Do you print your photos?

Draconian Guppy

IF you do or don't state your reason. I think i've a couple of people here that do ( Sanctified for example)

I remember as a kid, my uncle used to carry a heap load of printed photographs in family reunions, I feel photo sharing has gotten a bit frivolous in that sense with online sharing.

I usually don't... But i'm trying to start a "scrapbook" with "significant" photos.

Mainer82

I do. Most of the time we go throgh www.mpix.com; they are our printing vendor for our website.

cacoe

Periodically yes, we print out the best pictures taken since the last time for display around the house and for giving to family.

+jamesyfx

I print photos that I think will look particularly vibrant on glossy paper. But most of them will never see the light of day. They will stay digital forever. :p

Rohdekill

I don't see the point in wasting paper/ink on something I can simply view on any screen.

Draconian Guppy

I print photos that I think will look particularly vibrant on glossy paper. But most of them will never see the light of day. They will stay digital forever. :p

Dumb arse printers were I live have only "regular" glossy, if I want the "extra" glossy I have to bring it myself (which turns out to be expensive).

I don't see the point in wasting paper/ink on something I can simply view on any screen.

To each is own :p

crazzy88ss

not any more. I have a few printed/framed on the walls at home.

• 1 month later...
moloko

I have a Canon 9000 mk2 that I do prints at home or for events but for other clients in studio, i outsource.

Argote

I only print photos I want to hang around the house (which are few and far between)

cork1958

Same here.

I do save most pics to flash drive, but not about to waste ink on frivolous pics!!

Really can't even remember the last time I printed ANYTHING!!

Stoffel

I only print photos I want to hang around the house (which are few and far between)

Same here, we recently bought some nice frames, so we printed some pictures to fill those up and hang around the house.

The rest stays digital.

• 3 weeks later...
moloko

Now i print my own. I just got a Canon 9000 Mark2. Prices are about the same as Costco a bit more maybe but much better paper.

soumyasch

I print them only when I frame them. Which is about one or two a year.

abysal

I started to print the ones I like, starting last year.

Growled

My wife still prints. She loves to keep scrapbooks when we do things, so she prints off the best pictures and then puts them in her scrapbook. She does some nice work.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Abhay V
      Google announces new editor features for Google Photos, rolling out now
      by Abhay Venkatesh

Google held its 'Launch Night In' hardware event today, where it announced a bunch of products, including the Pixel 5 and the Pixel 4a 5G. During the event, the company also showed off a few improvements coming to Google Photos’ image editor feature, which the company has now detailed in a separate blog post.

The first in the list of features include improvements to suggestions that help users fix brightness or tilt in pictures. The app can now provide suggestions based on what is in the image right from a dedicated tab, using machine learning. These include the ability to pop just the subject’s colors or enhance the overall picture with color corrections. The firm says that it will add more Pixel-exclusive features for improving portraits, landscapes, and more in the future.

For those that love making manual changes and edits to their photos, the search giant is providing granular options for the editor, in addition to the usual brightness, color temperature, highlights settings, and more. These options are placed in a carousel at the bottom which can be tapped on individually.

Another significant addition being made to the editor is the Portrait Light feature that the firm showed off at its event. The feature helps tweak and adjust the lighting on portraits and even allows for moving around the light source, helping fix harsh shadows or uneven lighting on faces. It also works on photos not shot using portrait mode. The feature is currently exclusive to the Pixel 4a 5G and the Pixel 5, with support for more Pixel devices slated to be added in the future.

The Google Photos app update is starting to roll out today to all Android users. However, as mentioned earlier, the Portrait Light feature will only be available to users of the latest Pixel devices.

• By Abhay V
      Samsung's motion photos are reportedly not backing up properly to Google Photos
      by Abhay Venkatesh

Samsung began rolling out One UI 2.5 to a bunch of its flagships in the last few months, bringing a host of features such as support for gesture navigation with third-party launchers, Pro video mode, wireless DeX, and more. A few smaller, yet nifty features also were added such as the ability to record audio along with a short video in ‘Motion photos’, Samsung’s live photo offering that captures a brief clip before clicking a picture.

However, ever since the updated motion photos feature began being made available, users have begun reporting on Reddit that Google Photos no longer uploads the “video portion” of the photo since only the still image backups are being performed. It is not clear if this decision is one from Google, or if something was changed in the South Korean giant’s software that prevents these images from being uploaded as-is.

Some responses on Reddit suggest that the reason for this change could be due to Photos only accepting live images in the JPG format and that the latest feature from Samsung records these images in the more efficient HEIC format. However, there are no official responses from either company to confirm or deny this.

Reports have also been spotted on Google’s support forums, suggesting that more users are beginning to notice their backups not containing the motion photos as their devices get updated and they capture these images. It will be interesting to see which of these companies address this issue – or at least acknowledge it – and if there will be a solution any time soon.

Source: Reddit (1)(2), Google Forums via Android Police

• By Abhay V
      Google Nest and Chromecast displays to soon add date and location to Photos slideshow
      by Abhay Venkatesh

Google Nest displays and Chromecast screens that have Photos slideshows enabled will soon begin showing the date and location of users’ pictures in the slideshow. The firm is reportedly emailing customers to notify them of the change, which is slated to happen starting September 15.

The addition of the date of a picture on the display’s screens is not a new one, since reports from last year suggested that users began seeing dates at the bottom right section for some images. However, with the announcement, the firm is likely expanding the feature to all Nest displays and Chromecast enabled screens to include location information. The email adds that the data will be taken from “photos that have embedded date or location information”. This means that the information is pulled from a picture’s metadata of EXIF information, and not from users’ location data.

Additionally, users can choose to turn off the feature by choosing to hide the “Personal photo data” option from settings, allowing the displays to only serve images without any information. Since the feature pulls in data from users’ Google Photos library, it reportedly does not display information for images captured by other users.

Google has constantly been adding new features to its smart display over time. The search giant states that the addition of the location information is to “help you relive some of your favorite memories”.

Source: 9to5Google

• By Abhay V
      Google Photos rolls back to an older version, loses new UI after Android 11 Beta 2 update
      by Abhay Venkatesh

Android 11 Beta 2 began rolling out to users today, hitting the Platform Stability milestone. While some features are beginning to be discovered in today’s release, such as the support for device audio capture in the screen recorder tool, a new UI for the media controls in the notification shade, and more, users are beginning to report on Reddit that the Google Photos app is reverting to an older version.

The search giant rolled out an updated Photos app last month that brought with it a new tabbed UI, a map view, a new rounder icon, and more. After the update, users say that the Photos app rolls back to an earlier version, replacing the app icon with the older version. However, that is not all, as we can confirm that users are also losing the new map view with the update. However, the tabbed UI did not change.

While a few users have reported receiving the design back via another update to the app, bumping it to version 5.1.0, most of the devices running Android 11 Beta 2 are receiving version 4.52. Those that try side-loading the new version are served with an error stating that the “new package has an older version code than the currently installed package”. It is not clear if the issue is currently limited, or if all Pixel users are beginning to see the change.

Have you updated to the second beta of Android 11 on your Pixel device and are you seeing the older version of the Photos app? Let us know in the comments!

• By Abhay V
      A redesigned Google Photos UI on the web is rolling out to some users
      by Abhay Venkatesh

Google redesigned the Photos app on mobile last month, bringing a fresh new look and a few new features. The design refresh aimed at bringing a tabbed UI, making it easier to navigate around in the app. Now, the Google Photos web client is also receiving a refresh that gets rid of the hamburger button, replacing the navigation with a sidebar that contains various links to the different sections of the service.

The earlier, compact UI that hid under the hamburger menu is now no longer present, resulting in a slight decrease in the gallery area. However, the options in the sidebar are now more visible and are easier to navigate between. The Albums tab has been moved under a separate ‘Library’ section in the navigation panel, and the top of the bar includes links to the Photos section, shared images, 'For you' section, and the Print Store.

Old New Other changes include the removal of the ‘Create’ button next to the search bar. The search bar has also been shrunk to accommodate the Help and Settings buttons. Interestingly, some features, such as the new Maps view that could have leveraged the increased screen real estate on the web on desktops, have not been added yet.

Overall, the refresh to the UI is minor and does not bring any major features. It is not clear if the updated look is rolling out to all users, or if this is a staggered rollout with more features planned for the web client in the future.

Are you seeing the new redesign on photos.google.com for your account? Sound off in the comments below!

Source: 9to5Google