Woman gets 4 speeding tickets in 3 hours

A South Dakota woman racing to her granddaughter's middle school dance got four speeding tickets -- in less than three hours.

Loretta Lacy, 49, was on her way from Sioux Falls to Racine, Wis., -- a distance of more than 500 miles -- when she got her first ticket shortly before 2:30 p.m. last Friday on Interstate 90 near Jackson, Minn., the Minneapolis Star-Tribune reported.

State troopers clocked her at 112 mph. :|

She was also cited for having no insurance and possession of marijuana, according to the Albert Lea Tribune.

Her next ticket came 20 minutes later when police caught her was going 99 mph. Her third happened an hour after that, and her fourth at 5 p.m. that day.

Needless to say, Lacy didn't make it to her granddaughter's dance on time, according to the American Bar Association Journal.

source

She was also cited for having no insurance and possession of marijuana, according to the Albert Lea Tribune.

Dangerous driving is a serious offence (and those sorts of speeds clearly are dangerous), as is driving without insurance. In situations like this I'm not sure that jail is the most appropriate punishment, certainly not for a first offence (which this clearly wasn't), but her car should be crushed and if she is found driving again illegally then she should be jailed.

• 8 months later...

I can tell you in Georgia if you have no insurance your vehicle is automatically impounded so that would have taken her off the road.  Also in Georgia where the highway speed limits are 55 to 70 if she was caught doing 112, her chances at going to jail for just that alone would have been greater than 90%.

I can tell you in Georgia if you have no insurance your vehicle is automatically impounded so that would have taken her off the road.  Also in Georgia where the highway speed limits are 55 to 70 if she was caught doing 112, her chances at going to jail for just that alone would have been greater than 90%.

She would've gotten the SuperSpeeder fine ($200) tacked on in addition to whatever the speeding ticket cost.

about 10 years ago, i recall the neighbor couple doors down getting 5 photo radar tickets in one afternoon worth about $1200.. they set up photo radar in the park zone and she happen to be driving back and forth from her house to someone where and just kept speeding without realizing the tickets were piling up... she appealed saying it wasn't fair but it was obviously her fault, not sure about her thought process on that one.