Tycoon insists Titanic II good idea

At a Tuesday press event in New York, Australian billionaire Clive Palmer, chairman of Blue Star Line shipping company, unveiled blueprints for his company's planned Titanic II. It's an exact replica of the haunted 1912 cruise liner that ... well, you've seen the movie.

Palmer claims Titanic II will be the safest cruise ship in the world when it sets sail in 2016 from Southampton, England, bound for New York, following the ill-fated Titanic's original planned route.

The press event, held at New York's Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum, was part of an ongoing campaign to promote the Titanic II launch. Blue Star held a Titanic II Gala Dinner at the Venetian in Macau this month to drum up interest among wealthy Chinese.

Palmer has commissioned a Chinese shipyard to build the replica.

The mining magnate won't say exactly how much money he's sunk into the project, but he doesn't appear worried about those who might be leery about boarding such a dubiously named vessel. Palmer says he's received offers of up to $1 million for passage on the ship's maiden voyage.

source

post-37120-0-76163200-1362012488.jpg

so..

- the White Star Line was the shipping company that build the Titanic; this one is the Blue Star Line...

- "Palmer claims Titanic II will be the safest cruise ship in the world" - the original was unsinkable and..oh wait.

- "(...) when it sets sail in 2016 from Southampton, England, bound for New York" - same route as the original unsinkable one. Crepy, isn't?

- "Palmer has commissioned a Chinese shipyard to build the replica." - Foxxcon? :laugh: Anyway, it does look promissing... :rolleyes:

Tickets for the original Titanic voyage was $4000, a good bit of money for the time. I wonder what prices for this voyage will be?

that was the first class seats price with today's inflation or the original price? because if it was the original price... :o it was very very expensive.

I would not go on any cruise ship, people disappear, sewage in the rooms, no thanks.

Having just got back from a 2 week cruise around the Caribbean, all I can say is: Your loss!

that was the first class seats price with today's inflation or the original price? because if it was the original price... :o it was very very expensive.

That said on ABC News that was the original prices. They said it would be $70,000 at today's prices.

He also intends to have the 3 classes that are separated from each other. Would have thought that was a health a safety nightmare.

But then I'm not a billionaire with apparently far too much money to waste and I have no idea on shipbuilding.

Wonder if the staff will be issued with guns just in case a 3rd class passenger wants to have a look at have the other classes available. I mean can't have the poor mingling with the rich and infamous! :rofl:

He also intends to have the 3 classes that are separated from each other. Would have thought that was a health a safety nightmare.

But then I'm not a billionaire with apparently far too much money to waste and I have no idea on shipbuilding.

Wonder if the staff will be issued with guns just in case a 3rd class passenger wants to have a look at have the other classes available. I mean can't have the poor mingling with the rich and infamous! :rofl:

It could be a legal issue, but the most common tactic around those is to fly the flag of some country that has no standards.

The titanic is still one of the most captivating events of the 20th century. He'll sell tickets by the bucketload, and the ship will conform to all modern safety regulations. As a Titanic enthusiast i'd sail on it.

• Like 1

yeah, like this scene could ever happen!

titanic_dicaprio.jpg

It could be a legal issue, but the most common tactic around those is to fly the flag of some country that has no standards.

No doubt and knowing his track record, that is exactly what he'll do.

I can't believe that companies are still manufacturing stuff in China... Governments should stop that for real. If every country prefers their own country to manufacture then there won't be as high unemployment as there is right now. There are lots of people looking for a job yet companies are still in for China... Just because it is cheap there...Yeah, help China become the biggest economy ever by 2020...

I can't believe that companies are still manufacturing stuff in China... Governments should stop that for real. If every country prefers their own country to manufacture then there won't be as high unemployment as there is right now. There are lots of people looking for a job yet companies are still in for China... Just because it is cheap there...Yeah, help China become the biggest economy ever by 2020...

Wal*mart would go out of business.

The Titanic sank more than a century ago. The white star line went defunct in 1934 anyway but even if they hadn't I'm pretty sure the patent would have expired by now.

Actually from what I read.

If they had followed the original plans the following would have some effect on the sinking:

The bulk head doors would have extended up to the ball room (which were taken off due to looks two floors below it so it would look better for the rich people quarters)

There was supposed to be a filler material in-between the hulls.

The rivets in the ice breaker were one quality under original specs. (this was done to save money)

Now they have newer technologies and also better radar that possibly now they could avoid the ice.

I personally would not want to be on a boat named after one that SANK.

Yeah I'm guessing the safety regs will make some changes necessary but from what I gather it's still going to be as close to the original as they possibly can make it. I think it would be a very interesting experience.

Um if everything you own was made in the US you wouldn't be able to afford half of it. People in China get paid $2 a DAY, in America those same people would be making at least $8 an hour + benefits. Then you'd get unions who'd increase their wages too.

Yeah I'm guessing the safety regs will make some changes necessary but from what I gather it's still going to be as close to the original as they possibly can make it. I think it would be a very interesting experience.

And this time it looks like Carnival is not going to be first choice in cruise liners now. So the money is out there now for new upstarts after the fiasco recently.