Disappointed WP7 user

If you are going back to Android just get Galaxy Nexus.. it's cheap ($350 now fully unlocked and off contract) and you get Jelly Bean which is absolutely magnificent.

Galaxy Nexus is just beautiful, simple, clean lines, amazing screen and you will always get the latest updates immediately. EIther that or if you don't care about updates that much get Galaxy S3.

This ^. The Nexus line of devices is really great.

I was in EXACT same place as you mate, plus my Omnia 7 has recently suffered water damage so needed replacing...then, last week, I ordered a Galaxy Nexus from here : http://panamoz.com/i...bile-phone.html

Delighted with it - I have got Jelly Bean (Android 4.1.1) running after unlocking bootloader & sticking the official ROM on manually.

TBH I haven't looked back - the Galaxy Nexus is just lovely to use - best blend of Android, WP & iOS, Its so elegant & well finished - Android really has comer on leaps and bounds over the past 18 months I've been using my Omnia 7.

Coupled with my Nexus 7 (whenever it arrives!) it will be a great phone to use for a long time ahead.

I cant recommend this phone enough - and coming from a staunch WP advocate that says ALOT!

Good luck hope you get the best phone for you.

If you get android, I'd stick with the Nexus line personally so you are guaranteed updates for a fair while to come.

BR.

I bought my Lumia 800 about three weeks ago and i'm very pleased with it. It's a wonderful phone!

I've noticed none of the op's issues... but i'm using WP7 on an HD2. I've had a few people switch from droid to WP7 based on how much better they liked my phone. I dispise my droid and can't wait to replace it with a WP7 phone on Sprnts network. For now, I carry two phones everywhere I go. Usually the WP7 phone has to help me out when the droid doesn't work.

Also, I'm running Cyanogenmod on my Evo4g. Stock sense was having a ton of issues (still gingerbread cause HTC doesn't update phones... they just make you buy new ones) Neither sense or cyanogenmod browsers work with fusemail's website. So if I am away and someone needs a password reset... i do it from my windows phone. I've tried dolphin, opera, and the base browsers in Android and none will work with that site.

- push notifications: there are NONE, basically. Even if I keep my phone turned on (not in sleep mode), there's a huge lag before I get some FB notification or chat message. For example, I was chatting on FB on my PC and suddenly the phone tells me I have a message...when I look, there was a phrase of that conversation, not even the last one. And that's it. It doesn't "sync" everything... Also, the damn FB icon that I have pinned on the start menu now has a small red circle with the number of notification "I've missed". Bull.... No notifications, but that icon stays the same, even after rebooting the phone or unpinning - repinning the icon to the start menu.

I think thats just a problem with the Facebook app tbh. Wordfeud's push notifications work perfectly. Same story with the other push enabled apps and live tiles I have set up.

- mms: I was never able to send one. Same carrier, same settings as my earlier Android phone, but no mms.

Get the APN set up correctly, Samsung should have a network set up app. If it still doesn't work, reset or you have a defect.

- I have to reboot the phone every time I turn on the data connection. I really don't know why, but it doesn't work when I turn it on, it just shows the 3G icon and that's it. After reboot, it's 3G+, and the internet works. Stupid...

Don't have that issue here on either my lumia 900, wife's lumia 800, and my old hd7. Reset your phone or maybe you have a defective one.

In theory, yes, it's good to have all the messages in one conversation. But as I said, only SOME fb messages show up, so the conversation turns into a stupid nonsense at some point.

Don't have that problem at all for either FB or MSN in the messaging hub. Don't know about the FB app since I don't really use it.

Another think about BT on Omnia. I have BT connection in my car, factory installed. I can pair the phone with the car, see the address book on the car's display, call and receive calls, but there's one thing missing: music. I can't "stream" music from the phone via BT (while my old Nokia E5 can do it without issues). Also, I remember that this too is a basic feature of BT.

BT audio in the car works fine for me.

Push notifications - Facebook app is notorious for being terrible. They always send notifications ~7 mins late for no reason. If you want to see a great app with instant push notifications and an excellent live tile, download SocialBox Live and find me under Doodle Jump with the username DirtSurfer07 (Andrew Bares). It's one of the fastest apps yet for opening from a push notification, and the live tile actually displays a preview of the messages you received!

MMS - Check XDA-Devs if anyone has talked about MMS problems on the Omnia. I had issues with using an unlocked Focus S on T-Mobile, but after I forced an update it started working.

Update Cycle - That's the carrier's fault, but also Microsoft's (since they let carriers have so much power). It takes ages for updates to be released, it's a joke (a little better than Android, but why would you want to compare to Android when everyone knows Android is the aboslute worst at updates? That's like comparing a race car to a Toyota Prius in terms of acceleration)

Bluetooth music streaming - Works perfectly with my HTC Radar in my car. Can even pause and skip songs right from my car's touchscreen.

Apps also launch super slow on WP7 compared to Android, but that should hopefully be fixed in WP8. Honestly WP8 is going to be something that is finally a true competitor.

Now that we've got OTA updates coming for sure with WP8, something not done with WP7, I think MS might have been able to snatch back more control over updates from the carriers. Probably in exchange for letting them extend/replace some of the built in services with their own like was posted a few months back.

Another think about BT on Omnia. I have BT connection in my car, factory installed. I can pair the phone with the car, see the address book on the car's display, call and receive calls, but there's one thing missing: music. I can't "stream" music from the phone via BT (while my old Nokia E5 can do it without issues). Also, I remember that this too is a basic feature of BT.

Another vote for "BT music streaming fine". I was able to stream and control playback using car controls in Hyundai Sonata(US) and Tata Indica (India).

+1 for bluetooth (in general) being PATHETIC on WP7. Developers have no access to the stack at all. It's plain old retarded.

+1 for bluetooth streaming being perfect on WP7 through my JVC KD-R90BT. I have full control from the headunit (and wheel controls due to me being a wizard). I can start the music playing without using the phone and can get full song information on the headunit via bluetooth. I use bluetooth streaming only when I want GPS off my phone (so the turn by turn directions play over my speakers (the music turns down a little bit first :)).

I've never had push notification issues, but I don't use facebook. I've also never had MMS issues. I have Tango installed via the cab method, and the new MMS features work nicely. Well worth having :)

I've also found apps load extremely snappily unless they are "Games" (the difference being silverlight versus -MIND BLANK-).

Over the air updates will not change the carrier delay issues whatsoever. It's possible that renegotiations with carriers might, but the OTA part is irrelevant >.<

The only real issue I have with WP7 is that they ****ed us by knowing full well they were going to discontinue WP7 for WP8. Screwed us with our pants on :\ At least they used lube though.. Looking forward to WP8 and plan to upgrade as soon as it releases :)

Well, about BT music, it must be the car then. :/ But then again, how come the Nokia E5 works?! Different BT standards, or what?!

As for MMS, as I said, here we have different APN's for internet, mms, wap, so I would have to define 2 APN's in order for both the data connection and mms to work. And that's not possible on WP7, only one APN allowed (why, I don't know).

I don't have Tango, I am waiting for the update to pop-up in Zune, don't want to install it manually.