Curiosity lands on Mars

It's really amazing that they can launch a probe and send it not only to the exact location where Mars will be 8 months later (a planet millions of miles away that is rotating and hurtling around the sun), but safely land it within a few feet of their planned target using something Wile E. Coyote might have dreamed up. Let's get some probes on other planets now, I want to see what Venusians look like.

Nice landing, but something bugs me here (do not hate me for saying this). Some of you said that USA rocks, COKid almost began to cheer in the first comment! Do not forget that NASA is one of the biggests science community employing many scientists from around the whole world. The project was founded by the government, but its success is international! Without those great scientists, there won't be curiosity. Congratulations for the scientists, whereever they came from, for achieving this amazing thing! Beautiful job and the fun has just begun!

It's a shame the scientists decided to go political during the celebrations. "USA is the best country, we had international collaboration from many countries, but nevermind them, WE, not them, rock!!"...

For me, it diminished the importance of the event. Science has no nationality. :(

/rant

Other than that, congratulations!

It's a great achievement and all, but really... A little perspective...

Honestly, the way people are reacting, you'd think no one had landed rovers on Mars before... Sure, it's not commonplace, but it's not a first either, and certainly isn't on par with the 1969 moon landing as per the OP. THAT won't be until we put people on Mars.

I got up early this morning and watched it.

As I love conspiracy theories, I don't believe anyonehas landed on the Moon. Watching it live this morning, I couldn't help but think there all actors!

I'd love to think they've landed on Mars, but the other half of me thinks it's all a con

I watched it live also.

I really didn't think it would make it, such a complicated landing process.

Well done to all.

Mine and my family's name is on the rover.

:)

So great of you to remind me. I also registered my and my family's name on the website where it said it will be carried to Mars. It was way back in 2009 and I had completely forgotten about it. But I still have the certificates they generated, saying I am part of history! :D It was this site, wasn't it?

http://marsparticipa...e/sendyourname/

BTW, why does it still says "being prepared", if it has reached?

The rover even has a Twitter feed associated with it, announcing its arrival by saying: "I'm safely on the surface of Mars. GALE CRATER I AM IN YOU!!!"

:laugh:

I love it when scientists have a sense of humour.

Honestly, the way people are reacting, you'd think no one had landed rovers on Mars before......

With an overall success rate of only about 30% for Mars missions, there's plenty to cheer about.

With an overall success rate of only about 30% for Mars missions, there's plenty to cheer about.

theres also the fact this rover is car sized compared to the other ones which are more comparable to a RC car

To everyone ruining this scientific achievement bragging about "usa! usa! usa!" and other nationalistic bullcrap: this is 2012 not 1982, so NASA should have been able to send human explorers on Mars if your presidents hadn't cut budgets, expectations and dreams for it.

Also: Large Hadron Collider :-D

www.nasa.gov for live coverage.

:D

USA USA USA!!!

Sometimes, even with all our problems, we can still do good for the world.

So spending billions and billions of dollars on space exploration is helping the world how??

So spending billions and billions of dollars on space exploration is helping the world how??

It is always improving our daily lives. Just a few examples of space age inventions used by the common man:

- Cordless tools;

- Smoke detectors;

- Baby food;

- Pavement;

- Ear thermometers;

- Dental braces;

- Protective paint;

- Pacemakers;

- Scratch-resistant glass;

- Sneaker insoles;

- Memory foam;

- Long distance telecomunications;

- Water filters;

- etc.

Threads merged

Umm Mods , why is my post deleted with that enhanced pic ?

It wasn't deleted. It's right here :)

It's best not to assume, in future ;) Also, to ensure the thread isn't taken off topic, in future, if you have such a query, please send a personal message to a member of the moderation team.

So great of you to remind me. I also registered my and my family's name on the website where it said it will be carried to Mars. It was way back in 2009 and I had completely forgotten about it. But I still have the certificates they generated, saying I am part of history! :D It was this site, wasn't it?

http://marsparticipa...e/sendyourname/

BTW, why does it still says "being prepared", if it has reached?

Yeah that was the site. I got all my certificates (screen shots) also.

http://goo.gl/NW4kp Paragraph 3 and 4.

I was sitting here this morning and I actually punched the air when touchdown was announced.

It was nail biting.

Sure, but it's not on par with actually putting a person on another planetary body. We've been dropping robots on Mars since the 70's. That this one is larger really has little relevance.

Also, what's with the "USA, USA!" nonsense?" It was very much an international project, USA just paid for it.

Great work on the part of ALL the scientists and technicians involved; but not a unique event by any means.

Watched it live on NASA's Ustream and it was an amazing event. This is a big deal. It may not seem like it but going from a 13,000 mph entry to 1.5 mph landing is an impressive feat. This rover is also packing way more technology and payload than the previous landers.

I"m with FatMan. Sure successfully landing another probe on Mars is cause for celebration, and it certainly is a feat of engineering and ingenuity. However, it's not the first time we've landed something on Mars. And, we already detected water on Mars before Curiosity, so that's not really that big a deal either.

I am really surprised that the landing mechanisms worked perfectly. The whole landing sequence is the most complicated one they've ever come up with. The fact that it worked perfectly and they hit their target landing site within a few meters is amazing.

Honestly, the way people are reacting, you'd think no one had landed rovers on Mars before... Sure, it's not commonplace, but it's not a first either, and certainly isn't on par with the 1969 moon landing as per the OP. THAT won't be until we put people on Mars.

We've never landed a rover the size of an SUV anywhere before, and especially not with the complicated landing system it had. NASA was doubtful it would even work, one of the mission scientists called it a long shot.