Men with assault rifles walk through Portland, 'educate' public

Personally I wouldn't open carry by myself but if it was for an organized rally and was legal to do so then I would. You reckon someone would start shooting? Wouldn't last long with dozens or other gun owners openly carrying rifles.

Not necessarily. Seeing a group of people stood around carrying guns would be intimidating for the public, hence the 911 calls. Surely you can understand why it's intimidating...give me that much at least.

A car can be just as dangerous as a gun.

1) no, it can't.

2) cars have a primary use that isn't to maim/kill/destroy.

What these guys did might have been 100% legal, but given events of the past few weeks, and public feeling, it was also 100% STUPID.

There are better ways to let people know about their rights. Scaring them ain't gonna get them on your side.

• Like 2

There was a case in a Michigan city where a guy was arrested for carrying his rifle dosn main street - to a gun shop for work.

The problem is that "Open Carry", carrying an exposed weapon, is not illegal in Michigan, nor is it considered "brandishing." He was bailed out, and then about 25 of his fellow citizens marched through town with their weapons - everything from 9mm pistols to M-14's and AR-15's. Quite a parade - men and women.

No one even batted an eye because the citizenry knew the law better than the cops did. Open carry's been legal since the 1940's.

When it got to court the judge tossed the case, then hammered the cops and prosecutor for wasting everyone's time & violating the guys rights.

He's now suing the city and cops for a civil rights violation. He'll win if they don't settle first

pb-120612-gun-protest-jm-0.photoblog900.jpg

opencarry-full.jpg

I'll do my best to not make this sound like a gun hater vs. a gun lover. If it does come across as condescending, you should know my stance on guns in America is that the controls are laughable. But I don't think we need another thread. I just would like to be open.

My question is simple. Why do regular citizens need the types of weapons seen in the above images. Is there a valid reason apart from range shooting. If it's hunting, what do they hunt with them? Nazis?

There is something seriously wrong with Amerika when you think this behavior is 'normal'.

With all the shootings lately, I would think this is the quickest way to get killed by law enforcement.

But I don't understand the whole 'it's my right to bare arms' anyway, so what do I know ;-)

I'll do my best to not make this sound like a gun hater vs. a gun lover. If it does come across as condescending, you should know my stance on guns in America is that the controls are laughable. But I don't think we need another thread. I just would like to be open.

My question is simple. Why do regular citizens need the types of weapons seen in the above images. Is there a valid reason apart from range shooting. If it's hunting, what do they hunt with them? Nazis?

Because they look cooler, fire quicker, larger mag, more customizable and because they can. But essentially it's the same as this, or so I'm told:cz527lux223rifle7lm.jpg

LOL!!!! I would not have been worried at all. Were the rifles hung over their shoulder? If so then I wouldn't have given a single ****. If they were low and ready I would have cared.

I open carry my pistol daily from spring to fall. I only had an issue once some guy from New Jersey called the police while I was waiting at a place for my food to be made. The police officer came out said hello to me and told me to have a good day. It's illegal for the police to ask you directly why you are openly carrying. Atleast into state. And they then proceeded to school the guy on being in the wrong for calling 911.

So how long does it take to get them ready? 3 seconds? How does that make you feel safe, seriously?

So you get a fine/lecture for calling 911 when seeing a guy walking around with a gun?

Seriously?

I really really don't understand Americans on this.......

The point is that the public don't KNOW those people that are walking around with massive guns and don't trust them. It's intimidating, especially for people who aren't using to seeing them.

Not really intimidating when you see it frequently. Hell, in much of the US a pistol on your hip and a rifle in your pickup's rear window rack is as common as can be.

Also, while they're busy wandering around showboating what's to stop somebody like Adam Lanza from running up and taking their weapon?

Usually the shoulder strap and the pistol he doesn't see. As to showboating, if I'm on a hunting outing and walking back it's possible I might want to stop by the cafe for lunch. No problem - it's legal and there will be 20 other people (both sexes, some hunting with their kids) in there, also armed, doing the same thing. Best guarded place in the area. No one even blinks.

Last warning. Stick to the topic.

And three pages later we're still debating rather than respecting the staff / discussing the actual topic.

thread closed