China detains 93 for doomsday rumors

(Reuters) - Chinese authorities have detained 93 people accused of spreading doomsday rumors and arrested a man who slashed 23 children at a school after he was "psychologically affected" by such predictions, the Xinhua state news agency reported on Monday.

The 93 people, from seven provinces, include members of the banned "Almighty God" cult, Xinhua said, adding that they were detained for "handing out leaflets about the apocalypse and spreading rumors".

"These cult members recently latched on to the Mayan doomsday scenario to predict the sun will not shine and electricity will not work for three days beginning on December 21," Xinhua said, citing the public security bureau of Xining, capital of the southwestern province of Qinghai.

China has launched a crackdown on the "Almighty God" group, which has also called for a decisive battle" to slay the "Red Dragon" Communist Party.

China's Communist Party brooks no challenge to its rule and is very keen to maintain social stability. But it has struggled to clamp down on rumors, which often spread quickly on the Internet.

more

That's the second good thing I've seen China do (the first being population control).

Regarding the stabbing story though, I read that last week on a Facebook page not too long after the Newtown shooting; it was being used as a case for gun control. I think I can find the picture...

...yep, found it.

481682_450834391632945_337860237_n.jpg

That's the second good thing I've seen China do (the first being population control).

Regarding the stabbing story though, I read that last week on a Facebook page not too long after the Newtown shooting; it was being used as a case for gun control. I think I can find the picture...

...yep, found it.

only difference is that in america the man KILLED the 20 people while in china the all survived... oh ya thats what it says I should read more carefully haha

^ Yes -- arrest REM. ;)

That's great, it starts with an earthquake, birds and snakes,

an aeroplane - Lenny Bruce is not afraid.

Eye of a hurricane, listen to yourself churn,

world serves its own needs, dummy serve your own needs.

Feed it off an aux speak,, grunt, no, strength,

The ladder starts to clatter with fear fight down height.

Wire in a fire, representing seven games, a government for hire and a combat site.

Left of west and coming in a hurry with the furies breathing down your neck.

Team by team reporters baffled, trumped, tethered cropped.

Look at that low playing!

Fine, then.

Uh oh, overflow, population, common food, but it'll do.

Save yourself, serve yourself. World serves its own needs, listen to your heart bleed dummy with the rapture and the revered and the right - right.

You vitriolic, patriotic, slam, fight, bright light, feeling pretty psyched.

It's the end of the world as we know it.

It's the end of the world as we know it.

It's the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine ...

• 3 weeks later...

People in China don't have a right to own guns. They also don't have rights to free speech, voting, etc. They don't have the right to protect themselves from their government. Millions of Chinese people rot in jails with no charges brought against them and no trial. Others are executed for actions considered acceptable in the US. It's a tragedy that so many died in Newtown, but there is no comparison between these two events without considering the daily suffering of so many Chinese.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." ~ Thomas Jefferson

They don't have the right to protect themselves from their government.

Oh please. How exactly are your handguns or ar-15s going to protect you from B-52s, F-22s, tanks etc?

Millions of Chinese people rot in jails with no charges brought against them and no trial.

Wouldn't doubt it but I'm pretty sure you'll find that America is the most incarcerated country on Earth. Almost a quarter of the world's prisoners are here.

Also America has Guantanamo Bay and a lot of prisoners there have been detained for years now without trial.

but there is no comparison between these two events without considering the daily suffering of so many Chinese.

China may not have all the freedoms that America does but living there isn't like living in jail. Apart from speaking out against the government (in public anyways) you can live a fairly normal life. This isn't the 1970s anymore.

...... Almost a quarter of the world's prisoners are here.

I

Just FYI - 2011 numbers. :-

# 1 United States: 2,019,234 prisoners

# 2 China: 1,549,000 prisoners

# 3 Russia: 846,967 prisoners

# 4 India: 313,635 prisoners

# 5 Brazil: 308,304 prisoners

# 6 Thailand: 213,815 prisoners

# 7 Ukraine: 198,386 prisoners

I can make up numbers too. almost 80% of the population of Scotland wear skirts :D

Just FYI - 2011 numbers. err....USA numbers do not equal 25% of world numbers :-

# 1 United States: 2,019,234 prisoners

# 2 China: 1,549,000 prisoners

# 3 Russia: 846,967 prisoners

# 4 India: 313,635 prisoners

# 5 Brazil: 308,304 prisoners

# 6 Thailand: 213,815 prisoners

# 7 Ukraine: 198,386 prisoners

I think you need to the maths yourself too.

http://www.prisonstudies.org/info/worldbrief/wpb_stats.php?area=all&category=wb_poptotal

Add them all up (I just quickly used excel) and you get 9.8 million. America at 2.2 million equals 22.4%, which is...wait for it...wait for it...almost a quarter.

Yup there I was making up numbers :rolleyes:

yes I corrected.

:D

That said China does have hundreds of thousands of people in "re-education" prisons that are probably not counted in that statistic. But still, China has a population of 1.35 billion and (for arguments sake) 1.5-2.5 million prisoners. America has a population of 311 million and 2.2 million prisoners.

That said China does have hundreds of thousands of people in "re-education" prisons that are probably not counted in that statistic. But still, China has a population of 1.35 billion and (for arguments sake) 1.5-2.5 million prisoners. America has a population of 311 million and 2.2 million prisoners.

Sort of makes one go hmm.