Stuxnet leak prompts US House to consider prosecution of journalists

http://www.infosecur...of-journalists/

Prompted in part by newspaper stories about the US role in the Stuxnet worm, House lawmakers are considering amending the Espionage Act to enable the prosecution of journalists who disclose sensitive national security information.

During a House Judiciary Committee panel hearing on Wednesday, Rep. James Sensenbrenner (R-Wis.) said the committee was considering revamping the World War I era Espionage Act to allow prosecution of journalists for divulging state secrets, according to a report by theChristian Science Monitor.

Sensenbrenner acknowledged the First Amendment hurdle that such a law would have to clear, a hurdle that the Supreme Court has set quite high. ?We?ve got the constitutional issue about the First Amendment protecting the freedom of the press, but there has to be a balance?, he was quoted as saying.

Rep. Lamar Smith (R-Tex.), chairman of the Judiciary Committee, accused the Obama administration of playing politics with national security.

?What sets these leaks apart from other leaks we have seen is that the media reports that many of these have come from highly placed administration officials. If true, this means that administration officials are weakening our national security and endangering American lives?, he said in a statement.

Smith called on the Justice Department to ?bring the full force of the law? against those who leaked national security secrets. ?We can judge whether the administration is willing to conduct a serious and objective investigation by considering two factors: (1) whether they will hold administration officials responsible and (2) whether the investigation is completed before the general election?, he said.

Lucy Dalglish, executive director of the Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press, told the Monitor that there is ?no need for a new law, and certainly not a new law that was rushed through Congress without careful consideration of the First Amendment interests of the media and other members of the public who share national security information.?

So this pretty much confirms they were behind it? haha idiots.

While I don't doubt the leaks, this doesn't confirm anything. It's just a random politician using them as an excuse to push through legislation to undermine freedom of the press.

Laaaand offf theee freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee and the homeeeeee offff theee BRAAAAAAAAAAVVVVVEEEEEEEE.

Man that ended a longgggggg time agoooooo. Where have you been, Finland or something? :D

It's the land of the free. Until you uncover your government's dirty secrets and expose their lies that is. Then you're just another traitor that deserves to die

Americuuuuh... f, yeah!

I agree with this. The media should not be above us civilians. Disclosing classified information is not cool, ever.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with this also.

But at the rate we are going here in the US, we won't have any rights in 20 years. Maybe sooner, depending on how things turn out this decade I suppose.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with this also.

But at the rate we are going here in the US, we won't have any rights in 20 years. Maybe sooner, depending on how things turn out this decade I suppose.

I've noticed we seem to be losing more rights the last say 3-4 years than the prior 16 combined, scary aint it?

I've noticed we seem to be losing more rights the last say 3-4 years than the prior 16 combined, scary aint it?

Well, your founding fathers gave you guys the right to bear arms for a reason. Maybe you should give some thought to that and do something about it.

Well, your founding fathers gave you guys the right to bear arms for a reason. Maybe you should give some thought to that and do something about it.

And that right was for overthrowing the government.. but they usually leave that part out.

Yeah I'm fairly certain if we the people took up arms against our government, we'd get squashed pretty fast. This isn't the 18th century, and we are in the midst of revolutions all over the place (though some are more successful than others obviously). I'm pretty sure we'd see Twitter postings about how the US government is cracking down on revolts against them etc. It'd be pretty sucky.

Of course I could be wrong. Maybe we should just start a new revolution and get it over with. Because it sure seems that's the way we've been going for the past oh, 20 years or so in this country (revolution I mean).

I agree with this. The media should not be above us civilians. Disclosing classified information is not cool, ever.

Yet it's okay for the US government to be killing innocent civilians in drone strikes, to be launching illegal viruses against countries they are not at war with and to allow the torturing of people at Guantanamo Bay? I think you've got your priorities seriously messed up.

I'm not saying there isn't merit to the idea of placing some restrictions on the media but the US government is so far out of control I oppose anything that would give them more power, particularly when it would directly suppress the truth. People should know what actions the government is taking on their behalf, especially when such actions are illegal, immoral and abhorrent.

And that right was for overthrowing the government.. but they usually leave that part out.

I'm well aware of -exactly- what that right was given for.

I guess you didn't pay very much attention to the previous 8 years.

What was wrong with it? At the time of disclosure we didn't know who created it. It was just said it was out there.

If the shoe were on the other foot and the Chinese snuck some code on an American shipment of sensitive computer parts wouldnt this be called cyber terrorism?