Windows 8 is the first OS that made me downgrade

It's definitely an effort to replace every damned icon throughout the entire system. Next to that I'll wish you the best of luck trying to find a set that actually covers everything. Not to mention it's Microsoft's task to make Windows 8 remotely consistent to begin with, not the consumer's.

I'm pretty sure I've seen you complain about the icons and lack of consistency as well. Why you suddenly try to downplay things right now is beyond me.

Yes, I want them changed just as much as the next guy, but holy crap, they're just icons. Having Vista/7 icons isn't going to stop me from getting my work done.

Yes, I want them changed just as much as the next guy, but holy crap, they're just icons. Having Vista/7 icons isn't going to stop me from getting my work done.

Did I say it would? No, I did not. I merely stated the inconsistency could make things like File History harder to identify for the average Joe because of the multiple icons being used to represent it. Next to that it looks like crap, but okay.

This a good way how to turn crap into beauty lol It doesnt look to bad. Its best to take your time making sure your icons look great on the start screen.

post-272310-0-36251100-1344293133_thumb.

• Like 2

As much as I tried to get used to Win 8, there is no way I'll go back to it. No those fake start buttons are crap. Yes they are. Just when you think Microsoft finally got it right with Win 7, someone in their R&D dept. decided that their main source of revenue needed major change. I understand the whole idea of integrating all MS devices together and trying to take over the world with a unified OS but when you force ridiculous **** down people's throat they go elsewhere. If Windows 8 becomes a requirement to run certain **** I'll switch to Ubuntu (or another Debian distro) in a heartbeat. I've been using Windows since 3.1 and never have I seen such a stupid decision since WinME. F*** *** MS.

For me, had MS made it configurable to either go to the old style desktop first, or to the metro desktop, I could have been okay. But this is WAY to much of a change to be some so hard, so fast.

Tablet and desktop are not the same need nor are they driven by the same factors. One size fits all doesn't work.

I have just went through the entire thread, and well .... I'm thinking that I should get Win 8 and put it in a VM only for testing purposes.

While I agree that Win 8 is a jarring experience with the Start screen and all (oh yeah, did I mention that I learned that the apps on the right side of the Start screen are actually "pinned" apps - same way with the top of the Win 95 to Win 7 Start menu? Just by right-clicking the bottom right portion of the Start Screen in Win 8, it gives you the "All Programs" button on a white bar), the only thing making me paranoid about attempting to dual-/multi-boot is the rumors about how Win 8's new bootloader destroying all others - like for example, I have Win Vista and 7's bootloaders showing the choice of OS on which to boot. Well if you install Win 8, on a new partition on the HD with Vista and 7, then Win 8's new bootloader will show just 8, that's it - no Vista or 7's.

Someone, please confirm that the "bug" I described (and hopefully NOT a feature!) is fixed in the RTM - because if it's not, then oh boy, MS'd be receiving TONs of calls from very p*ssed-off customers.

I have just went through the entire thread, and well .... I'm thinking that I should get Win 8 and put it in a VM only for testing purposes.

While I agree that Win 8 is a jarring experience with the Start screen and all (oh yeah, did I mention that I learned that the apps on the right side of the Start screen are actually "pinned" apps - same way with the top of the Win 95 to Win 7 Start menu? Just by right-clicking the bottom right portion of the Start Screen in Win 8, it gives you the "All Programs" button on a white bar), the only thing making me paranoid about attempting to dual-/multi-boot is the rumors about how Win 8's new bootloader destroying all others - like for example, I have Win Vista and 7's bootloaders showing the choice of OS on which to boot. Well if you install Win 8, on a new partition on the HD with Vista and 7, then Win 8's new bootloader will show just 8, that's it - no Vista or 7's.

Someone, please confirm that the "bug" I described (and hopefully NOT a feature!) is fixed in the RTM - because if it's not, then oh boy, MS'd be receiving TONs of calls from very p*ssed-off customers.

Nope, it will load Windows 8, and will let you choose what OS you want to run. If you choose Win8 then it goes directly to the lock screen. If you choose a different OS, then your PC will restart and boot to that OS. At least that's how it was on RP.

This a good way how to turn crap into beauty lol It doesnt look to bad. Its best to take your time making sure your icons look great on the start screen.

No comment on my start screen? :(

I'm not a fan of the background, mainly the colour in it. To be honest I think most of the included backgrounds are terrible. The only background I like - other than the really simple ones - is this one:

startvq.png

I'm not a fan of the background, mainly the colour in it. To be honest I think most of the included backgrounds are terrible. The only background I like - other than the really simple ones - is this one:

[snip]

I think some of their recent Metro-related artwork is really quite fascinating :rofl:

post-5569-0-59375800-1344314561.png

post-5569-0-20175300-1344314571.png

As much as I tried to get used to Win 8, there is no way I'll go back to it. No those fake start buttons are crap. Yes they are. Just when you think Microsoft finally got it right with Win 7, someone in their R&D dept. decided that their main source of revenue needed major change. I understand the whole idea of integrating all MS devices together and trying to take over the world with a unified OS but when you force ridiculous **** down people's throat they go elsewhere. If Windows 8 becomes a requirement to run certain **** I'll switch to Ubuntu (or another Debian distro) in a heartbeat. I've been using Windows since 3.1 and never have I seen such a stupid decision since WinME. F*** *** MS.

I absolutely agree with you 200%. This new Windows interface stinks. Been using it for close to 4 hours now and I am ready to recall my Windows 7 Pro image back and dump this garbage.

You know what's the worst thing about this ridiculous interface? The fact that you cant even replace that stupid background on this Metro crap with anything other than the garbage they give you. Really Microsoft? WTF were you people smoking? Forcing the user to select only what they give them is disrespectful.

abh13Dnz.jpg

Nope, it will load Windows 8, and will let you choose what OS you want to run. If you choose Win8 then it goes directly to the lock screen. If you choose a different OS, then your PC will restart and boot to that OS. At least that's how it was on RP.

Hmm. Okay thanks.

You know what's the worst thing about this ridiculous interface? The fact that you cant even replace that stupid background on this Metro crap with anything other than the garbage they give you. Really Microsoft? WTF were you people smoking? Forcing the user to select only what they give them is disrespectful.

From what I've seen the background selection consists mostly of very busy patterns that distract from the tiles. My favorite background in the Release Preview was the one with bubbles that formed the number 8, but that is not an option anymore.

You go girl ! :woot:

People just can't handle change. It took me a day to learn the new interface and get use to it. It works about the same as before really and removes the awful start menu that always became cluttered with junk shortcuts.

The start menu has been a user interface nightmare since it was introduced in Windows 95. I don't know why people would still want to work with that legacy concept.

In what way was Vista "a fail"?

Technically, it wasn't. Commercially, it kind of was; thanks to the media assassination and user brainwashing programs that went on.

My computer is not a tablet nor a toy. I do not care about Microsoft's future plans to unify all platforms. It is not my problem and I think also businesses are not going to upgrade.

People just can't handle change. It took me a day to learn the new interface and get use to it. It works about the same as before really and removes the awful start menu that always became cluttered with junk shortcuts.

The start menu has been a user interface nightmare since it was introduced in Windows 95. I don't know why people would still want to work with that legacy concept.

Sigh, I really wish people would stop saying thing like this. So just because we do not like the direction Microsoft took with Windows 8, we resist change?

I welcome change if it is change for the better. I will not blindly welcome change if it makes things more difficult.

I upgraded to Vista and 7 the same week it was available in stores. I welcomed the changes those brought.

I upgraded to Snow Leopard, Lion, and Mountain Lion the week it was available. All of those changes are welcome.

I have upgraded to the latest Ubuntu ever since I started using it in 08.

So do not give me the usual "you just cannot deal with change". If it makes my life easier, I upgrade in a hearbeat. However, WIndows 8 does not do this. I will not blindly upgrade.

Sorry, but I still think it looks terrible. Nothing of your doing though.

OS X Mountain Lion's Launchpad looks so much cleaner and nicer in my opinion. No customization beyond moving all third-party apps onto a second page. Here's a screen shot of both pages @ 50% original size:

post-128385-0-01473000-1344364164_thumb.

post-128385-0-76633900-1344364322_thumb.