Windows 8 slates get affordable with Asus VivoTab

Windows 8 slates get affordable with Asus VivoTab

But the keyboard dock is a pricey extra

Asus%20Vivo%20Tab-580-75.jpg

The official Asus VivoTab release date and price has been confirmed by the Taiwanese manufacturer, and it's good news for those looking for a slightly more affordable Windows 8 tablet.

Touching down in stores on Janaury 31, you'll need to part with ?399 to get your hands on the VivoTab, which sports a 10.1-inch HD LED display, 1.8GHz dual-core Intel processor, 2GB of RAM, 64GB of internal storage and 8MP rear camera.

Like Microsoft's Surface Pro, the Asus VivoTab runs the full blown Windows 8 OS instead of the reduced RT version found on the Surface and Samsung Ativ Tab.

No bundles here

As with the Surface and Surface Pro, Asus offers a keyboard cover to attach to the VivoTab which makes typing a whole lot easier and allows you to use the tablet as more of a laptop - a real advantage for business users.

Sadly the keyboard doesn't come bundled with the Asus VivoTab, and will put you back an additional ?90 if you do decide to pick one up.

That's a steep price tag, although still cheaper than the Surface Pro, which is set to come in at around ?200 more expensive (albeit with a slightly fancier spec sheet).

Source

Sadly it's an Atom, so the graphics chip is crap.

Good price though.

I have the Samsung smart pc and it's also the new atom and so far it's been able to play back my hd videos just fine. I haven't tried to play any big games on it but on the other hand I didn't get it for desktop gaming.