Nokia September 5th Event - Live Stream and Official Discussion

George P
Its working 100% for me in IE9

I'm on IE9 as well, I think it depends on your location as well.

2000mAh battery

Roger H.

Lumia 920 now official :)

George P

Ok, back up now

Right in time for the Lumia 920!

PureView and City Lens

Nokia PureMotion HD+

Built in wireless charging.

Built in floating lens tech, sounds damn good.

Detection

Ok, back up now

Right in time for the Lumia 920!

PureView and City Lens

Nokia PureMotion HD+

Built in wireless charging.

Built in floating lens tech, sounds damn good.

Yea those photos looked like they were LTE not just normal snaps, i'm liking the look so far but don't think my wallet will like the price

George P

PureMotion HD+ up now.

Better than HD res, fast refresh rate.

Automatic adjustment of screen color/contrast etc to different lighting environments.

They're now talking about wireless charging.

Nokia is making deals to place wireless charging plates in different places so you can charge your Lumia while waiting at different places. Nice!

Detection

Pleased wireless charging has come to town, means now it will only get better and better until eventually hopefully anywhere in the house just like wifi will charge your devices

George P

Windows Phone 8 stuff up now. JoeB is up!

Damn, they're still going to tease us with features and not show everything.

Detection

Wonder if MS will announce WP7.8 update for us WP7.5 owners

George P

They just demoed taking screenshots.

Detection

New pinch to zoom for the camera

George P

Now they're demoing the new Lenses feature.

.Neo

I wonder how many of these features will make it into Windows Phone 7.8.

Calum

GP007, did they say they're not yet going to unveil all of the Windows Phone 8 features or just that they're not going to mention them all in this event? Thanks for the updates, by the way :)

Detection

I wonder how many of these features will make it into Windows Phone 7.8.

Probably some of the camera functions, doesn't look like they would need a new OS

George P

Custom Nokia Lenses on Lumia 920 devices, expected.

GP007, did they say they're not yet going to unveil all of the Windows Phone 8 features or just that they're not going to mention them all in this event? Thanks for the updates, by the way :)

They're saving the rest for another event Joe said.

They're demoing the new display now.

• Like 1
Calum

[. . .]

They're saving the rest for another event Joe said.

Thanks for letting me know :) I'm highly disappointed. I know they didn't state that they would announce all features at this event, but I'd really hoped they would. Right now, I'm set on getting an iPhone, but Microsoft can convince me otherwise if they include certain features I'd like (specifically some better Facebook integration) or impress me in other ways, but they really need to do that soon. I'm concerned that this "other event" might not even be until October :/ I wonder what their reasoning is for not announcing the new features yet. I can only hope it's because they're still working on awesome new additions ;)

George P

Super sensitive touch display tech. Works naturally even with big winter gloves on.

New JBL PowerUP speaker, builtin in wireless charging and built in NFC.

.Neo

Why do I suddenly get the feeling the wireless charger will come as a pricy accessory and by default you only get a regular charger?

• Like 1
Detection

Hmm, he seemed a little unsure if the wireless charging was going to work and overly happy that it did, looks like its not a perfected art yet

Manish

I'm highly disappointed. I know they didn't state that they would announce all features at this event, but I'd really hoped they would.

Same here. All they really showed off was the new Lenses feature on WP8. I was interested in the presentation while they were showing off the Lumia 920 and then it just got boring.

.Neo

Hmm, he seemed a little unsure if the wireless charging was going to work and overly happy that it did, looks like its not a perfected art yet

It was his attempt at making a joke. He wasn't really unsure.

George P

City Lens demo sorta working, though the big screen isn't showing what he's seeing on the phone.

They're just talking about some new apps exclusive to Lumia devices.

Detection

Smart Shoot looks great

George P

More PureView demos.

REM2000

I agree, he's not a very good presenter, doesn't really seem sure of any of the tech and panic's easy.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By zikalify
      Nokia research says 5G is 90% more energy-efficient than 4G
      by Paul Hill

A new study conducted by Nokia and Telefonica has found that 5G networks are up to 90% more efficient than 4G networks. The findings were the result of a three-month study which looked at the power consumption of the Radio Access Network (RAN) in Telefonica’s network.

The two firms were keen to highlight that although 5G networks will dramatically increase network traffic, it will not lead to a rise in energy consumption at the same rate, which they say shows their commitment to climate change.

Despite the positive results, Nokia admits that 5G networks still require further action to make them more energy-efficient and to reduce their CO2 emissions. It said existing energy-saving features at the radio base station and network levels like 5G power-saving features, small cell deployments, and new 5G architecture and protocols can “significantly improve” energy efficiency of wireless networks when they’re combined.

The study used solutions from Nokia’s AirScale portfolio including AirScale Base Stations and AirScale Massive MIMO Active Antenna solutions. Commenting on the hardware and study President of Mobile Networks at Nokia Tommi Uitto said:

Both of the firms say they’re committed to limiting global warming to 1.5C. Nokia, in particular, said that it will be decreasing its emissions from its operations by 41% by 2030 and that it has helped customers who modernised their base stations to use 46% less energy. Last year, the firm said that it delivered zero-emission products to over 150 customers worldwide; this should help cut a lot of CO2 emissions that would have otherwise been produced.

• By indospot
      HMD Global introduces the Nokia 6300 and 8000 with 4G and Google Assistant
      by João Carrasqueira

HMD Global has announced the latest members of its family of feature phones, or "dumb" phones, as they're sometimes called. The new phones are the Nokia 6300 4G and Nokia 8000 4G, and they share some similarities in terms of specs and features, including the same Snapdragon 210 chipset, 512MB of RAM, and 4GB of internal storage, which you can expand via microSD cards.

The Nokia 6300 4G naturally draws some inspiration from the original Nokia 6300 from 2007 in terms of design, but it's been modernized to be more suitable for the modern day. KaiOS can run some basic apps - including popular apps like WhatsApp - and it also supports the Google Assistant, so there are still some smarts. What's notable about it is that it's Nokia cheapest phone yet to offer that feature set, coming in at an average retail price of €49.

In addition to 4G, the phone supports Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, A-GPS, and it has an FM radio, which is enabled by connecting a headset with the 3.5mm jack. The display is a 2.4-inch QVGA panel, which isn't meant to wow anyone, and the camera is also the bare minimum, being a VGA sensor, but it does have a flash, which can be used with the camera or just as a flashlight. There's a 1,500mAh battery, which promises up to 27.9 days of standby time and 8.2 hours of talk time.

As mentioned above, the Nokia 8000 4G is very similar in terms of specs, and the biggest differences are in the design. It has a front panel that curves at the edges, including the number keys, and the back uses a "glass-like" material to make the phone feel more premium. It also comes in different colors that make better use of that design.

Specs-wise, the only differences are the display, which is 2.8 inches diagonally, and the rear camera, which is a 2MP sensor instead of a VGA one. Everything else is pretty much the same.

Both phones are available in select markets from today. The Nokia 6300 4G comes in Cyan Green, Light Charcoal, and Powder White colors and costs €49 on average. The Nokia 8000 4G comes in Onyx, Opal, Citrine, and Topaz color options, and costs €79.

• By Abhay V
      HMD Global brings the Nokia 8.3 5G as the Nokia 8 V 5G UW via Verizon to the U.S.
      by Abhay Venkatesh

HMD Global today announced that it is launching the Nokia 8.3 5G in the U.S. as the Nokia 8 V 5G UW via Verizon. The 8.3 5G originally debuted in March and was reported to be coming to the U.S. sometime this fall.

The latest 5G offering from Verizon Wireless bears the nomenclature seen on all its other devices, with the UW suffix signifying support for the faster mmWave 5G speeds. The device also supports Verizon 5G Nationwide, the carrier’s recently announced sub-6Ghz low band 5G network. Juho Sarvikas, Chief Product Officer at HMD Global, said that the device is the company’s “first affordable flagship carrier device on Android in the U.S.”.

As for the specs, the Nokia 8 V 5G UW is powered by a Snapdragon 765G with 6GB or 8GB RAM and 64GB or 128GB storage options. The device also supports expandable storage via microSD cards. At the front sits a 6.81-inch FullHD+ PureDisplay screen with support for HDR. At the rear, the device sports a quad-camera setup with ZEISS optics. The main camera duties are carried out by a 64MP sensor accompanied by an ultra-wide-angle sensor with Night video mode for improved low light performance, a macro lens, and a depth camera unit. The phone features a power button-mounted fingerprint sensor and houses a 4500mAh battery.

The Nokia 8 V 5G UW will be available starting November 12 from $699.99 on Verizon’s website and the My Verizon app.

• By zikalify
      Nokia report warns of rising cyberattacks on IoT devices
      by Paul Hill

Nokia’s latest Threat Intelligence Report has warned that cyberattacks on internet-connected devices are continuing to rise at an “alarming rate” due to poor security protections. The report found that IoT devices now make up 33% of infected devices, up from 16% in 2019.

According to the report, the most affected IoT devices are those that are routinely assigned public-facing internet IP addresses. It highlighted that networks that use carrier-grade Network Address Translation see the infection rate of IoT devices reduced considerably because the vulnerable devices are not visible to network scans.

Commenting on the findings in the report, Bhaskar Gorti, Nokia Software President and Chief Digital Officer, said:

Pivoting away from IoT devices, the report also looks at how cybercriminals have used the COVID-19 pandemic to launch cyberattacks. It said that criminals are using people’s fears to spread malware, for example, it said that a coronavirus map application mimicked the Johns Hopkins University app and deployed malware on the devices it was installed on. To protect against these types of attacks, Nokia’s report suggests that people should only install applications from trusted sources such as Google and Apple.

• By Jay Bonggolto
      HMD Global announces the Nokia 2 V Tella for $168
      by Jay Bonggolto

HMD Global announced today its latest entry-level smartphone that costs less than $200. The Nokia 2 V Tella is available to purchase now in Walmart stores and through Walmart.com from $89, with availability on select Verizon stores scheduled later this month for $168.

The device sports a 5.45-inch HD+ display and is powered by a quad-core MediaTek Helio A22 SoC, paired with 2GB of RAM and 16GB of internal storage. At the back of the phone, there's a dual camera comprising an 8MP auto focus sensor that uses artificial intelligence to provide "greater depth and brighter image results even in challenging lighting situations". It is complemented by a 2MP depth sensor.

While most of its key specs are nothing to write home about, its battery life offers a better experience for its price range. Its 3000mAh battery features an AI-powered Adaptive Battery system to prioritize resources for your most frequently used apps, keeping your phone up for as long as two days.

The Nokia 2 V Tella has a dedicated Google Assistant button and AI Face Unlock. Other features include support for dark theme, Focus Mode, Family Link, and many more. The phone runs Android 10 and comes in blue color.