Windows 8 Pro Media Center available?

I sent out three requests using three different emails over a period of 24 hours beginning Thursday. I got one back Friday night. :laugh:

BTW I just did some checking and here is what I found.

When you install Windows 8 Pro you use your 1st key: XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

When you do the MCE update it changes that key to: YYYYY-YYYYY-YYYYY-YYYYY-YYYYY

So it does change the key that the system uses so it would likely break any sort of VLK scenario.

How did you uncover the key? I did notice the last 5 characters in Action Center changing after doing the update.

Also assuming that my Windows drive crashes and I reinstall Windows 8, could I use that key instead to reactivate Windows 8 Pro with Media Center instead of using my existing key and then upgrading with the Media Center key (assuming it'll still activate beyond January 2013)?

It's simply not there. "Add Features" is not there. Only "Turn on or off". Add features is it's own CP with it's own icon. Not present in SA Pro RTM. Maybe tomorrow will be an update.

Just Windows 8 Pro. If there is not update tomorrow, I'll reinstall. But an MVP did say for Pro you would not be able to add features to RTM until 26th, but clearly some people can.

In Windows Update, in the bottom left corner under "See Also", the option for "Add features to Windows 8" should be present.

screen_20121028.png

Still haven't got the key I had sent to my Gmail account :laugh:

It came to my gmail account, but it took a few days.

@thomastmc

It is not. It is an issue with Windows 8 Pro VL. Features should be able to be added, but they cannot, as though it was Enterprise. Either this is an error on MS' part, or they have decided to neuter it.

Media Center is in Windows 7 Enterprise so it's baffling that MS would remove the ability to add it from all Volume editions.

How did you uncover the key? I did notice the last 5 characters in Action Center changing after doing the update.

Also assuming that my Windows drive crashes and I reinstall Windows 8, could I use that key instead to reactivate Windows 8 Pro with Media Center instead of using my existing key and then upgrading with the Media Center key (assuming it'll still activate beyond January 2013)?

I verified the last 5 matched my original key, did the update and verified the last 5 matched the new key.

I haven't tried a reinstall yet but the MCP key is a Compliance Checked Product key. So likely would require that you reinstall using your original key and then update using the MCP key.

The restriction of Jan 2013 is for obtaining the key, not for using it. :)

@thomastmc

It is not. It is an issue with Windows 8 Pro VL. Features should be able to be added, but they cannot, as though it was Enterprise. Either this is an error on MS' part, or they have decided to neuter it.

Media Center is in Windows 7 Enterprise so it's baffling that MS would remove the ability to add it from all Volume editions.

It was integrated in 7 Enterprise.

In 8 it requires a different license. Changing that license changes the system key and SKU. It would be difficult to track those changes for companies.

Employees could do that update and break the ability to stay activated via KMS/MAK.

I verified the last 5 matched my original key, did the update and verified the last 5 matched the new key.

I haven't tried a reinstall yet but the MCP key is a Compliance Checked Product key. So likely would require that you reinstall using your original key and then update using the MCP key.

The restriction of Jan 2013 is for obtaining the key, not for using it. :)

*slaps head* right, that key in Action Center matches the Media Center key.

Thanks for that bit about the MCP key. So long as it's usable in the future for future reinstalls, I don't mind re-entering it with the Windows 8 Pro key. (Y)