Truck crash in Texas kills 11 suspected illegals

(Reuters) - A pickup truck jammed with suspected illegal immigrants crashed into a tree along a rural Texas highway on Sunday, killing 11 passengers and injuring 12 others, police said.

The one-vehicle crash on Highway 59 near Goliad, Texas, some 80 miles south of San Antonio near the Gulf of Mexico coastline, was the second fatal accident in the past three months that involved human smuggling in the region.

In Sunday's fatal accident, police said the 23 people riding in the Ford pickup truck were suspected of being illegal immigrants.

The driver lost control and crashed into a tree, Louann Presas of the Texas Department of Public Safety said.

Injured victims were transported to hospitals in Victoria, Corpus Christi and San Antonio, Presas said.

source

Considering they didn't have any right to be here at all to begin with, I can't really have any sympathy for them.

Wow, you're all heart. They were human beings. I am sure glad I don't view the world through your eyes.

• Like 2

Considering they didn't have any right to be here at all to begin with, I can't really have any sympathy for them.

Given that American history is based on taking land from native indians and then pursuing genocide against them I find that a pretty amusing statement to make. These people were trying to better their miserable lives, that doesn't mean they deserved to die.

• Like 4

I didn't say they should have to, I'm just pointing out that it's pretty disgusting to say that they deserved to die just because they're in the country illegally.

^ Dehumanizing has been going on for thousands of years. ;)

In an overpopulated world, humans will increasingly be valued less.

I didn't say they should have to, I'm just pointing out that it's pretty disgusting to say that they deserved to die just because they're in the country illegally.

You do realize that was not what he said, don't you?

I never said they deserved to die; I simply can not feel sorry for criminals who brought it on themselves with their stupidity. Perhaps if they hadn't crammed a dozen people in a single vehicle, not nearly as many people who have gotten hurt or killed.

How on Earth do you fit that many people into a pickup?? :o

AP reporting that 15 have died as a result of the crash, another 8 still in the hospital. TxDPS indicating that tire separation is the likely cause.

http://apne.ws/MGgtSJ

Article with pictures of the truck:

http://bit.ly/O5xIzV

It's kind of impressive how they managed to stuff that many people in the bed of that truck, even though it probably had some bearing on the crash. Also, an open-top truck seems to be an odd choice for smuggling folks to their destination (likely the Houston area). Would imagine most coyotes use a van or something that would hide the people from plain view. :shrug:

Given that American history is based on taking land from native indians and then pursuing genocide against them I find that a pretty amusing statement to make. These people were trying to better their miserable lives, that doesn't mean they deserved to die.

It makes sense for one country to take over another if it is stronger. We have more tolerance now, but that was perfectly acceptable back then. The Native Indians were doing it to each other well before we got here.

I never said they deserved to die; I simply can not feel sorry for criminals who brought it on themselves with their stupidity. Perhaps if they hadn't crammed a dozen people in a single vehicle, not nearly as many people who have gotten hurt or killed.

You have a point... we say the same thing when someone does something really stupid and illegal involving drugs, alcohol, guns, etc.

ban trucks! damn it! ban trucks, a mass killing by a truck.. damn it, I say we ban trucks. lol I hope some here see through my sarcasm to be analogous to the colorado shooting. seems how stupid were are becoming. sad that people lost their lives.

Maybe you should look up Mexico's history? I'll give you a hint, it is exactly the same as America's, only Spain was more brutal, in taking Mexican territory.

Not to mention, a lot of our killing was accidental. Smallpox was not on purpose, which is what wiped most of the natives out.

I'm not saying I agree with the other guys comment, but your history is way off.

Maybe you should look up Mexico's history? I'll give you a hint, it is exactly the same as America's, only Spain was more brutal, in taking Mexican territory.

Not to mention, a lot of our killing was accidental. Smallpox was not on purpose, which is what wiped most of the natives out.

I'm not saying I agree with the other guys comment, but your history is way off.

Colonism is colonism is colonism. The only difference in what you states is the cruelty level which admittedly the Spanish are at the top of that list for early colonization. That said, that reminds me of two kids stealing cookies from the cookie jar and when the mom yells at one of them, he says my brother took more than I did. His comment wasn't off, but accurate. I also on that note don't have any white guilt over it at all I didn't do it, and do not support giving it back, but lets not lie about how it happened.

^Wasn't a lie, and I have no guilt, cause as you said, I wasn't there and didn't do it. But smallpox was the underlying cause for the many deaths of native's. Yes, we also murdered them, but nowhere near the numbers smallpox caused.