Concept for Window 8 Metro File Explorer

Clean nice and good! Why couldn't Microsoft have done something similar with Explorer for Windows 8?

I love the German word for Pictures, man. Bilder.

Thanks for comments. It is my first try of GUI for an OS.

For testing I did another screen with File Explorer Libraries:

post-452483-0-43190600-1344620806_thumb.

Probably it is still too heavy weighted with the purple :-)

All the concepts floating around are much better than what Win 8 actually has. The UI elements on the desktop look terrible. They basically just added a ribbon, fat borders, removed Aero Glass and called it a day.

All the concepts floating around are much better than what Win 8 actually has. The UI elements on the desktop look terrible. They basically just added a ribbon, fat borders, removed Aero Glass and called it a day.

Even ignoring your mischaracterisation of the new Windows 8 theme, I don't see how this theme looks any better. The purple and black colour scheme is very harsh, the icons uninspired and it lacks any colour or boundaries to make it interesting.

You're honestly saying that the theme here looks better than this?

explorerhr.png

PS - I mean no offence or disrespect to the OP and recognise that they've put a lot of work into their concept. I just don't like it.

^^ thats alot of storage you got there

*on topic* ehhhh It's okay I like what you did at the top of the file browser but otherwise im fine with what is currently offered

It's official, Neowin designers doesn't receive a coin, yet they outlast by far the designers of MS that literally, did a POS of Win8.

^^ thats alot of storage you got there

Hehe. Most of my drives are configured to Storage Spaces, which halves the amount of available storage. I have over 13.5TB in total.

With all due respect, I'm with theyarecomingforyou on this one. I find the default one better than this, but nice try.

I like the Zune-inspired mockup by Sputnik8 from The Verge but I don't see it happening. It's easy (relatively) to make a mockup than to actually implement it.

XAEOo.jpg

The Office route is more of a possibility since Office seems to be used as a test for their UI concepts:

GXW7q.jpg

It's official, Neowin designers doesn't receive a coin, yet they outlast by far the designers of MS that literally, did a POS of Win8.

Plus, all those concepts were probably made in a few days. MS really screwed up this time.

My intension was to react on the colors you can select in metro settings:

post-452483-0-54214600-1344682376.png

For example I you choose the forth from the left, File Explorer might look like this:

post-452483-0-59673800-1344682428_thumb.

@grayscale

this scribble uses for 95% metrics of current File Explorer of Windows 8 Release Preview.

Implementing is not that problem.

@all

I think main problem is the missing contrasts and that Metro icons are monochrome.

For this I guess grayscales post with the Office Route with an inverted version makes sense.

I'll try to make a mock up.

Adaption of Office 2013 style for File Explorer.

I did not find all icons in the Office 2013 applications ? some are handmade and do not look integrated yet:

post-452483-0-85225000-1344719850_thumb.

Missing icons in Office:

• Desktop
  • Downloads
  • Favorites
  • HDD
  • Netzwork
  • File properties
  • File edit
  • File history
  • File rename

• Like 2

My intension was to react on the colors you can select in metro settings:

post-452483-0-54214600-1344682376.png

For example I you choose the forth from the left, File Explorer might look like this:

post-452483-0-59673800-1344682428_thumb.

The theme colours are okay, but it's the appearance of the navigation bar that's really jarring. It forces me to focus on it, rather than the contents of the window.

@grayscale: The Zune-lookalike UI is the best I've seen to date, but hell would probably freeze over before MS implements such an attractive UI to the entire OS, so I'd settle for the Office UI being applied to Windows. A little more UI consistency would go a long way too.

This week, I did some scribbles for a Windows 8 File Explorer that is more Metro like the current one.

What do you think about it?

post-452483-0-98760700-1344550823_thumb.

MS should hire you as its UI designer! Bravo :)

I started a post similar to this one few days ago, but didn't receive any reply,... Anyway, here is mine:

file_explorer_mock_up_by_hungbnguyen-d59zj1i.png

I redesigned the layout in order simplify it and save space,... I know the icons aren't metro yet, but trust me, metro icons look horrible when I try to use them for this concept.