AdTrap aims to block all internet advertising

Innocent looking box promises to cut Web ads off at the knees

adtrp087da342rfs-thumb-550xauto-105097.jpg

Most of us are bombarded by advertisements in one form or another throughout the day. While there?s not a lot we can do about the ads in the subway, or placed up on billboards, the internet is another matter. AdTrap is a new low-power, zero configuration device which promises to banish adverts from computers, tablets, and anything else connected to the local network.

The first question which arises when considering a hardware box like AdTrap is whether or not it can really improve on the free software-based solutions which are available on every major computer internet browser. In answer to this, AdTrap?s creators point out that their device works not only with full-sized PCs, but everything else connected to your home internet, such as Apple devices running iOS 6 ? and without the need of third-party apps or jailbreaking.

In addition to blocking web browser ads, AdTrap is also reported to remove ads from streaming devices like Apple TV and Google TV. A configurable ?whitelist? is offered too, so that users can allow adverts on websites of their choice.

The current AdTrap prototype is based around an Atmel ARM CPU, which sports 128 MB RAM, 256 MB Flash storage (upgradeable with an SD card), and an open-source Linux firmware which is said to be easily tweaked. As far as connectivity is concerned, the AdTrap packs two ethernet ports, two CAN buses, a USB port, an SD card slot, and a serial port.

The Palo Alto, California-based team of hackers behind AdTrap have turned to Kickstarter in an effort to raise funds to bring the device to market, and to get your hands on a unit, a pledge of US$125 or more is required.

The video below features the team's pitch.

http://www.gizmag.co...ertising/24973/

I had this idea a while ago and expected it would probably sell well,

I'd probably buy one to try it out if they're cheap enough, although DD-WRT can do pretty much the same thing

Glad to hear there are a couple intelligent people living in your house then.

what do you mean, intelligent for using IE, or me for not using IE?

not really sure i would use something like this. the software option might not hit every device on your network however, it is free.

Things I have notice from the video:

Yahoo 2006 image had two ads but only one was marked as an ad with a green dot.

Yahoo 2012 images had two ads but had 3 green dots. One was over Yahoo's news feed.

At 2:50 it did remove the side ads from YouTube but they didn't need to have the ad free version in Large player mode vs. Small player mode in the ad version to make it look better.

ah no big deal. If it works then good for some.