Gender based commericals

Okay now for many years now we have been seeing ads (in australia anyway) on womens tampon or padding products. and weve seen them pour heaps of liquid and do all sorts of fancy tricks with these womens hygene products.

However I gotta draw the line, when they start advertising a new "Silky smooth" tampon, that "Slides in and inserts more comfortably then any other tampon", I draw a line in the sand. I mean surely even women would agree you dont need to be advertising how easily you can 'get it up there'

I didnt think of myself as a conservative until I saw that ad.

Which brings me to another point, why, why in all these years, we have witnessed womens tampon and pad ads, have we oe I never once seen a condom ad. I mean if they can advetise tampons surely, condoms deserve just as much marketing right? I mean theres a massive variety of them around these days, but alas, there are no ads around informing us of the new glow in the dark condoms, or the new super lubricated condoms are there?

Is this some sort of double standard or what??

Edited by Osiris

ah okay, so you guys have them they are just not as frequent.

See I cannot for the life of me recall a single condom ad every being screened in Aus.

But I dont get how they arent advertised, I mean theyve changed so much in recent years, they go, they have textures, more lubricants, fragrances, tastes, etc etc, the list goes on, yet this doesnt warrant advetising and informing consumers??

Oh and IMPORTANTLY were trying to prevent HIV,etc and recommend and encourage teenagers etc, and all people to be more safe and take precautions

Yet what do we see, Ads depicting using femine products to keep the rain out, or ads telling us how easy to insert their new tampon is.

This doesnt make sense, is their other views to this? or is this a really strange advetising phenonomen were experiencing in Australia?

I mean surely even women would agree you dont need to be advertising how easily you can 'get it up there'

Have you actually ask anyone ? How comfortable it is may actually matter.

I do think its a relevant selling point for the product, and i'm not THAT bothered by it - i mean, women use it, and that's what they do with it... but it does seem a bit.. i dunno.. over the top...

As for condom ads... depending on what cable channels you watch in the US, you'll see alot of them. Some of them are just normal commercials... but some ofthe "Trojan Man" commercials are kinda racy... don't really have much problem with them though.

I hate car commericals, they are extremely boring and painful to watch! Whose with me?!

P.S. I know my comment had nothing to do with gender and/or tampons, but I have been holding this in for a long time and I want to explode.

I don't know it's just a commercial, don't let it get to you. That whole silky feel thing is an important/relevant selling point (I would know) :rolleyes: I do think they could've chosen better words though, it's kinda graphic. They could've just said "more comfortable than any other tampon" without the whole sliding in part. I don't think you can put condoms and tampons in the same category when it comes to a 'double standard' though. I mean, menstruation is something women have to deal with, sex isn't (by that I mean that you don't have to have sex if you don't want to in most cases)

Strange that you haven't seen any condom commercials...maybe that's just Australia.

Here in Canada I see a lot of condom ads all the time, not only on TV, in magazines, radio, on buses, trains, etc.

They are actually getting more pervasive.

I listen to Atlanta's 99X, and they love airing the Durex condom commercials - and there are several of them, pointing out the staying power and sensitivity of them.

At any rate, a condom is a condom - it's selling points are going to be harder to describe without use of risqu? language - making it much harder to sell on television, since it is a visual as well as aural media.

Thankyou for those whom had vailid points to contribute, it's intresting to see the different levels of commericalism across the world, I have asked quite a number of people in the last week, of varying ages, and locations, and there are rare condom commerical ads, via radio in the 2 major metropolotan cities, apart from that no one down here can ever recall an actual television commerical for it though.

In any event I wrote a letter to Ansell (Condom manufactuer) and Libra(Tampons) and will be intresting to see what their replies are. Thanks all.

I hate car commericals, they are extremely boring and painful to watch! Whose with me?!

P.S. I know my comment had nothing to do with gender and/or tampons, but I have been holding this in for a long time and I want to explode.

i'm with you! **** car commercials!! :crazy:

I hate car commericals, they are extremely boring and painful to watch!  Whose with me?!

i'm with you! **** car commercials!! :crazy:

I am glad someone agrees. I hate watching football for five minutes and then a car commerical comes on. If advertisers don't want us to be bored out of our minds, like with car commericals, then they should put those Coors Light twin commercials on all the time or the catfight in the fountain. :happy:

If advertisers don't want us to be bored out of our minds, like with car commericals, then they should put those Coors Light twin commercials on all the time or the catfight in the fountain. :happy:

beer good, cars bad. beer + cars bad. only beer is good. homer would agree.