Surface Pro running Android-x86

Hey guys, I got Android running on my Surface and wanted to share. Thought this would be the more appropriate forum since it seems like news. The tutorial is in the description on the YouTube video. :)

• Like 2

How could you!! On a serious note that's awesome mate, might give it a spin just to check out the action! Thanks!

not sure why you would want to step backwards with a windows tablet taking it to android however, they have stated that the Surface Pro can run any number of PC enabled OS's

On a side note i wish i could install windows 8 RT on my Xoom tablet (or even the Ubuntu mobile OS)

even with a core i5 android is laggy LOL lets see how someone can defend this.

The OS wasn't installed under normal circumstances. It's not even fully functional. What is there to defend? Rather than prove a point, you ended up looking like a fool :rolleyes:

It doesn't have to make sense or be PC, its a fun project and I assume it would be easy enough to reinstall 8 pull out a flash drive once done playing with it

Great work OP

• Like 2

not sure why you would want to step backwards with a windows tablet taking it to android however, they have stated that the Surface Pro can run any number of PC enabled OS's

On a side note i wish i could install windows 8 RT on my Xoom tablet (or even the Ubuntu mobile OS)

Step backwards? Last I heard Windows (Phone) 8 was still lagging pretty far behind in the touch-enabled app department so there are probably lots of software reasons why. What if you are a software developer and want to make something for Android and Windows 8? It isn't like he threw Windows 8 away.

Sure, one could just go out and buy an Android Tablet, but what fun is that!?!?!

I agree with others that a Windows RT tablet running Android would be cooler ;).

The OS wasn't installed under normal circumstances. It's not even fully functional. What is there to defend? Rather than prove a point, you ended up looking like a fool :rolleyes:

not under normal circumstances? what is it that's hindering its performance? can you enlighten me? metro on windows 8 running on an older atom netbook using software rendering is smoother than a java phone os(android) running on a core i5. ridiculous.

Step backwards? Last I heard Windows (Phone) 8 was still lagging pretty far behind in the touch-enabled app department so there are probably lots of software reasons why. What if you are a software developer and want to make something for Android and Windows 8? It isn't like he threw Windows 8 away.

Sure, one could just go out and buy an Android Tablet, but what fun is that!?!?!

I agree with others that a Windows RT tablet running Android would be cooler ;).

last i heard, android doesn't have tablet apps. and why are you comparing windows phone? the surface runs windows 8. who wants to run phone apps on a computer?

not under normal circumstances? what is it that's hindering its performance? can you enlighten me? metro on windows 8 running on an older atom netbook using software rendering is smoother than a java phone os(android) running on a core i5. ridiculous.

What's ridiculous is that you're attempting to use this particular instance where someone had to basically jimmy-rig an install of Android on a tablet specifically designed/optimized for Windows 8, as proof Android sucks. I suppose when you can't provide anything solid...grasping works.

Keep trying I guess?

It's a normal computer, it's not specifically designed for windows 8. that's the most ridiculous thing I've heard.Meanwhile this specifically designed for windows8 computer runs any other OS just fine...

It's a normal computer, it's not specifically designed for windows 8. that's the most ridiculous thing I've heard.Meanwhile this specifically designed for windows8 computer runs any other OS just fine...

So the Surface Pro was designed for Windows 7? No? Ubuntu? No? Hmm. Ok maybe OSX? No? I don't recall ever stating that no other OS could possibly run on the Surface Pro. I did however state that it's ridiculous to say another OS sucks based on a jimmy-rigged install on a device it was never even released on. The point still stands.

So the Surface Pro was designed for Windows 7? No? Ubuntu? No? Hmm. Ok maybe OSX? No? I don't recall ever stating that no other OS could possibly run on the Surface Pro. I did however state that it's ridiculous to say another OS sucks based on a jimmy-rigged install on a device it was never even released on. The point still stands.

Core i5 with HD4000. What is specifically designed for Windows 8 in that? There is additional hardware to support its touch interface that is all. I am not surprised that Android lagged because unlike a general purpose OS such as Windows/Ubuntu, it will need optimization for different hardware configs.

It's a cmputer sold with windows 8, but there's nothing windows 8 special about it, it's a regular computer. it runs any other OS liek any other computer with similar hardware would run it. it just so happens that android x86 runs REALLY horrible on ANYTHING. it's not a usable OS, it's not even worth playing with.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep under 'abnormal' circumstances, it may need at least i7 to run smoothly ;) ...