Windows 8 is the first OS that made me downgrade

Yeah, this is funny, you were enthusiastic while showing them right? No bias? Did they catch you distain? You are obviously not a person to show anything to anyone! Windows 8 is not about visuals, it's about simplicity and having all you info at a glance. What's not to like? Did you show them the desktop? When they saw the desktop, did they say "WTF"??? Funny to me (sans orb) it really look/acts/play just like windows 7.

Windows 8 is a tablet OS, not a desktop OS. Sorry fanboys, but it's the truth. Windows 7 is dominant on the desktop. Windows 8 is useless as a desktop OS.

I showed everyone at the company I work at Windows 8 today. Everyone from the big boss to the IT department techs and everyone's expression was: "WTF is that?"

Left them my laptop all day to play with it and at the end of the day they all said the same thing:

"This sucks."

So now that you two have removed Windows 8 from your systems and don't want to or plan on using it, how can you contribute anything useful to this thread besides "Windows 8 sucks" or some variant of that sentiment?

Probably more than you did with your post :/

Windows 8 is a tablet OS, not a desktop OS. Sorry fanboys, but it's the truth. Windows 7 is dominant on the desktop. Windows 8 is useless as a desktop OS.

I showed everyone at the company I work at Windows 8 today. Everyone from the big boss to the IT department techs and everyone's expression was: "WTF is that?"

Left them my laptop all day to play with it and at the end of the day they all said the same thing:

"This sucks."

Wow, sounds like an incompetent IT Department. I bet you even showed them the boot up speed, redesigned Task Manager, added virtualization stability/options, quicker way to search for items, and the fact it is speedier than 7.

The other Sys Admins in my group (minus the Linux guy heh) actually questioned the start screen but once I showed them the search and various things you could do to pin our custom apps, they were pretty impressed. Yeah, it's different, but it's not like it doesn't work or couldn't work for people. Plus, we haven't even touched on GPOs. You could probably customize this thing to your heart's content.

How many people here complaining about Win8 actually paid for their Win7 or other previous Windows OS? :) ...

Anyway I can do the same video to show my old grandma having hard time to use Win7 too. Even my mom still has her hard time to use Win7 now. Does it prove that Win7 horrible? Every new thing you need to learn about it before you know what to do.

But then if your choice to stay with old thing where you are confortable with, then it's your choice.

You do know, there are TECHNICAL reasons for why they took the start menu out, right? Thought, you would like to know before you burst a blood vessel.

As for TECHNICAL reasons for the start menu. The next time you buy a car and its missing part of the engine software let the dealer know that its only TECHNICAL.

But wait it looks like a car, it smells like a car but its still BROKE!

Now to the real point. Windows 8 is what it is. It sure won't top Windows 7 by any means.

Those who like it do nothing with it those who hate it know how to use it!

The whole idea to Windows as I said before is a user experience. The user is suppose to have options to make it into their own.

Windows has always been an evolution some for the better, some for worse but this is a complete step back.

Wow, sounds like an incompetent IT Department. I bet you even showed them the boot up speed, redesigned Task Manager, added virtualization stability/options, quicker way to search for items, and the fact it is speedier than 7.

The other Sys Admins in my group (minus the Linux guy heh) actually questioned the start screen but once I showed them the search and various things you could do to pin our custom apps, they were pretty impressed. Yeah, it's different, but it's not like it doesn't work or couldn't work for people. Plus, we haven't even touched on GPOs. You could probably customize this thing to your heart's content.

I was excited to see built-in HyperV support on client side but as IT dept. is just about completing 7 roll out, we won't be getting 8 anytime soon. :( HyperV will be really useful at work.

If they would have left Metro out of it people would be jumping up and down for windows 8, there are some great advancedents going from Windows 7. They just ****ed it up with Metro, it just puts everyone off.

Sure windows 8 might have a great personality but it's as ugly as sin.

As for TECHNICAL reasons for the start menu. The next time you buy a car and its missing part of the engine software let the dealer know that its only TECHNICAL.

But wait it looks like a car, it smells like a car but its still BROKE!

Now to the real point. Windows 8 is what it is. It sure won't top Windows 7 by any means.

Those who like it do nothing with it those who hate it know how to use it!

The whole idea to Windows as I said before is a user experience. The user is suppose to have options to make it into their own.

Windows has always been an evolution some for the better, some for worse but this is a complete step back.

Correct!

The 'user experience' has vanished from this edition, totally, unless you like looking at an oversized phone/tablet day in and day out?, and lets face it, yes, they want a big slice of this market, but hurting the true PC/Desktop users ain't the way to go about it. Nothing in this OS can make the 'user' make it their 'own', nothing! - ZERO!

If they would have left Metro out of it people would be jumping up and down for windows 8, there are some great advancedents going from Windows 7. They just ****ed it up with Metro, it just puts everyone off.

And, granted we do like Win 8, but we won't be going to it either at our company since we just rolled out Win 7 several months ago and the SharePoint licensing is kicking our arse! :)

Correct!

The 'user experience' has vanished from this edition, totally, unless you like looking at an oversized phone/tablet day in and day out?, and lets face it, yes, they want a big slice of this market, but hurting the true PC/Desktop users ain't the way to go about it. Nothing in this OS can make the 'user' make it their 'own', nothing! - ZERO!

Sorry, but that's wrong. Once I go into the desktop, I barely have to leave it, if ever, unless I want too. Just pin your apps to the taskbar and there you go.

What gets me is the peeps running around saying that its a whole new thing, when it's still just basically fullscreen glorified "desktop gadgets" platform bolted onto the real core which is still there as it has been. This NOT a major re-thinking of anything, except a last desperate fumbling about for some market share.

Comparisons to the paradigm change introduced with Win 95 are not quite equivalent analogies. This Metro stuff is not born of careful user testing and real attempts to streamline workflow, which was the case for introducing things like the taskbar in 1995, and the object-centric approach to files and applications.

Apples and oranges.

Correct!

No, it's not. Hasn't hurt me in the least, nor hast it hurt this guy. Don't want the Metro apps? Don't use them. Unpin them, uninstall them. Whatever. Your desktop is still freaking there, untouched.

Sorry, but that's wrong. Once I go into the desktop, I barely have to leave it, if ever, unless I want too. Just pin your apps to the taskbar and there you go.

No, Its right!, why? because its always there!, hiding away in the background and waiting to pounce should you hit the wrong (or right) key, or unless you 'swipe', it will come back to haunt you again.

I was a Windows 'fanboy' up until I tried this 'bleep', but now I couldn't care less really, all is lost I'm afraid. I'd rather have my teeth pulled one by one, day in and out, without anaesthetic, than sit in front of that, day in and out, would be less painful.

And why does the new look put folks off? According to the critics, it's two things - no *chrome* and the lack of the Start menu. The Release Preview (in fact, all the Previews, which retained Aero Glass, which we were told ahead of time was going away in the RTM - was savaged entirely due to no Start menu - which tells me (at any rate) that it is entirely about comfort. They say that it changed too much when in reality, they would so rather Windows didn't change at all.

Ima try Win8 in a VM later. I have a gaming laptop, so I doubt I can upgrade to it right away until MSI releases updated utilities for it. Linux on a gaming laptop would probably suck to.

No, Its right!, why? because its always there!, hiding away in the background and waiting to pounce should you hit the wrong (or right) key, or unless you 'swipe', it will come back to haunt you again.

I was a Windows 'fanboy' up until I tried this 'bleep', but now I couldn't care less really, all is lost I'm afraid. I'd rather have my teeth pulled one by one, day in and out, without anaesthetic, than sit in front of that, day in and out, would be less painful.

Than use a launcher. Rocketdock still works. Start8. Whatever. Needless to say, I for one am glad the horrendous Start Menu is gone. It was a mess.

What gets me is the peeps running around saying that its a whole new thing, when it's still just basically fullscreen glorified "desktop gadgets" platform bolted onto the real core which is still there as it has been. This NOT a major re-thinking of anything, except a last desperate fumbling about for some market share.

Comparisons to the paradigm change introduced with Win 95 are not quite equivalent analogies. This Metro stuff is not born of careful user testing and real attempts to streamline workflow, which was the case for introducing things like the taskbar in 1995, and the object-centric approach to files and applications.

Apples and oranges.

And most of you KNOW why the change took place so rapidly - tablets and slates, and Android in particular. You know it and yet you expect Microsoft to ignore it, when Android is, in fact, taking marketshare (not just mindshare) from Windows right now? Are you that selfish?

I just installed a brand new hard drive, and what did I do with it? INSTALLED WINDOWS 7. Like a boss.

I'm sure Microsoft is shivering in their knickers that 1 more person has decided not to buy Windows 8.

(Point is, nobody cares what you use. Pick something and use it, but for the love of God, don't tell us about it.)

Than use a launcher. Rocketdock still works. Start8. Whatever. Needless to say, I for one am glad the horrendous Start Menu is gone. It was a mess.

And exactly how is this a mess in your eyes? You click on the Orb and you have everything right there with easy access? How difficult is that for you?

abjf3VIw.jpg

ablHHeZc.jpg

• Like 1

OK and? You still haven't answered my question. How is this a mess in YOUR eyes?

I will quote rhianntp, who replied to your post on that link you gave me:

"These unwelcome and unnecessary changes will be the downfall of win 8...and perhaps MS... "

I have answered it. That is exactly why I made the linked post to begin with. Read it. Read my annotated pictures. You will find your answers.

These sentiments are funny. You could, and I have, read the same posts about every version of Windows since '95.

I've always remembered a particular post from about 10 years ago that railed against XP, touting it as another Windows ME and explaining all the ways in which Windows 98 was better. I bet that person eventually upgraded to XP, and is probably still using it today.

As for Linux, been there done that. There are good reasons for it's rise, and then sharp decline in market share over the last several months: http://www.netmarketshare.com/os-market-share.aspx?qprid=9

Most of the people railing against Windows 8 will be using it within a year, touting how good it is, and acting like they thought so all along.