Man fights for controversial license plate back "IB6UB9"

People found it obscene, they reported it. The agency found it to be obscene after investigating, which means they found it obscene.

Splitting hairs is not your strong suit. :p

I meant, they didn't find it obscene at the time of sale... so that should have been the end of it.

Only reason they find it "obscene" now, is because they're tired of hearing people bitch about it, so they'll shut them up instead of just letting this guy have his plate. It's all a PR move.

I meant, they didn't find it obscene at the time of sale... so that should have been the end of it.

Only reason they find it "obscene" now, is because they're tired of hearing people bitch about it, so they'll shut them up instead of just letting this guy have his plate. It's all a PR move.

The correct way to look at it would be fraud, These kind of plates were illegal and the only reason this made it through was an accident. Its akin to cashing a unsinged money order accidentl given to you and then claiming "they only made a big deal because the legitimate owner complained, they gave it to me because they found me to be the rightful owner". Thats a criminals arguement to blame everything on someone else.

The correct way to look at it would be fraud, These kind of plates were illegal and the only reason this made it through was an accident. Its akin to cashing a unsinged money order accidentl given to you and then claiming "they only made a big deal because the legitimate owner complained, they gave it to me because they found me to be the rightful owner". Thats a criminals arguement to blame everything on someone else.

I can see not letting swear words on plates.. but they shouldn't be this strict on it..

I can see not letting swear words on plates.. but they shouldn't be this strict on it..

They shoudlnt be strict at all and swear words should be allowed, however campaigning against a law should never be a call to break said law unless civil disobediance is in practice and then you must except the consequences of your actions and not fight against the law.

So there's not a possibility that at the time the person or system who handled the filing (and let the plate clear) just didn't understand the reference?

I've had moments where someone at work was passing something my way to try to get me to sign off on it and I almost did until I stopped and looked at it more carefully. In fact part of one of my old jobs was spotting stuff exactly like this to keep certain things off certain online services.

So there's not a possibility that at the time the person or system who handled the filing (and let the plate clear) just didn't understand the reference?

I've had moments where someone at work was passing something my way to try to get me to sign off on it and I almost did until I stopped and looked at it more carefully. In fact part of one of my old jobs was spotting stuff exactly like this to keep certain things off certain online services.

Oh I'm sure thats exactly what happened. I just think restricting such things to be ridiculous.

I still don't get how the numbers 6 and 9 appearing disconnected in the number plate, could be obscene. If it was 69 together, sure, but separated like they are, they have no meaning...

I still don't get how the numbers 6 and 9 appearing disconnected in the number plate, could be obscene. If it was 69 together, sure, but separated like they are, they have no meaning...

They are not disconnected. It's a cohesive statement. If it were written out into a sentence it would likely appear as follows:

I'll be 6, and you'll be 9. It's a reference to a specific sexual position dictating which person be in which position.

I personally don't mind it, and even find it a bit funny, but on a government issued license plate...I'm not sure they find it so funny.

You mean to tell me people actually called to complain about a license plate? I wouldn't care if the plate blatantly said F**k You. It wouldn't make me call and complain about something as ridiculous as this!

Don't people have anything better to do and doesn't the DMV have anything better to do either? Sheesh, the number of stories about personalized license plates like this is getting absurd.

They are not disconnected. It's a cohesive statement. If it were written out into a sentence it would likely appear as follows:

I'll be 6, and you'll be 9. It's a reference to a specific sexual position dictating which person be in which position.

I personally don't mind it, and even find it a bit funny, but on a government issued license plate...I'm not sure they find it so funny.

Techncially, wether you're 6 or 9 , you're still in the same position :p

Yes, I know that... But I'm still waiting for someone to explain why it's obscene?

I guess it's a cultural difference... Some folks in the US are such... prudes.

Yes, I know that... But I'm still waiting for someone to explain why it's obscene?

I guess it's a cultural difference... Some folks in the US are such... prudes.

Well, I did laugh at the plate when I first saw it. But, I would hate to be the parent in the car with 10 year olds asking "Daddy, what does I'll be six you be nine mean?" Or, be the Sunday carpool driver with your preacher in the passenger seat and pull up behind a vehicle with such a plate.

What I'm getting at is the plate COULD be understood to have a sexual reference. And people found it disturbing to encounter such a plate and reported it as offensive/obscene.

Then again....maybe the ones complaining were the people who registered for a similar plate and it was rejected as obscene. Now they're wondering how this guy got away with it and complained.

Well, I did laugh at the plate when I first saw it. But, I would hate to be the parent in the car with 10 year olds asking "Daddy, what does I'll be six you be nine mean?" Or, be the Sunday carpool driver with your preacher in the passenger seat and pull up behind a vehicle with such a plate.

What's wrong with the truth? My kids are 9 and 12, both are well aware of what sex is and its role in life and society.

And I wouldn't have a preacher in my car. Under the wheels, possibly.

Then again....maybe the ones complaining were the people who registered for a similar plate and it was rejected as obscene. Now they're wondering how this guy got away with it and complained.

This at least, I could understand.

You'd have to be an adult who knew what that plate was referring to to even decode that.

There's a guy around here with the license plate B1R and I don't think anyone gets it, but I laugh every time I see it. :rofl:

I don't get it. Can someone embarrass me and explain it to me please.

What I'm getting at is the plate COULD be understood to have a sexual reference. And people found it disturbing to encounter such a plate and reported it as offensive/obscene.

I can guarantee a 10-year-old kid isn't going to ask that, because they are used to looking at plates that don't mean anything all day, even if they did bother to notice any particular plate. The only ones that jump out at you are the ones you recognise as a word/phrase, and for a 10-year-old, this really wouldn't.

(If, for argument's sake, they did ask and you were uncomfortable explaining "it's a silly adult joke" or something, just feign ignorance and say it doesn't mean anything. They'll forget about the whole thing 5 minutes later. No need to make a big deal out of nothing.)

• Like 2

And that's your issue if you get offended by it or don't want to go through the trouble of not explaining that it's just a silly adult joke.

Simple

"nothing, it's just a random license plate"

Alternatively, "ask your mother, she likes being 9"

Ad if you're not American and not some overly prude with a false belief that sexuality will hurt kids "you'll learn when you're older,mit's a grown up/sexual thing"

Think of the new Orleans beads scene from family guy

"we all know what's happening here, it's not show, but we all know, the kids don't, but we know"

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D06dE70CRNvo&v=06dE70CRNvo&gl=US

An overly selective censorship of an inane set of alphanumaic figures which taken in the context for which they are intended is just an abuse of power.The sensitive nature of the people making the complaints suggest to me they should go hide in the wardobe or the wicked world will warp they`re moral judgement pre accendment to paradise.

political correct people need to stay inside thier bubbles and let us big cats play. so sick of them.

Obviously this was probably intended in the sexual way, but it could also have a different meaning that isn't related to sex, for all anyone who passes it knows. It's entirely down to how the person interprets it, and if someone interprets it in the sexual way and then becomes offended, I believe that is their own fault and they should deal with it. As others have pointed out, some people need to just accept that they're offended, if they become offended so easily by petty things that most of us don't find offensive. Some of the things that people become offended by are ridiculous, in my opinion. As you can tell, I have no sympathy for these people, especially those who are offended by sexual things :p

Obviously this was probably intended in the sexual way, but it could also have a different meaning that isn't related to sex, for all anyone who passes it knows. It's entirely down to how the person interprets it, and if someone interprets it in the sexual way and then becomes offended, I believe that is their own fault and they should deal with it. As others have pointed out, some people need to just accept that they're offended, if they become offended so easily by petty things that most of us don't find offensive. Some of the things that people become offended by are ridiculous, in my opinion. As you can tell, I have no sympathy for these people, especially those who are offended by sexual things :p

+900001!! I've been saying that for years!