ComScore: Apple & Google Up, Microsoft Down in US smartphone MarketShar

which makes me wonder when they are going to abandon wp8. they did it with wm and wp7

Probably when WP9 gets released :rofl:

If Microsoft's mobile abandonment pattern holds up..

They did? I remember Windows Mobile being around for more than a decade.

WP7 is also going to see Conti ued support for a while as evidenced by the upcoming release of 7.8 and Nokia specifically stating they will make sure WP7 devices get fresh content. Sorry, can't help letting those pesky little facts get in the way. ;)

you can dream!! when wp7 came out wm was axed... they didnt axe wm so long since they didnt have a replacement OS.

now wp8 is out they will axe wp7... Nokia promises?? what a joke.

Microsoft needs to do a lot more if it wants to convince people that it's a serious contender. Android has been incredibly successful because the platform is very flexible - you have ultra-budget handsets all the way up to the bleeding-edge, tablets and more. And Apple has been successful because of its focus on the user experience and customer satisfaction. Microsoft has not done enough to distinguish itself in the market place.

For WP to succeed it needs to be decisively better than the competition, which it just hasn't managed yet. I'll certainly be checking out WP8 handsets when I'm upgrading my handset but at the moment Android is a better fit for my needs.

you can dream!! when wp7 came out wm was axed... they didnt axe wm so long since they didnt have a replacement OS.

now wp8 is out they will axe wp7... Nokia promises?? what a joke.

WM dev was ongoing, and the marketplace for WM was left open until just recently. Windows Phone came out in 2010...

Sorry, but once again I probably shouldn't post facts, since they just get in the way ;)

WM dev was ongoing, and the marketplace for WM was left open until just recently. Windows Phone came out in 2010...

Sorry, but once again I probably shouldn't post facts, since they just get in the way ;)

oh u saying that "its a fact" make it a fact??? :rofl: you ignorant!!!! laughable.

oh u saying that "its a fact" make it a fact??? :rofl: you ignorant!!!! laughable.

No, the fact that it actually happened that way makes it a fact...

Care to prove me wrong regarding WM dev being ongoing until recently, and the recent (last few months) shutdown of the WM marketplace?

Since you state that I'm ignorant & laughable...

which makes me wonder when they are going to abandon wp8. they did it with wm and wp7

Windows Mobile needed to go. It was old, old hardware, and didnt really have a future. So I dont care about Windows Mobile.

MS really screwed the pooch by releasing WP7 phones and then shortly after, stop supporting them and focus on new devices/WP8. What is funny that I constantly here that WP7 works great and doesnt need the hardware the competitors have. However, their current hardware cannot support WP8. I find that...funny. Unless there is some other reason that the current WP phones cannot handle WP8. But dont have time to look that up ATM.

Windows Mobile needed to go. It was old, old hardware, and didnt really have a future. So I dont care about Windows Mobile.

MS really screwed the pooch by releasing WP7 phones and then shortly after, stop supporting them and focus on new devices/WP8. What is funny that I constantly here that WP7 works great and doesnt need the hardware the competitors have. However, their current hardware cannot support WP8. I find that...funny. Unless there is some other reason that the current WP phones cannot handle WP8. But dont have time to look that up ATM.

Some of the newer features are not supported in hardware, such as the full device encryption which requires dedicated hardware.

Windows Phone 7 devices are not being abandoned, and this has been stated over and over again. However some people like to claim it as fact...while accusing others of not knowing their facts...

I do believe I'm exiting this conversation as it has exited reality.

Windows Phone was meant to revive Microsoft's welfare in the smartphone market. iOS and Android have continued to grow explosively, Microsoft have continued to lose marketshare. What exactly am I missing here?

But two years ago with didnt have what we do now. I think MS is betting on the tabs/PCs/phones sales to increase since it now be pretty much consistent on all devices. Whether or not that will happen, we will see. But cannot compare 2 years ago from now. Its not like Apple where they can release minor hardware/software changes and people will flock to the device. With MS, people tend to be more cautious and MS either does really well on their new products, or really bad.

Given that Windows Phone will not be installed onto tablets I don't really see the relevance. Nor do I see there being much chance of an explosion of tablet sales due to Windows 8, at the moment tablets still remain niche devices that are selling more slowly than ultrabooks and desktop PC's.

Windows Phone was meant to revive Microsoft's welfare in the smartphone market. iOS and Android have continued to grow explosively, Microsoft have continued to lose marketshare. What exactly am I missing here?

You're missing that Windows Phone didn't have the best carrier support until the Lumia 900 came around. Even with tons of other devices being EOL'd and only AT&T really doing any push they've managed to hold steady for a while. Now that all of the major carrier (minus Sprint) are going to start actually pushing Windows Phone it's going to make a difference.

A lot of the reason why Verizon for instance wasn't so gungho was that Windows Phone didn't have a proper LTE stack at first, and it also lacked a lot of features businesses care about. Windows Phone 8 has addressed these issues.

So a lot of companies that didn't want to go Windows Phone no longer have an excuse to not do so. What sells most phones is the in-store recommendation, which wasn't being done before.

AT&T's crappiness didn't seem to hold back the iPhone a great deal. In fact the iPhone still doesn't have LTE support and the carriers seem to be tripping over each other to ###### themselves to Apple. It seems to me that the carriers just recognised that Windows Phone was crap and lacked a lot of basic features.

AT&T's crappiness didn't seem to hold back the iPhone a great deal. In fact the iPhone still doesn't have LTE support and the carriers seem to be tripping over each other to ###### themselves to Apple. It seems to me that the carriers just recognised that Windows Phone was crap and lacked a lot of basic features.

LTE wasn't around when the first iPhone came out. AT&T signed contracts that covered a specific length of time that they had to promote the phone at certain levels, in exchange for being the only carrier to carry the iPhone for a specific timeframe.

Also what does in-store promotion have to do with how crappy the network is? I was talking about how little support that existed for Windows Phone prior to Nokia & Microsoft putting in the money and pushing to have the phone gain 'Hero' status.

Have you actually researched the support side of things like I have, or are you just guessing?

Think you may be surprised and I am betting WP will eat up more market share than people think. I thin BB will never gain to much traction tho. With Apple/Android already dominating and with WP8 coming out soon, next year will be to late for BB.

Wow suddenly I realize I am in 2010 again.

No, the fact that it actually happened that way makes it a fact...

Care to prove me wrong regarding WM dev being ongoing until recently, and the recent (last few months) shutdown of the WM marketplace?

Since you state that I'm ignorant & laughable...

yeah... when wp7 released they abandoned wm in few months. so when wp8 released they are about to abandon wp7.

and when wp9 released they will surely abandon wp8

iphone with just one carrier and only 3g(no 4g lte) sold like hot cake initially when it released... wp fans says it will sell well as usually trying to find some excuse with carriers choice... even after 1 year 10 months it dont seem to sell well..

will see what happens next... wp9 will be year of windows phone!! when wp9 released it will sell well /s

Given that Windows Phone will not be installed onto tablets I don't really see the relevance. Nor do I see there being much chance of an explosion of tablet sales due to Windows 8, at the moment tablets still remain niche devices that are selling more slowly than ultrabooks and desktop PC's.

Look, feel, integration, and more consistency between devices. Microsofts Tabs, Phones, and PCs will all have that metro interface which will appeal to some.

yeah... when wp7 released they abandoned wm in few months. so when wp8 released they are about to abandon wp7.

and when wp9 released they will surely abandon wp8

I asked for specific proof of this. I worked there so I know exactly how long support lasted. You are wanting to refute my first-hand experience, so please post your evidence.

Got it, you don't actually have any evidence so you are wanting to troll purely for the sake of trolling.

some dumb people dont understand even after showing proof...blinded by MS. so this is the only way.

some dumb people dont understand even after showing proof...blinded by MS. so this is the only way.

So the only way is to make claims without proof, even against someone who knows better due to first-hand experience working there?

Like I said, I have actual working knowledge of this, and you have failed to provide any evidence that states my first-hand knowledge is incorrect.

Lesson? No one should pay attention to what you're saying since it's obviously wrong.

I wonder at what point will Microsoft realize that Windows Phone is a failure and go the way of Zune.

This is great news for Nokia :rolleyes:

or you could see this as an opportunity for Wp8 and Nokia.The only way out is up.

Something the pro Microsoft crowd have been telling us for the last 2 years, yet their loss of WM customers still outweighs their gain in WP customers... apparently. I've seen nothing in WP8 that shows me Microsoft are suddenly onto the killer formula.

Microsoft's killer formula should have been building hardware abstraction layer and driver model that would let anyone run WP8 on most arm soc's and let people write their own drivers to support the rest.

heck, they dont even offer WP as a download for consumers :/

meanwhile, Android essentially became the windows of smartphone.