Windows Live Essentials 2012 is out. But should you install it?

Will you upgrade to Windows Live Essentials 2011 or 2012?  

183 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Royalty    175

Just use Trillian.

KRazpopov    28

Or if you want a super minimal, good looking, and very RAM light client, look into Trillian. It's well worth using.

Actual quote from Borman:

But Trillian I cannot figure out how to use it. And I don't think anybody else can. It is unusable. Andrea Borman.
PmRd    568

AndreaBorman, did you ever stop and think that the real problem is a couple inches from your computer monitor?

• Like 6
Yorak    416

So all this complaining and you only have two other contacts on your list? That is really strange...just saying.

Andrea Borman    17

But the mandatory update is only being issued on Messenger.

Not on the other Windows Live Essentials.

Just Messenger.

So you can you can carry on using the Windows Live Photo Gallery 2009,Windows Live Mail 2009 and Windows Live Writer 2009. Or you can even use the Windows Live Photo Gallery2008,Windows Live Mail 2008, and Windows Live Writer 2008, without the Messenger. And all of them work. No problems.

Even with Windows Live Mail 2008 you can send and receive emails.

And you can also use Windows Live Messenger 2009 and earlier versions like 8.5 and MSN Messenger 7.5.If you set Windows Live Messenger 2009 in program compatibility mode for Windows XP. And Windows Live Messenger 8.5 and MSN Messenger 7.5 in program compatibility mode for Windows 2000.

But version 8.5 and 7.5 are no longer supported. And the webcam feature does not work,unless the person you are calling is also using the same version of Messenger.

And I suppose there is a risk of very old versions of Messenger not being secure. As they are no longer supported.

But I don't think there is any risk if using an older version of Windows Live Photo Gallery.So you would be all right using Windows Live Photo Gallery 2009. Or Even Windows Live Photo Gallery 2008,if you want to use it.

Windows Live Mail 2008,is probably okay, although you won't get any new updates. But then we don't get any updates for Outlook Express or Windows Mail either. Do we. Andrea Borman.

+Frank B.    7,155

Folks: stop replying to the OP. The less attention she gets the better.

• Like 3
PmRd    568

Folks: stop replying to the OP. The less attention she gets the better.

A better solution would be for MS to stop releasing new software.

Andrea Borman    17

A better solution would be for MS to stop releasing new software.

Well it is the wrong timing. This month there have been hundreds of complaints from people about the mandatory July update. To the much hated WLE 2011 version. Now Microsoft go and make an even worse version WLE 2012.

Please tell me this is just a joke what Microsoft are doing. Releasing this WLE 2012 version. Andrea Borman.

Ci7    211

you make me wish if just Microsoft make new windows without BC to those stoneage stuffs :x

+devHead    2,170

I have just read on the Microsoft website that Windows Live Essentials 2012 has just been released by Microsoft.

This comes at a time when only a few weeks ago Microsoft issued a mandatory update in July.To all Windows Vista,Windows 7 and Windows 8 users.Who are still on Windows Live Essentials 2009 version to upgrade to WLE 2011 version. Which is much hated by many Windows users.

And as a result most Windows 7,Windows Vista and Windows 8 users,including me,have refused to upgrade to WLE 2011 version. And have successfully stayed on WLE 2009 version. And some people are using earlier versions of Windows Live Messenger. Windows Live Messenger 8.5 and MSN Messenger 7.5.

But now Microsoft have put out WLE 2012 version. And from the screenshots,it looks even worse than WLE 2011 version. It is more confusing and there is even more of the Ribbon than there was in WLE 2011 version.

And now when you go to the Microsoft website in Windows 7 or Windows 8,you get redirected to the WLE 2012 download page.

Windows Live Essentials 2012 is only for Windows 7 and Windows 8. So you won't have to worry about it if you are on Windows XP or Windows Vista.

And of course you can avoid upgrading to WLE 2012 just like you can WLE 2011.And stay on WLE 2009 version. Which I have done.

So will you install WLE 2012 or not?

Well as for me. I have never upgraded to WLE 2011 version and I have stayed with WLE 2009 version. So I am certainly not going to upgrade to WLE 2012 version. So I am not installing this WLE 2012 NO WAY. I am staying with WLE 2009 version. Andrea Borman.

Andrea Borman, you need to stop posting threads about how much you hate everything that's been released by Microsoft since the beginning of the 21st Century. If you don't want to install any of it and want your operating system to look like some puked up version of Windows XP or Windows 2000, that is your personal choice and you're free to do it. But no one else, save for perhaps a few other equally misguided individuals like yourself thinks these new programs and updates are bad the same way you do. I mean, look at how you have your UI looking. Do you really expect people to take you seriously? Notice the way the voting is going on your silly poll you have up there. Most do not share your opinion and hatred of these updated Microsoft products. That is all.

• Like 6
Andrea Borman    17

devHead wrote-

Andrea Borman, you need to stop posting threads about how much you hate everything that's been released by Microsoft since the beginning of the 21st Century. If you don't want to install any of it and want your operating system to look like some puked up version of Windows XP or Windows 2000, that is your personal choice and you're free to do it. But no one else, save for perhaps a few other equally misguided individuals like yourself thinks these new programs and updates are bad the same way you do. I mean, look at how you have your UI looking. Do you really expect people to take you seriously? Notice the way the voting is going on your silly poll you have up there. Most do not share your opinion and hatred of these updated Microsoft products. That is all.

Read the Microsoft Answers Forum on this thread here 32 pages long. And you will see exactly how many people feel about Windows Live Essentials 2011 version.

Here-http://answers.micro...74-52505bbbf290

They don't like WLE 2011 version. And neither do I. That's why we stay with WLE 2009 version.

And Microsoft may have released WLE 2012 version. But nobody will upgrade to it. That's all. I and most people are staying with WLE 2009 version. Andrea Borman.

KRazpopov    28

I just checked out this persons website; those videos are kind of disturbing and what is with the terrorist stuff?

I think she has some kind of mental disorder and needs professional help.

Can we close this thread?

I made the mistake of trying to reason with her in the comments of her "Why are forums being so difficult-part 1" video, specifically her views towards neowin. The reply almost seems as if she didn't read the damned comment. There's just no hope, i tell ya.

I really shouldn't have sat through all three of those videos as well.

And Microsoft may have released WLE 2012 version. But nobody will upgrade to it. That's all. I and most people are staying with WLE 2009 version. Andrea Borman.

Well, I guess I'm nobody then.

Farchord    404

Read the Microsoft Answers Forum on this thread here 32 pages long. And you will see exactly how many people feel about Windows Live Essentials 2011 version.

They don't like WLE 2011 version. And neither do I. That's why we stay with WLE 2009 version.

Ever heard of Linux?

Martog    70

Well it is the wrong timing. This month there have been hundreds of complaints from people about the mandatory July update. To the much hated WLE 2011 version. Now Microsoft go and make an even worse version WLE 2012.

Please tell me this is just a joke what Microsoft are doing. Releasing this WLE 2012 version. Andrea Borman.

Wait, hundreds? HUNDREDS? STOP THE SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT RIGHT AWAY. Because hundreds out of millions are the majoirty, right?

• Like 1
Nune Journalist Journalist    0

Actually i've tried it, but then removed:)) It just made my notebook work slower....

+devHead    2,170

You are wrong. Nearly everybody will upgrade to it. I did, and if you would even bother to look at the poll you created, most everyone here is upgrading and thinks it's a good product. So please stop deluding yourself and posting incorrect information. Most people are not staying with WLE 2009 either. Again, you're wrong. You have no data or anything to back up anything you ever post. It's just your deluded opinions. So stop saying using phrases which include the words "everybody" and "nobody" and "most people". You don't know what you're talking about. Ever.

• Like 1
Boo Berry    2,264

I'd like to know where the hell she gets her statistics stating that 'we' are still using WLE 2009 and 'nobody' is using WLE 2011 or 2012. Oh that's right, thin air, sorry...

• Like 1
Martog    70

I'd like to know where the hell she gets here statistics stating that 'we' are still using WLE 2009 and 'nobody' is using WLE 2011 or 2012. Oh that's right, thin air, sorry...

She gets it from anothe forum that is 31 pages long, that is her source, of the hundreds of people that are complaing. A very far cry from the majority of users of WLE. She is part of a minority of people complaing about WLE above 2009.

For the record, I upgraded the same day it came out. Been using 2011 since it came out as well.

Boo Berry    2,264

No kidding, that's way less than 1% of users. Where's the thread about the people whom actually like and use it? Anyways...

pebkac-problem-exists-between-keyboard-and-chair.jpg

• Like 3
Xilo    936

I liked WLE 2011 and like 2012 just the same.

Boo Berry    2,264

A little correction that needs pointed out, it's called Microsoft Essentials 2012 not Windows Live Essentials 2012. They've dropped the Live branding.

Andrea Borman    17

The problem is that we like a software and get used to it. And then when they make a new version of the software,it is completely different from the old version.

For example,I stopped using Firefox after they stopped making Firefox 3.6. Because Firefox 4 and above version are not the same as Firefox 3.6

So now I use Pale Moon 3.6 which is the same as Firefox 3.6 and updated regular.

It's the same problem with WLE.WLE 2011 and WLE 2012 is so different from WLE 2009 version that some people don't want to use it.

I don't mind updating my software. But not to a version that is not like the old version. Microsoft should have just made WLE 2011 and 2012 the same as WLE 2009 and previous versions. Not like it is now. Andrea Borman.

Xilo    936

The problem is that we like a software and get used to it. And then when they make a new version of the software,it is completely different from the old version.

For example,I stopped using Firefox after they stopped making Firefox 3.6. Because Firefox 4 and above version are not the same as Firefox 3.6

So now I use Pale Moon 3.6 which is the same as Firefox 3.6 and updated regular.

It's the same problem with WLE.WLE 2011 and WLE 2012 is so different from WLE 2009 version that some people don't want to use it.

I don't mind updating my software. But not to a version that is not like the old version. Microsoft should have just made WLE 2011 and 2012 the same as WLE 2009 and previous versions. Not like it is now. Andrea Borman.

People like you are what stops progress. Grow up and learn to embrace change instead of being a hard-headed old fool stuck in your own ways.

I'm not saying accept all change, but your resistance to change is just appalling.

• Like 5
Dot Matrix    7,438

- Snipped BS -

Grow up. If you want to use computers, you're gonna have to learn to deal. You're never going to progress without it.

• Like 1
Boo Berry    2,264

Enjoy your dinosaur hardware and software then while the rest of the world moves forward...

Also, you probably shouldn't use Windows 8 or 7 for that matter. Perhaps an 'upgrade' to Windows XP is in your future? ;)

• Like 2