Windows 8 Is a Desktop Disaster

Oh, look... a comment that tries to self assure itself while bashing another by its supposed ignorance in the matter, I love it, there, I give you a like to show how much I care about your comment and whatever you think that I may know.

So rather than address the statement you choose to be sarcastic, and even troll in your system specs area. Good call.

So rather than address the statement you choose to be sarcastic, and even troll in your system specs area. Good call.

My specs are 100% true O_O there is even a photo of it on the "show your workstations" post...

My specs are 100% true O_O there is even a photo of it on the "show your workstations" post...

Read the part on the side uner your Username, Posts, Joined, & Location. The part that says OS where it states (With Start Menu Start8, otherwise is UNUSABLE).

If you think the Start Screen is unusable then evidently so is the Start Menu...which means you find Windows unusable...that or you're trolling there.

Read the part on the side uner your Username, Posts, Joined, & Location. The part that says OS where it states (With Start Menu Start8, otherwise is UNUSABLE).

If you think the Start Screen is unusable then evidently so is the Start Menu...which means you find Windows unusable...that or you're trolling there.

The post that I made sarcasm of mentioned actually my gadgets, located in my signature, I never knew that the description given below my avatar were my specs... no, it's not trolling, it's my very own personal opinion about how and what OS use. Trolling? since when descriptions count as trolling? god's sake...

The post that I made sarcasm of mentioned actually my gadgets, located in my signature, I never knew that the description given below my avatar were my specs... no, it's not trolling, it's my very own personal opinion about how and what OS use. Trolling? since when descriptions count as trolling? god's sake...

The OS you use is part of the system specs...

Stating that something is unusable is not an opinion, but a statement of fact. It's very usable...you just don't like it.

Not liking it, or not liking the way it's meant to be used? That's definitely an opinion, and one I wouldn't fight against since personal preference is just that.

However calling it unusable is you intentionally going out of your way to state something that isn't true to provoke a reaction...

Someone wants to call Win8 a desktop disaster because in their opinion it's hard to use? Cool, that's their opinion.

Someone calling it unusable? Not an opinion and completely false.

• Like 2

Stating that something is unusable is not an opinion, but a statement of fact. It's very usable...you just don't like it.

Not liking it, or not liking the way it's meant to be used? That's definitely an opinion, and one I wouldn't fight against since personal preference is just that.

However calling it unusable is you intentionally going out of your way to state something that isn't true to provoke a reaction...

Someone wants to call Win8 a desktop disaster because in their opinion it's hard to use? Cool, that's their opinion.

Yep - the words 'I find it' replaced with 'it is' make all the difference.

'I find it hard to use' vs 'it is hard to use'... people on the interwebs really need to learn the difference.

• Like 2

The OS you use is part of the system specs...

Someone calling it unusable? Not an opinion and completely false.

I'm seriously not changing my description just because some people see it as trolling, rather... Deal with it.

I'm seriously not changing my description just because some people see it as trolling, rather... Deal with it.

So basically you admit it. Ok...gotta admit I respect your ability to do that.

hey maybe some of you guys havent realized it yet, but your beloved desktop interface is now a second class citizen. yes its true,most people don't give a **** about a desktop,so either adapt to the new interface,or go use something else. do we really need to hear the same rehashed drivel? im sure Microsoft cares more that they got 4 million upgrades in 4 days than a few desktop crusaders on forums who claim they are tech gurus but cant figure out where the shutdown button is when a 3 year old can do it.

they are tech gurus but cant figure out where the shutdown button is when a 3 year old can do it.

Video or it didn't happen. By video I mean a 3 year old finding the windows 8 shut down button first try.

Video or it didn't happen. By video I mean a 3 year old finding the windows 8 shut down button first try.

Huh. Almost every single 3 year old I've known in the last decade or so has known what a power button is, and how to hit them when I don't want them to...or did people forget the power button still exists?

Huh. Almost every single 3 year old I've known in the last decade or so has known what a power button is, and how to hit them when I don't want them to...or did people forget the power button still exists?

Now lets say they want to restart without turning off and back on.

It took me a bit to figure that out, although most three years olds are probably more savvy than I am.

;) Yup lol, besides, I never turn my PC off, bad for components so they say? who knows?, but mine is on 24/7, and every 3 year old knows that.

Huh. I could have swore I was using a non touch desktop with Win8.

I must be hallucinating.

Impossible. According to some of the "experts" around here, it's physically impossible to be productive in any way on Windows 8. We should just all heed their advice and downgrade. I mean, it's obviously beyond our comprehension to learn something like how Modern UI works. The geniuses around here can't seem to figure it out, how are WE ever going to manage?

Well, I use it exclusively in desktop mode, with classic shell so I end up with an environment much like win7... although from my experience it seems my robust, more stable than 7.... at least in terms of bsods... which seemed to all but disappear with 8. 8 also seems "snappier" overall than 7. Long term... guess we'll see.

Oh yea... before I forget... metro sucks..... :woot: :woot: :woot: :rolleyes:

?Windows 8 is, frankly, more of a consumer platform than it is a business platform, so it?s not something that makes any sense from a business perspective at this juncture. There is really no additional business functionality that Windows 8 gives you that I see,?

- Doug Johnson, head of risk management policy at the American Bankers Association

It is not impossible to be productive with Windows 8. Maybe you are misunderstanding the people with the frustration issues. You have to remember, not everyone likes change and not everyone is tech saavy. Most home users don't even know what a mouse it. They just know it moves the arrow and helps them click on things in Windows. Home users have all the time in the world to get used to Windows 8's new interface, but corporate people do not. On a corporate environment, using Windows 8 would be a bit of a headache because they would have to train people on how to navigate through the new UI. The new UI is not as user friendly as the old UI on Windows 7. Sorry, but its the truth.

On a corporate environment, things need to be fast and easy and Windows 8 is not something that I see corporations implementing on their systems any time soon. They are simply not going to adopt it.

I have always said it and I will say it again: Windows 8 is a great tablet OS, but not a great desktop OS.

Most Companies Don?t Plan an Early Switch to Windows 8

Source: http://mashable.com/2012/10/22/corporate-customers-windows-8/

Most companies don?t plan to switch to Windows 8 immediately after its release, and some may never make the switch, Reuters reports.

The new operating system from Microsoft, which hits the market on Oct. 26, has numerous touch-friendly features which should make it equally as interesting to tablet owners as it is to PC owners. Many business owners, however, think Windows 8 is a consumer-oriented product which offers few new features to businesses.

?Windows 8 is, frankly, more of a consumer platform than it is a business platform, so it?s not something that makes any sense from a business perspective at this juncture. There is really no additional business functionality that Windows 8 gives you that I see,? Doug Johnson, head of risk management policy at the American Bankers Association, told Reuters.

Gartner analyst Michael Silver assesses the vast majority of businesses think the same. ?We believe 90 percent of large organizations will not deploy Windows 8 broadly, and at its peak, we expect about 20 percent of PCs in large organizations will run Windows 8,? he said.

This is nothing new, as businesses are traditionally slower than regular users when it comes to adoption of new software. But the 20 percent figure sounds grim indeed ? for comparison, in July 2012, more than 50 percent of enterprise desktops were running Windows 7.

As Reuters notes, however, Microsoft gets paid regardless of which version of Windows its business customers use. With that in mind, the company?s primary goal, even in 2013 an onwards, will be to motivate companies to migrate from the still dominating Windows XP ? even if it means companies would have to downgrade new PCs to run on Windows 7 instead of Windows 8.

+2

Trouble is, those who disagree with those who are proclaiming Windows 8 as a wonderful piece of work, are somehow labelled as 'haters', 'trolls' and/or whining babies, just because we don't agree with their point of view.

If you like Windows 8, good, then use it. I don't, so I wont use it, which is also good.

(Y) :yes:

?Windows 8 is, frankly, more of a consumer platform than it is a business platform, so it?s not something that makes any sense from a business perspective at this juncture. There is really no additional business functionality that Windows 8 gives you that I see,?

- Doug Johnson, head of risk management policy at the American Bankers Association

A little too black & white I would say. The recent trends around cosumerisation of IT in business suggest that the lines between consumer and business are a lot more blurred than that. There is little business value in the iOS compared to platforms like BlackBerry Enterprise but iOS is the quickest growing OS in the mobile space for corporate use. Lastly, we are talking about someone in the finance industry, an industry notorious for dragging their feet in the adoption of newer technologies.

+2

Trouble is, those who disagree with those who are proclaiming Windows 8 as a wonderful piece of work, are somehow labelled as 'haters', 'trolls' and/or whining babies, just because we don't agree with their point of view.

If you like Windows 8, good, then use it. I don't, so I wont use it, which is also good.

Ok - but then you have to stop stating poor usability as a fact, which it isn't, and an opinion which it is. Likewise those that like it need to stop stating good usability as a fact, which it isn't, and an opinion which it is.

Then maybe we can all get along....

All they can do is bitch about non issues, they have no valid argument against it other than they think it's cool to hate it. It has been proven time and time again that it does nothing but increase productivity and make it easier for everyone to use their computer.

All they can do is bitch about non issues, they have no valid argument against it other than they think it's cool to hate it. It has been proven time and time again that it does nothing but increase productivity and make it easier for everyone to use their computer.

Don't make ridiculous statements like this with nothing to back it up.

• Like 1

I think MS added some great stuff to the desktop in Windows 8, the Task Manager, quick links for administrators, Explorers new features..

But then they go and break the background things that worked so well. Im all for improvements to the start menu, I like it full page, but instead of building on the ease of use of the old menu, MS have taken every item on you start menu and thrown it across the screen, no expandable folders - its all just there - the whole lot of it - like it or not.

MS needs to keep working on the new start page, make it more slick, work more on tagging files and options so I can use more key words to get around and its customisable. Im keeping Win 8 but Ive got more third party apps like start8 on it than I care to.

The one thing that is annoying is that we have to provide all this basic feedback. What on earth are the guys who develop Windows being paid?

Need to shut down your computer? Try the power button on your computer. Now was that hard or confusing for anyone?

Sorry, I know I'm kind of making light of it but honestly, it's simple.