.

I was unsure when WP7 came out (I was a hardy WM6.5 owner then), and in hindsight, I made the right call - I own an Android phone now and it's probably the best decision I could make at the time.

No.. don't go for Sony garbage.. All of their Android phones are terrible in terms of updates.. some of their phones are still being sold new and running Gingerbread.

If you are going back to Android just get Galaxy Nexus.. it's cheap ($350 now fully unlocked and off contract) and you get Jelly Bean which is absolutely magnificent.

Galaxy Nexus is just beautiful, simple, clean lines, amazing screen and you will always get the latest updates immediately. EIther that or if you don't care about updates that much get Galaxy S3.

Sony are generally the best ones for updates outside of Nexus, while others may be slightly faster, sony actually does proper work on them. it's the only android phones I'd bother getting, good build quality and they actually optimize the OS so their single core phones outperform the SIII in the OS. They also have a much better camera than other androids, if you stick to the Active/ray and up series.

• Like 3

I love the WP7, and really wanted a WP7 phone, but the lack of sd support and bluetooth were biggest reasons i chose Nokia 603 ( Symbian belle phone ), I cant live without bluetooth, i basically use it everyday. And i dont want to touch android, never liked it. iPhone was too boring.

I never get the "it doesn't have BT file transfer" thing, noone sensible actually uses it, just mailing it or other network transfers are far faster. BT is horrible for file transfers.

Sony is the best, when it comes to the hardware, in the Android league. And it is second best option, in regards of the updates, after Nexus phones

If I were to buy an Android device, it would definitely be a Sony one

• Like 2

then i guess you will upgrade to windows phone 8 :D

Doesn't the update rolling out atm address BT FT and MMS ? (Still waiting for my update)

What he wants is full object push or however the BT spec says. That seems to be coming in WP8 only, thus letting you send out any files you want over BT instead of having to email them or use MMS. There's been a few cases were I had to send a few pictures via MMS because I couldn't send them via BT.

It's just handier to have for when you want to send files from one phone to another, that's how it's used here in Europe a lot. I'm ready to move up to a new phone and WP8 though, and all the features it will bring. At that point there's nothing at the OS level that's going to hold it back vs the competition. The rest is on how people like the UI or not but so far most people who've seen something like a Lumia like it.

I never get the "it doesn't have BT file transfer" thing, noone sensible actually uses it, just mailing it or other network transfers are far faster. BT is horrible for file transfers.

Not everyone has Internet connection on their phones. Not many around me. Call it nonsense, but i use it. And it is a must, any smartphone without basic things like bluetooth file transfer support is joke. My Cheap old s40 phone was able to do it.

then i guess you will upgrade to windows phone 8 :D

Yes i will, and it will be Nokia WP8 phone. :)

Not everyone has Internet connection on their phones. Not many around me. Call it nonsense, but i use it. And it is a must, any smartphone without basic things like bluetooth file transfer support is joke. My Cheap old s40 phone was able to do it.

Exactly. And keep in mind that, while I can email a file, or whatever, there are quite a few people that don't have internet on their phones, just bluetooth. I've been using BT for years and it's a basic feature that every phone should have. Even if it's for "compatibility" with older phones.

Another think about BT on Omnia. I have BT connection in my car, factory installed. I can pair the phone with the car, see the address book on the car's display, call and receive calls, but there's one thing missing: music. I can't "stream" music from the phone via BT (while my old Nokia E5 can do it without issues). Also, I remember that this too is a basic feature of BT.

What he wants is full object push or however the BT spec says. That seems to be coming in WP8 only, thus letting you send out any files you want over BT instead of having to email them or use MMS. There's been a few cases were I had to send a few pictures via MMS because I couldn't send them via BT.

It's just handier to have for when you want to send files from one phone to another, that's how it's used here in Europe a lot. I'm ready to move up to a new phone and WP8 though, and all the features it will bring. At that point there's nothing at the OS level that's going to hold it back vs the competition. The rest is on how people like the UI or not but so far most people who've seen something like a Lumia like it.

I rarely use BT, but there is the odd time when the missus wants a ringtone I've made or a photo I've taken and I have to plug the phone into the PC > Zune file to PC > FTP transfer from PC to Tablet > BT from Tablet to her phone because she doesn't have Wifi on her phone and never uses 3G net on it

Long winded but not often I have to do it

I believe XDA devs have enabled BTFT on at least the Lumia custom ROMs

Exactly. And keep in mind that, while I can email a file, or whatever, there are quite a few people that don't have internet on their phones, just bluetooth. I've been using BT for years and it's a basic feature that every phone should have. Even if it's for "compatibility" with older phones.

Another think about BT on Omnia. I have BT connection in my car, factory installed. I can pair the phone with the car, see the address book on the car's display, call and receive calls, but there's one thing missing: music. I can't "stream" music from the phone via BT (while my old Nokia E5 can do it without issues). Also, I remember that this too is a basic feature of BT.

You certainly shouldn't have any problems streaming music to your car via BT. WP7 has always included audio profiles and I use it to stream music to a pair of bluetooth speakers without issue.

I agree that it's poor that it's taken MS this long to add support for the remaining BT profiles though and can understand how this would frustrate you if you rely on it.

Just for the record I've had the omnia since launch and I can send mms' no problems and don't have to restart my phone with the data connection or this lag you speak of.

I rarely use BT, but there is the odd time when the missus wants a ringtone I've made or a photo I've taken and I have to plug the phone into the PC > Zune file to PC > FTP transfer from PC to Tablet > BT from Tablet to her phone because she doesn't have Wifi on her phone and never uses 3G net on it

Long winded but not often I have to do it

I believe XDA devs have enabled BTFT on at least the Lumia custom ROMs

Yeah, it's for cases like that really or if you want to send it to a older feature phone etc. Sucks it's taken this long but I think MS held back on really pushing WP7 updates because they had this WP8 switch planned. Notice how WP8 finally brings OTA updates now? That's something they talked about doing for WP7 from the start but then never did. So I think around the time they were done or close to done with mango they probably figured it'd be easier and take less time to just switch to NT instead of trying to keep CE up to date with newer hardware and having to rewrite code again. NT supports the full BT spec, at least my netbook with BT lets me send and receive files from phones without a problem.