I don't care for Windows 8

saying you don't like using 3rd party tools on a production computer is a terrible excuse to be honest

if you think about it photoshop is technically a 3rd party tool. so you shouldn't be using that on a production computer either right?

just because something is 3rd party doesn't mean it's bad. seriously, you could look as hard as you want, i doubt you'd find anything that start8 breaks or hinders. it works exactly as intended

the 3rd party excuse just doesn't cut it in my eyes

3rd party as in OS customizations. Of course normal programs are fine, but I do not like using things that modify the windows OS itself - WindowsBlinds, Start8, any of those. It makes support in businesses very difficult. I am not going to put Start8 or any OS customization program on dozens of computers.

Why though? By the way "Linux" is not an OS nor do any Linux kernel based OSes share a common GUI so you will not be able to "learn" Linux so to speak, you may be able to learn GNOME 3 or Unity but with Linux fragmentation is everywhere. Just because you can navigate the GUI of Ubuntu does not in the slightest guarantee you success at navigating Mint 13.

You think Windows 8 is bad and you don't want to or don't have the time to "learn it" but then you say you want to learn about an entirely new OS world which, lets face it, isn't the old user friendly Windows. Have fun my friend.

Source: Use pretty much every modern OS under the sun.

Actually that's not really true any more, almost all popular Linux distributions these days come either from the Fedora / Red Hat base, or the Debian base. There are some small differences but for the majority of the major stuff it's not that bad any more. I personally still don't think Linux is anywhere near Windows and OSX in usability terms yet but it is improving.

Bad UI design? There's nothing saying a UI can't be left to right in design.

There's nothing saying you can't build a skyscraper on top of a bog either but that doesn't make it a good idea. Horizontal scrolling just feels unnatural.

There's nothing saying you can't build a skyscraper on top of a bog either but that doesn't make it a good idea. Horizontal scrolling just feels unnatural.

You're analogy makes no sense. You read left to right in books, so what is unnatural about reading left to right digitally?

Because books have been designed for the past 1,000 years to work that way, and because turning a page is a totally different process to reading a computer screen. Besides, I was talking about scrolling not reading.

You're analogy makes no sense. You read left to right in books, so what is unnatural about reading left to right digitally?

You turn the page from left to right, the natural way to read a book. Scroll wheels were designed to scroll up and down a page hence unnatural.

Ok, so then someone will build a L to R mouse, but I have a feeling you three will complain that it takes more movement from your finger to scroll that direction.

Always the martyr, you don't have to try so hard to defend Windows 8, we get it you like it.

You will say anything apart from agreeing that a scrolling up and down motion doesn't make sense to scroll the page left to right.

Always the martyr, you don't have to try so hard to defend Windows 8, we get it you like it.

You will say anything apart from agreeing that a scrolling up and down motion doesn't make sense to scroll the page left to right.

There's no difference to it, flick down, and I'm taken to the next page regardless of content orientation and layout.

Thats how I got to it but what if I was new to computers and didnt know notepad existed? how would I get to it?

Err, if they don't know what notepad is, perhaps computers are not for them...install whatever version of Office they like and use Word then heh.

Thats how I got to it but what if I was new to computers and didnt know notepad existed? how would I get to it?

Go to your Metro start menu and pull down the top drop down. then click all apps

Also right click and do All Apps. You can pin anything there to the start screen also by right clicking.

Go to your Metro start menu and pull down the top drop down. then click all apps

What? There is no drop down in Start.

If you need All Apps, simply right click in Start, and the button will appear at the bottom.

What? There is no drop down in Start.

If you need All Apps, simply right click in Start, and the button will appear at the bottom.

Sure there is. I have a Surface Pro next to me now. I take my finger and swipe down from the top of the screen. Then at the bottom, a bar appears with an icon that says All Apps. You can also pull out the right pop out menu and click the search icon to view the all apps menu. Tho, it appears right clicking is a little faster.

Ok, so then someone will build a L to R mouse, but I have a feeling you three will complain that it takes more movement from your finger to scroll that direction.

Our fingers are perfect for a vertical scroll wheel. L to R scrolling mouse wheels is an absolutely ridiculous idea.

So, are we starting threads for everything we don't care for now ? cause I have quite the list, it'll be a few threads I think so I'd better get started.

Give us a quick rundown of what we can expect in the near future. :)

So I just tried a Surface Pro today at Best Buy. I'm in the same boat and really didn't like it. As an aside, I literally couldn't close metro apps at the store because the default mouse sensitivity was nowhere near high enough to drag from the top of the screen to the bottom. Scrolling the start page with the trackpad had issues as well. It's certainly seemed good as a touch interface, but Win7 will be what I stick with for a long time.

Why are you trying to close metro apps?

And we all get that you and the others who tirelessly try so hard to make out Windows 8 as the biggest flop in the entire industry don't like it.

So your point is what exactly?

And we all get that you and the others who tirelessly try so hard to make out Windows 8 as the biggest flop in the entire industry don't like it.

So your point is what exactly?

Most of us have never said that. I have said many times that I actually prefer Windows 8. But we cannot say ANYTHING about a product anymore? Yes, I use and like Windows 8, but I have a few complaints. However, I still get people telling me I am using my computer wrong instead of admitting MS COULD and SHOULD have done stuff differently. Just provide some basic check boxes and all of this would go away....