Windows 8 Is a Desktop Disaster

I have such a great time switching from Metro to Desktop! I just can't understand people who say that Metro is an epic fail on desktops.

I find it bizarre that anyone could suggest they have a "great time" switching between Metro and the desktop. That's like saying you have a "great time" taking out the recycling or you have a "great time" towel drying your hair after a shower - there's nothing wrong with those activities but they certainly don't warrant such an emotional response.

As for the Start Screen, I think it's an improvement to the Start Menu (I was never a fan of the Vista-era Start Menu) but it introduces some significant usability issues - moving the shut down / restart functionality to the Charm bar being one of them. Others include the inability to rename applications, the inability to change shortcut icons, the inability to access properties for shortcuts, backgrounds that clash with labels, the awkwardness and unintuitive method of zooming out with mouse (Ctrl-Wheel or click the tiny '-' icon), the inability to change user via the user tile, the screen going blank when you side-snap a Metro app, the wasted space around tiles for desktop apps, the inability to move multiple tiles, etc.

It is arrogant for people to dismiss criticism of the Start Screen as people refusing to adapt. The development of Windows 8 seemed very rushed, with considerable changes being made after the Release Preview (something not typically seen). Microsoft's design decisions came across as very reactionary (the hot-corners, the mini tutorial, the change of the user theme, the way Metro apps operate with multiple monitors, etc). The last point is a particularly good example. Open a Metro app on a monitor, then snap it to the side - you end up with the main screen blank and the side-snapped apps; then launch the Start Screen on another monitor and the app disappears from the original monitor and is hidden on the second monitor, only appearing once you exit the Start Screen. Multi-monitor support was thrown together at the last minute and it's completely unusable, unintuitive and fundamentally broken.

I find it bizarre that anyone could suggest they have a "great time" switching between Metro and the desktop. That's like saying you have a "great time" taking out the recycling or you have a "great time" towel drying your hair after a shower - there's nothing wrong with those activities but they certainly don't warrant such an emotional response.

As for the Start Screen, I think it's an improvement to the Start Menu (I was never a fan of the Vista-era Start Menu) but it introduces some significant usability issues - moving the shut down / restart functionality to the Charm bar being one of them. Others include the inability to rename applications, the inability to change shortcut icons, the inability to access properties for shortcuts, backgrounds that clash with labels, the awkwardness and unintuitive method of zooming out with mouse (Ctrl-Wheel or click the tiny '-' icon), the inability to change user via the user tile, the screen going blank when you side-snap a Metro app, the wasted space around tiles for desktop apps, the inability to move multiple tiles, etc.

It is arrogant for people to dismiss criticism of the Start Screen as people refusing to adapt. The development of Windows 8 seemed very rushed, with considerable changes being made after the Release Preview (something not typically seen). Microsoft's design decisions came across as very reactionary (the hot-corners, the mini tutorial, the change of the user theme, the way Metro apps operate with multiple monitors, etc). The last point is a particularly good example. Open a Metro app on a monitor, then snap it to the side - you end up with the main screen blank and the side-snapped apps; then launch the Start Screen on another monitor and the app disappears from the original monitor and is hidden on the second monitor, only appearing once you exit the Start Screen. Multi-monitor support was thrown together at the last minute and it's completely unusable, unintuitive and fundamentally broken.

If my trash can is styled after a yellow Ferrari, I assure you I'll have emotional response when taking out the garbage, darling.

As for the other part, in my lonely and tiny opinion, the changes in Start Screen in having to use the charm bar and going over your screen with the mouse are not a usability problem -- and I'll stress it: IN MY OPINION.

Anyway, discussing is pointless. If you're not impressed with the way Windows 8 is designed and shipped, Apple's arms are WIDE OPEN to receive a new OSX adept. Linux is good, too.

If you're not impressed with the way Windows 8 is designed and shipped, Apple's arms are WIDE OPEN to receive a new OSX adept. Linux is good, too.

Just because I dislike aspects of Windows 8 does not mean I don't think it's a decent operating system overall - otherwise I wouldn't have upgraded. More importantly, I couldn't switch over to OSX or Linux without losing access to the majority of the 550+ games I have on Steam - a trade-off I'm simply not willing to make at this point.

I can't take comments seriously that sound like they were written by a two year old. You're an adult (hopefully). Act like one.

man this is the stupidest post ever and WHY is it that no one here can press the windows KEY that brings u to the desktop

just pin the fn program to the desktop it isn't fn hard but that this 2 hard for u go back to fn 7 stop ur bitching because once website hates 8 we have this place going nuts over nutting at all u want a start install a start and stop ur fn complaining about 8 please

if 8 doesn't speed up your PC at all go back to 7

With decent metro apps, Windows will be better than OSX. This is coming from someone who owns only apple computers.

That said... they aren't there yet. As such, the start screen is still sort of tacked on. That said, OSX still has dashboard tacked on (never looked at it, except by accident), and multi-monitor support on both is about equally broken.

Beyond all this though, Windows 8 boots up insanely fast on my Macbook, and runs flawlessly. It's actually easier now, with Mountain Lion and W8 to reboot into which ever operating system I want than running a VM.

• Like 2

I can't take comments seriously that sound like they were written by a two year old. You're an adult (hopefully). Act like one.

who are you talking to exactly or is that meant for everyone... if so then , for once, we agree haha :p

You right click all the time at various points in the OS. You have to right click invoke hidden menus in Metro apps. The start screen is no different. It doesn't take a rocket scientist...

Most people I know don't ever use right-click in Win7 or anything before.

man this is the stupidest post ever and WHY is it that no one here can press the windows KEY that brings u to the desktop

just pin the fn program to the desktop it isn't fn hard but that this 2 hard for u go back to fn 7 stop ur bitching because once website hates 8 we have this place going nuts over nutting at all u want a start install a start and stop ur fn complaining about 8 please

if 8 doesn't speed up your PC at all go back to 7

Maybe they can't be bothered to learn it, just like you can't be bothered to add periods and commas to your sentences so they actually make sense.

With decent metro apps, Windows will be better than OSX. This is coming from someone who owns only apple computers.

That said... they aren't there yet.

I agree. I like 8 but the apps just isn't here yet.

Maybe they can't be bothered to learn it, just like you can't be bothered to add periods and commas to your sentences so they actually make sense.

Ya I think I actually went slightly blind reading it haha ...

Just because I dislike aspects of Windows 8 does not mean I don't think it's a decent operating system overall - otherwise I wouldn't have upgraded. More importantly, I couldn't switch over to OSX or Linux without losing access to the majority of the 550+ games I have on Steam - a trade-off I'm simply not willing to make at this point.

a lot of people on here seem too 0_o

there are way too many people complaining just because the start menu is full screen now, and saying they won't touch windows 8 and will push other people away as well (this last point really ****es me off because they should let other people decide if they like it themselves)

anyway back to what i was saying, i find it sad that so many people are complaining and saying they won't use it when it's so easy to install a start menu that's just like 7s. there are so many options for it now, and most of them allow you to bypass the start screen as well. Start8 is my favorite option but there are many good free ones as well

Smart move! ;)

I installed the Win8 RTM a few days ago, I find it looks subtly nicer and performs subtly nicer than the Release Preview.

I have been using Win8 as my primary OS since the Consumer Preview, the only thing that I'm struggling to get used to with a mouse is the close gesture for metro apps. I don't use many of them currently so it's not a huge issue.

The Start screen is a huge improvement over the start menu for those who like uncluttered Desktops, it's out of site until you press the Windows key. The number of apps that have appeared in the RTM version is quite good, only tablet/phone apps I don't have replacements for are Facebook and my Netbanking.

There are several Metro apps that are better to use than the equivalent website, i.e. the Dell store app.

I wasn't impressed with the Start Screen when I first used the Developer Preview but I instantly noticed the potential of it, and of Live Tiles. Now the RTM version is out I will stick with it, when I use Windows 7 now it feels like something is missing.. it is a smidge slower and not as smooth. I have well and truly moved on from Windows 7 now.

Personaly I'm using it on my MacBook Pro Retina + desktop (i7 4.5GHz + 12Gb RAM, etc.) and I find the desktop part to be quite enjoyable, fast, slick and beautiful in general.

I still think "Metro" is useless on a desktop/laptop and I'm not using it at all (Thanx Start8), but I love the new desktop enhancements.

It's a grower! I didn't like it at first. I think it's fantastic now. I'd get a touch mouse too if they didn't cost the equivalent of a small country.

Once you get used to it, it just flows much better. I upgraded to windows 8 pro and very glad i did

I just installed Start8 by Stardock. Essentially the app reverse the process. I now how a normal operating system with the perk of looking at the tiles when I want. I highly recommend it and it is going for $4.99 if you buy it now.

I just installed Start8 by Stardock. Essentially the app reverse the process. I now how a normal operating system with the perk of looking at the tiles when I want. I highly recommend it and it is going for $4.99 if you buy it now.

I agree. Start8 is great.

I have been using Win8 as my primary OS since the Consumer Preview, the only thing that I'm struggling to get used to with a mouse is the close gesture for metro apps. I don't use many of them currently so it's not a huge issue.

Why are you even concerning yourself with manually closing metro apps? They're designed to tombstone themselves when not in the foreground, so they use almost no resources. Just leave it in the background where it should be, then when you want that app again it launches much more quickly than opening it from scratch, and at the same point that you left it.

Like everything... I refuse to accept someone else opinion as fact. I used the Developer preview, the consumer preview, and now the final release and I love Windows 8. Looking forward to seeing it's integration with WP8 and xbox. People should actually try things and give them a month to get accustomed. If you still hate it, then you can move on and complain about it.

• Like 2

I actually enjoy 8 quite a bit, didn't have any issues getting used to the new start screen or figuring out how to pin apps to where I want them. Now with that being said, I really dislike the start screen just from an aesthetics point of view. I really hate the look of tiles, same reason I dislike WP8. But it won't stop me from using a newer, faster OS.

Lol people are spending money to get their beloved Start menu back? *facepalm*

Modern UI isn't THAT bad. It's called learning something new, but most of the detractors act like 5 years olds and go "WELL I DON'T WANNA, HMPH!".

• Like 2