I don't care for Windows 8

Just provide some basic check boxes and all of this would go away....

Would you want to support that kind of nightmare?

Most of us have never said that. I have said many times that I actually prefer Windows 8. But we cannot say ANYTHING about a product anymore? Yes, I use and like Windows 8, but I have a few complaints. However, I still get people telling me I am using my computer wrong instead of admitting MS COULD and SHOULD have done stuff differently. Just provide some basic check boxes and all of this would go away....

OK, I was generalizing with my statement.... Didn't have the time to post everyone little complaint about Windows 8 so I just generalized things out ..... The thing I was trying to get at is the those on both sides of the argument are as bad each other, i.e. those who like it tell everyone how to use theirs PCs etc ... those who have issues constantly point them out .. this is in almost every Windows 8 thread there is on here, I would imagine every member can now tell who has issues with W8 and who doesn't.

I have no problem with anyone having their opinions and them stating on here ... however I have to question whether every thread should be taken down the same route.

And we all get that you and the others who tirelessly try so hard to make out Windows 8 as the biggest flop in the entire industry don't like it.

So your point is what exactly?

I'm using Windows 8, I am participating in a discussion about what people don't like about Windows 8. I offered my views, I don't see the problem?

It's no different than people like Dot who troll every thread telling everyone how great Windows 8 is and that it never does anything wrong and everyone else is using it wrong or just don't "get" it.

• Like 4

Can anybody point out a few key improvements made in Windows 8 that makes it better for an end-user than Windows 7?

Reason I'm asking isn't because I dislike Windows 8. I've been using since the Developer Preview until today, but I'm starting to wonder whether it's the right choice for me or not. I will point out the reasons why, and I'm more than happy to re-consider after hearing your opinions.

• I've been using the Start Screen for about a year, but find myself never, ever using a Windows 8 App and recently installed StartIsBack and find myself more comfortable using it
  • This is a vain one, but I miss 'Glass'
  • The interface feels more consistent in Windows 7, and many applications are still adapted to the old Aero version
  • Some component or other seem rather unhappy with Windows 8, because I randomly - out of the blue - can't start my computer after a couple of months of having it installed. It's stuck with a black screen after boot, and all I can see is my mouse cursor
  • Some minor features, such as the 'Open With' dialogue, are better suited to my tastes

Of course, I could make a list of things I like about Windows 8 too. Improved boot times, slightly better performance, the new task manager and file transfer dialogues, but apart from that I really don't know.

As I said, I'd be very happy if someone could point out some important (under the hood) changes made with Windows 8, apart from the "Modern" layer which I obviously don't use. Also, I'm not using Windows in a corporate environment, but with a home network, using the machine for web design, development and games mostly.

(Sorry if I'm hijacking the thread. It's not intended, and I find it quite fits in, and I know how little people like "yet another Windows 8 thread". :) )

I don't hate Windows 8, but there is something I want.

If I just want to do a search like in Win 7, why is it necessary to pull me off of the desktop to do it? Is there some shortcut that is similar to [WinKey] -> "Search Query" that I can do that won't yank me into an interface I never use? And additionally causes me to select a category of search options? If I could solve this annoyance, i would be so much happier. I'd like to achieve this without using a 3rd party tool if possible. If it's not possible, please let me know.

Most of the apps I use don't use the Modern UI (maybe none, actually). There's often no point to for me to be in that interface when it only acts like a start menu that takes up the entire screen (which is what I don't want).

I also agree with the above poster on these points:

• [...]but find myself never, ever using a Windows 8 App[...]
  • This is a vain one, but I miss 'Glass'
  • The interface feels more consistent in Windows 7, and many applications are still adapted to the old Aero version

Wow, so MS can pretty much get away with anything. You honestly believe it makes sense for a vertical scroll wheel on a mouse to perform horizontal movement?

we are talking about microsoft and their fanboys here, so yes they can get away with anything. even overwriting a bootsector/bootloader seems perfectly fine and not a behavior similar to a virus....

its also accepted to nearly double your ram size, hd size and cpu performance every other year to keep up with what exactly???... seeing the win8 tiles there cant be much gpu-rendered special effects needed.

I can't stand Windows 8 but I'm pretty sure that isn't true, the system requirements are pretty much the same as 7 apart from the enforcement of hardware DEP and SSE2

we are talking about microsoft and their fanboys here, so yes they can get away with anything. even overwriting a bootsector/bootloader seems perfectly fine and not a behavior similar to a virus....

its also accepted to nearly double your ram size, hd size and cpu performance every other year to keep up with what exactly???... seeing the win8 tiles there cant be much gpu-rendered special effects needed.

Windows 8 has the same system requirements Windows 7 does, which has the same requirements Vista had. They haven't changed in years.

funny, since PC specs have gone down with every windows version since Vista... but hey, let's not have facts get in the way of a good FOSS rant....

Windows 8 has the same system requirements Windows 7 does, which has the same requirements Vista had. They haven't changed in years.

Actually 7 has lower reqs than vista.

funny, since PC specs have gone down with every windows version since Vista... but hey, let's not have facts get in the way of a good FOSS rant....

Actually 7 has lower reqs than vista.

blablablabla blabla....

yeh you can install win xp with 512 MB of ram, and vista with 1 GB of ram ... will it "run".. yes, probably. will you like it? deffo not!

due to a special need i have to run my acerferrari 5000 notebook with win 7. 2 GB ram are installed there and its trash i can say. very very slow. it was much faster with linux.

but yeah, maybe i should install win8 on it, for sure then it will run faster haha. actually i would not be surprised about that. as, again, these simple tiles and fugly colors it comes with, might not need any gpu/cpu power at all, its early 1990s all over again. :woot:

blablablabla blabla....

yeh you can install win xp with 512 MB of ram, and vista with 1 GB of ram ... will it "run".. yes, probably. will you like it? deffo not!

due to a special need i have to run my acerferrari 5000 notebook with win 7. 2 GB ram are installed there and its trash i can say. very very slow. it was much faster with linux.

but yeah, maybe i should install win8 on it, for sure then it will run faster haha. actually i would not be surprised about that. as, again, these simple tiles and fugly colors it comes with, might not need any gpu/cpu power at all, its early 1990s all over again. :woot:

Why are you comparing to vista when we said reqs have gone down since vista.

And increased specs isn't a bad thing in any case. Sure you can run Linux on lower specs. However ou need to turn off desktop composition and run on crappy software rendering, or run hardware composition with vsync off(not that vsync has EVER worked on any Linux desktop compositor) and with all anti aliasing and filtering off. Giving you a horribly pixelated and unreadable ui. Yeah, that's just awesome. All the Linux desktop compositors when set to the same quality settings as is minimum on the windows DWM requires more powerful graphic cards, and you still have rendering artifacts on them and tearing due to the broken vsync.

So yeah, it's absolutely horrible how you can't run windows vista/7/8 on your 6 year old low spec computer :rolleyes:

So yeah, it's absolutely horrible how you can't run windows vista/7/8 on your 6 year old low spec computer :rolleyes:

just nitpicking here, but I run 7 fine on my Athlon X2 with a GeForce 7200LE :p

(and it ran fine on my nforce2 with a 6600gt and Athlon XP that I gave away)

8 would run far better on it but can't be arsed to spend money on a system that's never powered up

You don't need to install Start8 to do that, it's a deliberate registry hook put in that you can directly set:

* http://www.c-sharpco...s-in-windows-8/

"I would imagine" that that's not exposed directly because it's extremely a power user modification and not one you want grandma stumbling into. The rumor was that at some point there was going to be a small write-up of those two registry values, but I haven't seen anything as of yet.

I can't speak to the left edge hot corners, but the right edge hot corner deliberately only goes into a "hint" mode when you mouse into its hot region: if you click it goes away, if you move out of its activation region it goes away, and it only moves to visible mode if you mouse down onto where the Charm hints are. Otherwise of course interacting with scroll bars would be nigh impossible.

<3

Last time I tried a registry fix, it only disable the HINT - not the actual bar. With programs like Start8 and others, it completely gets rid of the bar. But using third party tools for OS changes is something I do not like doing.

blablablabla blabla....

That's the feeling I get using Linux.

I run all of the above!!!!! XD; just look at my sig

If your sig is 4 times as big as an average sig. You should consider putting all that useless info in your profile and just use a sig that presents who you are instead.

Back to topic,

If your sig is 4 times as big as an average sig. You should consider putting all that useless info in your profile and just use a sig that presents who you are instead.

Back to topic,

Hide signatures in settings, makes the forum so much better when you get to skip all that garbage - and if you set it, you can go into the person's profile if you wanted to see their sig. Anyways, yes back to Windows 8...

I don't mind signatures. I mind people who think they need to list their entire computer park and every sub component in their sig.

I meant the operating systems on my laptops that's listed on my sig is what I meant when I said "I use all of the above", not my entire sig. Sorry for the misunderstanding or misleading any of you guys. Anyways, back to Windows 8

Not sure if you are trolling or just on another planet altogether.

Windows 8 doesn't boot to desktop by default, it boots to the user-hostile "start screen" or "metro" or whatever name you have for the abomination and there is no start menu on the desktop.

In what way is the Start Screen user-hostile?

And the desktop is ALWAYS one-click away - by moving the desktop tile to the upper left, you can go to the desktop by hitting the Enter key on your keyboard as well (established with the Consumer Preview, and retained by the RTM).

Login screen - alternatively, you can simply tap the spacebar or Enter key (no need to swipe up).

The Start Screen is different from the Start menu - that is something that nobody disputes. To imply it is user-hostile means that it is radically different from what the user implying hostility is used to.

Is Windows 8 for everyone? No - the Start Screen itself is evidence of that. (While I've gotten used to the Start Screen - on a non-touch-enabled desktop - just fine, that doesn't mean that all desktop users can - or even should. My cousin the MD - who is also a businesswoman, can't deal with Windows 8 at all - and she's smarter IQ-wise than I am. Therefore, IQ proves exactly nothing.)