Windows 8 is the first OS that made me downgrade

Read up we have already concluded it doesn't offer TV Shows in my region. Unlike iTunes which does.

In fairness, that's not the fault of the app, it's the fault of Microsoft not sorting out the licensing.

Read up we have already concluded it doesn't offer TV Shows in my region. Unlike iTunes which does.

FloatingFatMan beat me to it.

If it brings any peace(doubt it because of the metro angle :p) to you, there was a rumor that Xbox music/video will be a global launch and will come iOS/Android as well.

This is the next step...

I would have never gotten there after reading "Choose what to do with removable drives." Next thing I'll know all my external drives are being configured as a backup solution.

File History is not part of "Metro" UI or at least I haven't seen any other such UI. There is no file management in Metro UI AFAIK.

That's why Microsoft should have implemented a consistent system icon set instead of showing Metro styles icons in one place and old ones in another.

I would have never gotten there after reading "Choose what to do with removable drives." Next thing I'll know all my external drives are being configured as a backup solution.

I will get back to you on that after I get RTM running on my system in 9 days from now. :p

That's why Microsoft should have implemented a consistent system icon set instead of showing Metro styles icons in one place and old ones in another.

I guess. It's a no win situation because of the two kinds of icons in the situation. That prompt will show up in metro app as you can imagine.

If it brings any peace(doubt it because of the metro angle :p) to you, there was a rumor that Xbox music/video will be a global launch and will come iOS/Android as well.

I tell you what, if XBOX Music has a subscription service like Zune does and it works on iOS (And OS X) I'd switch and start using it for my music. Having a subscription where you can stream anything you want is in my opinion innovative within the music space and would surpass what Apple offers on iTunes. I don't want to buy every single song I'd rather just pay a flat fee and listen to whatever I want on any device. And I'd not poo-poo XBOX Music if that is the way they went with it. Right now it doesn't match iTunes but it could surpass it if they go multi-platform and offer subs like the Zune Pass.

In fairness, that's not the fault of the app, it's the fault of Microsoft not sorting out the licensing.

But Microsoft make the Application. It is up to them to get licensing obviously. As a consumer I just want it to work.

There are two things about that which I can almost guarantee you are true.

1. Not one of the developers involved want it to go gold with these inconsistencies

2. Microsoft upper management (the money men) don't care. They see the competition grabbing more of the market they want badly, and want Windows 8 out NOW.

But Microsoft make the Application. It is up to them to get licensing obviously. As a consumer I just want it to work.

But -that- very much depends on what terms the rights owners want. It's also quite possible they have exclusivity agreements with Apple. It's a cruddy situation, but that's life. Microsoft are between a rock and a hard place when it comes to licensing content.

But -that- very much depends on what terms the rights owners want. It's also quite possible they have exclusivity agreements with Apple. It's a cruddy situation, but that's life. Microsoft are between a rock and a hard place when it comes to licensing content.

I suppose.

There are two things about that which I can almost guarantee you are true.

1. Not one of the developers involved want it to go gold with these inconsistencies

2. Microsoft upper management (the money men) don't care. They see the competition grabbing more of the market they want badly, and want Windows 8 out NOW.

I think they have a set deadline with development, obviously making sure the feature set is in place and in working order takes precedence over the icon set. Other than that, are we really bitching over the icons? Really? Head over to DeviantArt for some fantastic icons sets, and take an afternoon to customize your OS. They're just icons after all, having Vista/7 icons in the OS isn't going to kill you. Otherwise, the old, 3.1-XP icons still left in the system would have by now. It's also hard to do when third party icons still use the traditional look. You're going to have a disjointed UX either way.

I think they have a set deadline with development, obviously making sure the feature set is in place and in working order takes precedence over the icon set. Other than that, are we really bitching over the icons? Really? Head over to DeviantArt for some fantastic icons sets, and take an afternoon to customize your OS. They're just icons after all, having Vista/7 icons in the OS isn't going to kill you. Otherwise, the old, 3.1-XP icons still left in the system would have by now.

Just as a quick FYI, icons don't really bother me. :p

Am I the only person here who is surprised at the amount of people who are openly admitting to pirating? There are a number of people saying they are running Win 8 RTM, which isn't legally available yet (even through MSDN/Technet).

Just as a quick FYI, icons don't really bother me. :p

No, that wasn't directed at you, heh. But I'm kinda wondering why all of the sudden icons matter to some peeps. Don't like 'em, change 'em. :p

I tell you what, if XBOX Music has a subscription service like Zune does and it works on iOS (And OS X) I'd switch and start using it for my music. Having a subscription where you can stream anything you want is in my opinion innovative within the music space and would surpass what Apple offers on iTunes. I don't want to buy every single song I'd rather just pay a flat fee and listen to whatever I want on any device. And I'd not poo-poo XBOX Music if that is the way they went with it. Right now it doesn't match iTunes but it could surpass it if they go multi-platform and offer subs like the Zune Pass.

Xbox Music is pretty much rebranded Zune and people who have Zune pass, can use it in the Xbox music today. The multi-market and multi-plaform are the only unknowns in Xbox music.

Am I the only person here who is surprised at the amount of people who are openly admitting to pirating? There are a number of people saying they are running Win 8 RTM, which isn't legally available yet (even through MSDN/Technet).

Yes. :p This happens every Windows release.

I think they have a set deadline with development, obviously making sure the feature set is in place and in working order takes precedence over the icon set. Other than that, are we really bitching over the icons? Really? Head over to DeviantArt for some fantastic icons sets, and take an afternoon to customize your OS. They're just icons after all, having Vista/7 icons in the OS isn't going to kill you. Otherwise, the old, 3.1-XP icons still left in the system would have by now. It's also hard to do when third party icons still use the traditional look. You're going to have a disjointed UX either way.

The apologist at work in his finest hour... The icons are a vital part of any operating system. If a single feature has one type of icon in one place an another one elsewhere it becomes harder to identify. It's that simple. Redirecting people to some enthusiasts icon set is just a weak response and doesn't actually address the issue. You playing the third-party card doesn't fly either. Developers are supposed to adapt to the new standard. That's what you see in OS X, there's no reason why it should be any different in Windows. If Microsoft doesn't give the right example, others won't follow suit either.

iTunes on Windows isn't anywhere near the refinement of the OS X version it feels clumsy and slow, poorly written.

Shouldnt this be something apple addresses, not Microsoft?

Shouldnt this be something apple addresses, not Microsoft?

What part of that sentence did you read that said it was Microsofts fault? It is Apples fault for writing lousy software not Microsofts. And I was just agreeing with fatmans post.

The apologist at work in his finest hour... The icons are a vital part of any operating system. If a single feature has one type of icon in one place an another one elsewhere it becomes harder to identify. It's that simple. Redirecting people to some enthusiasts icon set is just a weak response and doesn't actually address the issue.

Why am I constantly portrayed as a bad guy? Is it all of a sudden bad to customize the OS to fit your needs? It's not hard to change the damn icons.

Why am I constantly portrayed as a bad guy? Is it all of a sudden bad to customize the OS to fit your needs? It's not hard to change the damn icons.

It's definitely an effort to replace every damned icon throughout the entire system. Next to that I'll wish you the best of luck trying to find a set that actually covers everything. Not to mention it's Microsoft's task to make Windows 8 remotely consistent to begin with, not the consumer's.

I'm pretty sure I've seen you complain about the icons and lack of consistency as well. Why you suddenly try to downplay things right now is beyond me.

It's definitely an effort to replace every damned icon throughout the entire system. Next to that I'll wish you the best of luck to find a set that actually covers everything. Not to mention it's Microsoft's task to make Windows 8 remotely consistent to begin with, not the consumer's.

Next we'll be expected to bring our own start menu! :rofl:

Just formatted my main PC, and put Windows 8 RTM Enterprise on. So far I'm liking it. Different, but something new and fun.

It's cross compiled? Because iTunes is (despite Apple using that as a reason why Flash apps are evil and won't ever be allowed in iOS).

It really annoys me that iTunes is so crap. It has features that I actually -want-, but I flatly refuse to screw over my system for it.

In a sense it is. Microsoft Office for Mac was original coded for Classic Mac OS. After more than 11 years it still isn't up to OS X standards.

Just see iTunes and QuickTime for Windows as Apple's way of giving Microsoft the finger for the crap they release for OS X. ;)

I tell you what, if XBOX Music has a subscription service like Zune does and it works on iOS (And OS X) I'd switch and start using it for my music. Having a subscription where you can stream anything you want is in my opinion innovative within the music space and would surpass what Apple offers on iTunes. I don't want to buy every single song I'd rather just pay a flat fee and listen to whatever I want on any device.

Why not simply use Spotify?

Why not simply use Spotify?

I am not sure how spotify works but ZUne music pass can work without a network connection. You can download song files, albums etc.