Nexus 4 sells out in less than 1hour in UK

Well, I've just set up a bash script to send me a gtalk message as soon as the phone is in stock again :laugh: I certainly don't feel like polling the web myself.

I was subscribed to the mail notifications for the 16GB Nexus4 but this morning I only got one mail about the 8GB one when the 16GB phone was sold out already.

Well, I've just set up a bash script to send me a gtalk message as soon as the phone is in stock again :laugh: I certainly don't feel like polling the web myself.

I was subscribed to the mail notifications for the 16GB Nexus4 but this morning I only got one mail about the 8GB one when the 16GB phone was sold out already.

I had put myself on the notifications and hadn't gotten anything so I had no idea when it actually started.

...or just wait for Google's mail notification...

That system completely and utterly failed. I was on the page when the sale went live around 08:07, and I had not received the email. By 08:25 all the UK stock had been sold out, and then after 08:30 I got an email taunting me to "come get it". Honestly, this was a complete and utter shambles from Google. There is absolutely no reason why they shouldn't have at least a pre-order system up and running now.

I really did expect better of Google.

• Like 1

That system completely and utterly failed. I was on the page when the sale went live around 08:07, and I had not received the email. By 08:25 all the UK stock had been sold out, and then after 08:30 I got an email taunting me to "come get it". Honestly, this was a complete and utter shambles from Google. There is absolutely no reason why they shouldn't have at least a pre-order system up and running now.

I really did expect better of Google.

Agreed. Although I got my order through but the epic fail of both play store website and google wallet just infuriated me.

due to glitching, people were sitting in front of their computers for hours.... hence... "the line up" lol

Yeah which is exactly the same as people camping out in the cold days earlier?

You don't have a point, people refreshing a website once a phone goes on sale trying to buy it isn't the same as going outside an Apple store with camping gear DAYS EARLY just to get an iPhone, literally or figuratively.

Not sure why people are comparing the phone to the Galaxy S3. That it's better in some aspects is a miracle when it costs half the price. You can't expect it to completely beat the S3 in every way when it costs half the price. The Nexus 4 is a top end phone with a mid range price bracket. Looks really good.

You don't have a point, people refreshing a website once a phone goes on sale trying to buy it isn't the same as going outside an Apple store with camping gear DAYS EARLY just to get an iPhone, literally or figuratively.

ok... whoooshh....

Please do explain your point then, I am clearly too stupid to understand your nonsense.

what do both phones have in common? demand... what happens when something is in extreme demand? The "got-to-have-it-at-any-cost" mentality is not limited to iPhone fans like most Android fans claim. Whether its line ups that take hours in front of a store, or sitting on a computer for hours pressing "refresh" over and over, its the same thing...

Android fans extremely criticize people that like iPhone simply because they like the product. Android fans call them isheep but yet at the same time, the same crowd (a bit less apparent though) is doing the exact same thing they are crying about. hence the "hypocrite" statement.

I don't know if i can explain it any more simpler then that. Probably could but i am not a very good writer. This point seems super important to you... how come?

what do both phones have in common? demand... what happens when something is in extreme demand? The "got-to-have-it-at-any-cost" mentality is not limited to iPhone fans like most Android fans claim. Whether its line ups that take hours in front of a store, or sitting on a computer for hours pressing "refresh" over and over, its the same thing...

Android fans extremely criticize people that like iPhone simply because they like the product. Android fans call them isheep but yet at the same time, the same crowd (a bit less apparent though) is doing the exact same thing they are crying about. hence the "hypocrite" statement.

I don't know if i can explain it any more simpler then that. Probably could but i am not a very good writer. This point seems super important to you... how come?

The mentality is different though, people queue up days before the next shiny iThing is released when they could have sat at home and bought it online. The Nexus 4 sold out in less than an hour so people didn't sit for hours refreshing, they tried to buy a cheap phone that has specs that rival phones twice the cost of it.

They aren't even remotely the same situation.

I'm not an Android 'fan' either, I go where I can get the best phone for my money, I currently use a Lumia, I will buy a Nexus 4 when they come back in stock because it has Galaxy S3 rivaling/beating features for half the cost.

The mentality is different though, people queue up days before the next shiny iThing is released when they could have sat at home and bought it online. The Nexus 4 sold out in less than an hour so people didn't sit for hours refreshing, they tried to buy a cheap phone that has specs that rival phones twice the cost of it.

They aren't even remotely the same situation.

i would be willing to bet the family farm, they if Google had stores selling them in a box just like apple, you would have seen the exact same thing as you do with iphone releases... and yes, the mentality is 100% exactly the same. Android Boys just don't want to be in-that-crowd so they deny it all they can ;) (kind like someone is doing at this very moment)

Wrong, the Galaxy S3 which is currently the more desirable phone than the iPhone 5 to all the non iSheep didn't have hundreds of people camping outside phone shops days before the phone was released, they ordered one online, sat back in the comfort and warmth of their own home and waited for it to arrive in the post.

Also what part of "I'm not an Android 'fan'" was hard to understand, I have no allegiance to any company, if Apple brought out a phone that cost half as much as the best phone on the market with same or better specs I would probably buy that phone.

• Like 1

i would be willing to bet the family farm, they if Google had stores selling them in a box just like apple, you would have seen the exact same thing as you do with iphone releases... and yes, the mentality is 100% exactly the same. Android Boys just don't want to be in-that-crowd so they deny it all they can ;) (kind like someone is doing at this very moment)

Aww..... you got us! Yes That's exactly the mentality! Good job making yourself sounds very mature and important!

Am fairly interested in this handset but couldn't give two hoots about being "one of the first" - happy to wait until it becomes widely available.

Aww..... you got us! Yes That's exactly the mentality! Good job making yourself sounds very mature and important!

not all, same goes for people that own iphones...

Wrong, the Galaxy S3 which is currently the more desirable phone than the iPhone 5 to all the non iSheep didn't have hundreds of people camping outside phone shops days before the phone was released, they ordered one online, sat back in the comfort and warmth of their own home and waited for it to arrive in the post.

Also what part of "I'm not an Android 'fan'" was hard to understand, I have no allegiance to any company, if Apple brought out a phone that cost half as much as the best phone on the market with same or better specs I would probably buy that phone.

mass availability helps, I guess you are not one of them just as I am not one of them. I would still bet the farm though.

I had Android phones for three years, including the S3, but bought an iPhone 5 and the gave the S3 to my fianc?e.

Reasons: -

1. Battery life on the iPhone is so good I don't have to faff around with settings. I just leave bluetooth and WiFi on all the time with no massive hit to battery life. No more messing around with NFC tags and Tasker trying to make the switching of settings on/off easier!

2. iTunes store on the iPhone (lack of Google Music in the UK, which has now been rectified, is one of the reasons I switched.)

3. Wanted something that would sync with my iPad and would let me talk to the mrs on her iPad.

4. Connects to the bluetooth in my car every time without me even taking it out of my pocket. My S3 was hit and miss. Sometimes I had to reboot the phone to get it to connect.

Guess it makes me an iSheep that the iPhone suits me better even though I've used Android extensively and used both of the phones in question. :rolleyes: