Nokia September 5th Event - Live Stream and Official Discussion

Calum

[. . .]

(viewable outside AND works with gloves on :woot:)

[. . .]

This is actually one of the biggest hardware selling points to me. I was regularly frustrated last year when walking or cycling to/from work and having to remove my gloves just to change the track I was listening to. Overall, the hardware looks fantastic.

.Neo
No, as I explained in the rest of my post :)

In the meantime a lot of people will have bought the iPhone 5 or some other smartphone. They won't sit around waiting for a product they know next to nothing about. If Microsoft announced much more about Windows Phone 8 people could have actually said "Well that's something worth waiting for". Instead they still don't have a single clue about what exactly Windows Phone 8 will bring (beyond the new Start screen), September 12 will pass, iOS 6 has been fully demoed alongside the iPhone 5 and people will order that.

Remember, Nokia's popularity dwindled severely and there's no hype surrounding Windows Phone 8 whatsoever.

• Like 1
jakem1

In the meantime a lot of people will have bought the next iPhone or some other smartphone. They won't sit around waiting for a product they know next to nothing about.

That's not my problem ;) The new iPhone will probably be available from the 12th/13th so Apple have an advantage anyway but given the fact that WP8 phones are expected to be available from late October/early November it's obvious that you're not going to have to wait too long for MS's announcement. Perhaps they want to see what Apple push and then tailor their message accordingly.

Regardless, I'm not too concerned and I'd be very surprised if Apple announce anything vaguely interesting given their track record - maybe more faux-leather across the UI :laugh: Motorola won't produce any buzz because they consistently produce rubbish and Amazon will be focussing on tablets.

EDIT: I see you edited your post but I think we covered the same things.

Vice

I think I preferred the physical design of the Lumia 800 over the Lumia 920. The matte plasticy-rubber appearance was more appealing to me than the metal look the 920 has. But having said that the phone does still look great just not as great. It's funny because it's obviously using better materials, metal is more desirable than plastic and yet for some reason I prefer the older design.

I really like that they've given it a touch screen that works with pens, gloves and fingernails. Definitely an improvement over past technology. I'm also really liking the built in wireless charging feature even though you need to buy a charger separately.

I know I've said this previously but gosh I really wish Nokia would have launched Android Lumia phones. I would have bought a Lumia 800 and probably upgraded to a Lumia 920 if it came with Android. No Android phone that I'm aware of comes with this new touch screen technology or built in wireless charging features and none of them look this good physically.

jakem1

I think I preferred the physical design of the Lumia 800 over the Lumia 920. The matte plasticy-rubber appearance was more appealing to me than the metal look the 920 has. But having said that the phone does still look great just not as great. It's funny because it's obviously using better materials, metal is more desirable than plastic and yet for some reason I prefer the older design.

I really like that they've given it a touch screen that works with pens, gloves and fingernails. Definitely an improvement over past technology. I'm also really liking the built in wireless charging feature even though you need to buy a charger separately.

I know I've said this previously but gosh I really wish Nokia would have launched Android Lumia phones. I would have bought a Lumia 800 and probably upgraded to a Lumia 920 if it came with Android. No Android phone that I'm aware of comes with this new touch screen technology or built in wireless charging features and none of them look this good physically.

The Lumia 920 has the same polycarbonate case as the 800. It's not made of metal and they specifically discounted the use of metal cases because of the negative impact that has on antenna performance.

Vice

The Lumia 920 has the same polycarbonate case as the 800. It's not made of metal and they specifically discounted the use of metal cases because of the negative impact that has on antenna performance.

It looks metallic in pictures. My bad I guess.

nokia_lumia_920_color_range_large_verge_medium_landscape.jpg

George P

Well, that only took 6 pages to show up, you guys are slipping.

On topic, since this is again a Nokia event they wanted to tout the hardware, demoing the WP8 Lens feature fit because it highlighted a key area of the 920, the new camera.

As for showing more, they're going to have another event, it could be BUILD in October I'd say. Consumers have a short memory, mostly, what difference would it have made if they said you'll be able to buy these in say, mid-October if the iPHone 5 goes on sale next week anyways? Announcing the date isn't changing things unless you can put them on sale today, which they aren't. Those iPhone 5 sales will happen regardless.

You'll probably be able to pre-order these soon, you can do so for the Ativ S at a few places already so it shouldn't be any different.

micro

Damn, I am highly unimpressed by the 820. I Hope that HTC can bring something worthy to t-mobile. Also wtf with all the phones being >= 4.3" ??? My girlfriend does not want that big of a phone...

• Like 1
Tom

GIVE ME A 920, NOW.

.Neo

That's not my problem ;)

Where did I even remotely imply it was?

George P

Damn, I am highly unimpressed by the 820. I Hope that HTC can bring something worthy to t-mobile. Also wtf with all the phones being >= 4.3" ??? My girlfriend does not want that big of a phone...

Regardless of what your GF tells you, size does matter. :p

I kid.

I expect a 4" model, probably a 7xx or a tweaked 820 for the EU? I personally love and want the bigger screened 920.

More on the Nokia Lumia 920 Pureview Camera, Lens Stabilization:

NokiaLens.PNG

The Nokia Lumia 920 will have a 8.7megapixel Pureview Camera that is also fitted with floating lens technology. What is floating lens technology?

As Nokia's Kevin Shields mentioned in today's New York event, the key to taking good pictures is light. There are two basic ways to get more light with a camera. First, create a larger opening for light to pass through. The Nokia Lumia 920 will be fitted with a f2.0 aperture lens which allow more light to the camera sensor than the current Lumia Windows Phone models.

The second way to get more light is to leave the shutter open longer. To do this, you run the risk of camera motion blurring the subject. To help reduce this motion blur, the Lumia 920 will have image stabilization through floating lens technology. Essentially the lens housing will be suspended and stabilized by springs. It will keep the lens steady for low light pictures.

Here's a quick example that was given... the first taken with a competitor's smartphone.

PureviewBefore.PNG

and the same shot taken with the Lumia 920 Pureview Camera.

PureviewAfter.PNG

It may not be a 41 megapixel camera but the Lumia 920's camera is very impressive.

http://www.wpcentral.com/more-nokia-lumia-920-pureview-camera-lens-stabilization

Manish

A quick hands-on video at The Verge:

(Source: http://www.theverge....on-photos-video)

Looks very buttery smooth, as usual.

Also:

CEO Stephen Elop declined to give specific pricing or release dates, but he did say that Nokia would be entering "select markets" with "intense focus" in Q4 of 2012.

(Source: http://www.theverge....windows-phone-8)

At least we know that it's coming out somewhere sometime this year.

Alladaskill17

Anything on Windows Phone 7.8?

Manish

Anything on Windows Phone 7.8?

Nope. Probably hear about that from Microsoft, when they decide to show off WP8.

jakem1

Where did I even remotely imply it was?

:) You didn't but I was inferring that it doesn't bother me and if it does prove to be a problem then it's one for Microsoft and Nokia to worry about.

George P

I think they're going to show all at BUILD, I forget the exact date for it though atm. I also think they're doing so because phones should go on sale shortly after BUILD, so it's closer to the retail release of new WP8 hardware and thus will be fresher in peoples memories.

There's also a hands on for the Lumia 820 for those interested.

jakem1

It looks metallic in pictures. My bad I guess.

nokia_lumia_920_color_range_large_verge_medium_landscape.jpg

You're right, it does look metallic in those pictures and if you watch The Verge's hands on video you can see that it has the same glossy surface as the Lumia 900. That's a bit of a shame because I prefer the matte finish of the Lumia 800.

Chicane-UK

Really liking the look of the 920 :)

Would love to know about some UK pricing for it!

jakem1

Really liking the look of the 920 :)

Would love to know about some UK pricing for it!

My guess is somewhere between ?450 and ?500.

+LogicalApex

All I can say is I'm very amazed at Microsoft, not in a good way.

The only thing we know so far is that Windows Phone 8 still hasn't hit RTM and the rumors are now that it will RTM around Build later this year. Insane. This will kill Nokia's chance at really selling Lumia devices in 2012 and early 2013...

It is doubtful that these devices will hit US carriers anytime soon either as you're not going to get an RTM in late Nov. and shipping devices approved by carriers and in stores a few days later... Good bye Holiday Season 2012.

I think they're going to show all at BUILD, I forget the exact date for it though atm. I also think they're doing so because phones should go on sale shortly after BUILD, so it's closer to the retail release of new WP8 hardware and thus will be fresher in peoples memories.

There's also a hands on for the Lumia 820 for those interested.

Build is Oct 30-Nov 2...

jakem1

Here's a 1080p hands-on from Nokia Conversations with some great shots of the Lumia 920.

• Like 1
George P

I think the carriers are already testing hardware with a near final version of the OS. Probably a RC build. It shouldn't change much so I doubt they have to wait for it to RTM before they can test it. Heck, we know they're testing the new iPhone 5 already and they haven't even shown it, no way it makes it through all the FCC stuff and comes out so quick otherwise.

I think they're close to done, and we've found out about newer devices mostly because they've went though and passed certification processes, like for Bluetooth etc. Once they do tell us which carriers will get what and when that means they've already tested them and have signed deals to sell them. I'm sure AT&T has had the 920 for a bit and is already checking it out.

+LogicalApex

I think the carriers are already testing hardware with a near final version of the OS. Probably a RC build. It shouldn't change much so I doubt they have to wait for it to RTM before they can test it. Heck, we know they're testing the new iPhone 5 already and they haven't even shown it, no way it makes it through all the FCC stuff and comes out so quick otherwise.

I think they're close to done, and we've found out about newer devices mostly because they've went though and passed certification processes, like for Bluetooth etc. Once they do tell us which carriers will get what and when that means they've already tested them and have signed deals to sell them. I'm sure AT&T has had the 920 for a bit and is already checking it out.

US Carriers are notorious for their ridiculous testing requirements. They won't sign off on the OS until they do test the RTM build. There is a reason it takes forever to get even simple updates like the KB fix deployed in the US (which still hasn't happened for a lot of users). I'm sure they are working with carriers as well, but they won't get a sign off until the get the RTM.

The iPhone is a unique case and can't be judged the same way. When a carrier agrees to sell the iPhone they sign multi-year contracts with Apple to buy millions of units. So the carriers have a very vested interest to approve any and all Apple updates as fast as possible because they have to pay Apple either way! AT&T could delay the iPhone 5 by two months to test the RTM build and lose market share to Verizon while buying millions of useless iPhone 4s if they want... Microsoft nor Nokia have that same luxury treatment.

Calum

Here's a video with Joe Belfiore that I found interesting, especially as he stated that Windows Phone 8 fulfils the vision they started out with for the "Metro UI" (ha, yes, he calls it the "Metro UI"):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pc7JUtUISFE

Here's a video which shows some type of new video call interface (at 0:15). I'm interested to learn whether this is the Skype app, built-in Skype integration, or just a new phone call UI for Windows Phone 8:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3y0iar9QSqQ

+LogicalApex

Built in Skype was confirmed months ago. Actually, if you look at the video the Skype logo is in the call.