Trying to Install Windows 8 Consumer Preview but no DVD Burner

Hi -

I want to install Windows 8 onto a separate drive. I have a freshly formatted partition for it. My DVD burner hasn't been used in probably years and no longer works. I also am having a hard time finding a USB thumb drive that is big enough at home... Lol, what can I say: thumb drives and optical drives have almost become obsolete for me (but apparently still necessary for installing Windows).

Is there any other way I can install Windows 8? I tried using a Virtual Optical Drive, but the installer eventually wanted me to reboot my computer in order to install Windows 8 which probably means that the installer thinks it can just boot off of the DVD but it won't because it was just an virtual optical drive.

Hmmm...

Thanks.

You can create a small partition at the end of your hard disk and format it like you would format a USB drive. Then use it to install. :)

You can create a small partition at the end of your hard disk and format it like you would format a USB drive. Then use it to install. :)

Unless you have a tutorial for that, I see that going very, very badly when the Windows USB disk creator goes to make a boot record on the hard drive...

You can do a network based install. Or you can try the DVD burner instead of assuming that it doesn't work? Or borrow a flash drive of workable size from someone? Or if all else fails... VirtualBox!

Unless you have a tutorial for that, I see that going very, very badly when the Windows USB disk creator goes to make a boot record on the hard drive...

You can do a network based install. Or you can try the DVD burner instead of assuming that it doesn't work? Or borrow a flash drive of workable size from someone? Or if all else fails... VirtualBox!

I think that the partition idea was a good one and might just work... But the USB/DVD Download Tool doesn't recognize the drive at all. And I'm not exactly sure where my original master boot record is... I have a few hard drives in my computer and I've lost track from all the Windows reinstalls.

When did I say that I didn't try my DVD burner? I'm currently staring at 9 coasters of DVD+R discs that span 3 different brands :(. The drive starts to spin up and then ImgBurn reports these write errors due to invalid addresses. I get the same from the Windows Disc Image Burner. It could be a bad driver, I suppose. I think that the last time I burned a DVD was Windows 7 beta, but that may have been at work. Seems to be reading ok...

I might just wait until tomorrow and use my work laptop's DVD burner.

EasyBCD was a good suggestion. There was an option to add an ISO (NeoSmart ISO or something) as a boot option. Seems to have booted up fine from C:\...\Downloads\Windows 8....iso. I'm installing now, I think....it initially loaded up and now there is a green screen with nothing. I might just give it a few more minutes.

That's why you go the manual route. Look up on how to do it using diskpart.

http://msmvps.com/blogs/jeffloucks/archive/2009/10/08/creating-usb-bootable-using-diskpart-and-using-it-to-install-windows-7.aspx

I guess you launched the setup,exe at the root dir., you need to launch the setup.exe in \sources folder, then it will ask you which partition to install.

If you install from within a windows, when setup had finished copying temp files and expand the files to 27%, it will reboot by itself because it has to unload the running windows. :)

A quick update!

* EasyBCD is an awesome program. With it, I was able to actually setup an option in the Windows boot manager to boot from the .iso image. This seemed to work well, but the transition between each screen was really really slow.

* I get to my disk/partitions within the Windows 8 setup. Decide I don't need that 5GB partition after all (since I'm booted off of the .iso image on my Windows 7 drive). I was able to delete that partition and my original Windows 8 partition and create a new NTFS partition for Windows 8... awesome.

* Then I try to install but Windows 8 won't install. It gives me an error. I look up the error code and it says I need to point Windows 8 to my SATA drivers... umm..ok, thats weird because I haven't needed to load separate disk controller drivers since like umm Windows XP. Windows Vista, all the Windows 7 betas, Windows 7 all installed fine on my very generic SATA controller on my ASUS motherboard.

*Download the 64bit SATA drivers for my MoBo off ASUS website. Umm, still no go. It scans and says none of them are compatible with my hardware. I know I have downloaded the correct ones unless ASUS has something screwy on their end.

*Never got it installed. I think that booting off the .ISO screwed something up with Windows 8 and my SATA controller.

I guess you launched the setup,exe at the root dir., you need to launch the setup.exe in \sources folder, then it will ask you which partition to install.

If you install from within a windows, when setup had finished copying temp files and expand the files to 27%, it will reboot by itself because it has to unload the running windows. :)

I'll give that a shot! I found it odd that I was being shoe horned into installing the media on a disc or a USB drive before it would install. The Windows 7 install can be done completely in the way you describe (which is how I installed it), and I was shocked that the Windows 8 install didn't have the same features (although I understand it is still in Beta). I'll give what you suggest a try when I get home. Thanks!

Or even use a USB drive - I bought two such 8GB drives for testing for that purpose, and find them not only ideal for laptops and smaller (which are less and less likely to have optical drives of any sort), but they are even faster than optical drives on *desktops*; as a result, I *will* be buying more such drives. (MicroCenter sells their house-brand 8GB "gamma green" thumb drives for $5.99 each in their stores and online.)

Hi -

I want to install Windows 8 onto a separate drive. I have a freshly formatted partition for it. My DVD burner hasn't been used in probably years and no longer works. I also am having a hard time finding a USB thumb drive that is big enough at home... Lol, what can I say: thumb drives and optical drives have almost become obsolete for me (but apparently still necessary for installing Windows).

Is there any other way I can install Windows 8? I tried using a Virtual Optical Drive, but the installer eventually wanted me to reboot my computer in order to install Windows 8 which probably means that the installer thinks it can just boot off of the DVD but it won't because it was just an virtual optical drive.

Hmmm...

Thanks.

You need no bigger than an 8GB thumbdrive; remember, Windows 8 is no larger than Windows 7. You can do a *custom* clean OR upgrade install from a virtual drive; I've done both sorts - just start Setup.exe from the /sources subfolder of Windows XP or later. However, for *performance* reasons, I prefer the thumbdrive for completely-clean installs - even onto desktop PCs.

What language did you download in, mine is English and was only a 3.5GB download - don't even need a 8GB USB stick...

To all of you recommending he use a USB drive, please try reading his post better. He stated that he didn't have one large enough at home. Oh, and to correct some of you, it only takes a 4GB flash drive, not an 8GB one.

To all of you recommending he use a USB drive, please try reading his post better. He stated that he didn't have one large enough at home. Oh, and to correct some of you, it only takes a 4GB flash drive, not an 8GB one.

Yup that's the reason I suggested using a HD partition but apparently PGHammer and others didn't read OP. :)

^--- Best solution. Ran the setup in the sources folder from within Windows 7 (the .iso was mounted to a drive letter), pointed the installer to my free partition and it went to town. In Windows 8 now. My original Windows 7 is preserved :D. Thanks!

Mount the ISO file with something like Daemon tool. Manage to get windows 8 installing and working fine using this method.

Mount the ISO file with something like Daemon tool. Manage to get windows 8 installing and working fine using this method.

Exactly - this little guy is awesome:

Shadrack - this will come in handy in the future if you dont want to replace your DVD drive

post-74610-0-33195400-1343441802.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

What language did you download in, mine is English and was only a 3.5GB download - don't even need a 8GB USB stick...

I chose my default (US English); the reason I bought the 8GB drives is that they fit more uses than the 4GB counterparts. Also, at some point I'll create a custom USB image based on the DL DVD which will be a *kitchen sink* image (Windows 8/Office 2013 restore/recovery medium). Further, the 8GB drives (when on sale) are either little or no more expensive than the 4GB versions.

I chose my default (US English); the reason I bought the 8GB drives is that they fit more uses than the 4GB counterparts. Also, at some point I'll create a custom USB image based on the DL DVD which will be a *kitchen sink* image (Windows 8/Office 2013 restore/recovery medium). Further, the 8GB drives (when on sale) are either little or no more expensive than the 4GB versions.

That is nice, but a USB drive is not required as you will see if you read through this thread.