Google: Open source patent pledge, won't sue 'unless first attacked

Google just announced the Open Patent Non-Assertion (OPN) Pledge, a new initiative whereby the company has promised not to sue developers, distributors, and users of open source software utilizing Mountain View's patents "unless first attacked." In introducing the good faith effort, Google is reiterating its passion and support for open platforms. "Open-source software has been at the root of many innovations in cloud computing, the mobile web, and the Internet generally," writes Duane Valz, Google's senior patent counsel. "We remain committed to an open Internet ? one that protects real innovation and continues to deliver great products and services."

The company isn't throwing its entire patent portfolio up for grabs, however. Quite the opposite: it's starting small, contributing a mere ten patents to the pledge. Google claims these patents are already in wide use and that it will eventually expand the set of Google-owned patents that fall under the pledge.

But Google wants other patent holders to take part as well. "We hope the OPN Pledge will serve as a model for the industry," says Valz, citing a number of benefits that come along with adopting the initiative. Among those are transparency, breadth, and durability ? Google says the pledge will remain in effect for the life of each patent even if ownership should be transferred away from the company. The agreement will come undone "only if a party brings a patent suit against Google products or services, or is directly profiting from such litigation," according to Valz. Google continues to voice its support for patent reform and a cutback in "excessive" litigation that it has repeatedly insisted hampers innovation today.

http://www.theverge....unless-attacked

As always, keep topic clean please....TY

We remain committed to an open Internet..

oh really? start fixing your broken websites first and then preach to others. ;)

The company isn't throwing its entire patent portfolio up for grabs, however. Quite the opposite: it's starting small, contributing a mere ten patents to the pledge. Google claims these patents are already in wide use and that it will eventually expand the set of Google-owned patents that fall under the pledge.

:rofl:

oh really? start fixing your broken websites first and then preach to others. ;)

What other problem does Google have with broken websites and how does that relate to this article?

It's basically an easy way to obtain concepts from others. Saves Google from developing new features on their own.

Maybe...but sounds like Google will still do this regardless if others do as well.

* But we will spy on you.

They dont now, so I dont see why they would start unless they receive a request from the FED.

What other problem does Google have with broken websites and how does that relate to this article?

Google basically just writes their websites to work in Chrome and doesn't care how they work in non-Chrome/non-Webkit browsers. I have quoted the relevant part of the article.

Google basically just writes their websites to work in Chrome and doesn't care how they work in non-Chrome/non-Webkit browsers. I have quoted the relevant part of the article.

So there is nothing to fix really. Everything is working the way Google wants it to.

So many ignorant trolls. Stop drinking the Microsoft kool-aid and get in the real world.

I recent that! I drink Apple kool-aid. Shieesh.

Edit: Actually my fav. is cherry.

The only thing Google are committed to is their dreams of WebKit-based Embrace Extend and Extinguish.

This is the same old Google tactic of suckering in all the morons into thinking Google are a "good" corporation, when really they're the Microsoft of the 90s in disguise. (Or just Microsoft in general, if they hadn't made themselves irrelevant with Windows 8)

Well that's basically nonsense!

Basically google are giving away worthless patents that is either so much in use they are unenforceable or that are so weak they would be thrown away in court if they tried to enforce them.

Good guys... Lets not pretend google is doing this to actually be good guys and not just for PR to appear like good guys, as usual.

Well that's basically nonsense!

Really? Google has a history of doing this.

Let me tell you a story from before chrome, when IE had 90% of the market and google was heavily behind FF. google bought a company that made an online document editor or office suite if you will. This office suite worked perfectly in every browser.

After google bought it, they did a small update to the website. This website did three things.

1. Change the logos to google and rename to google docs.

2. Give a warning to non IE/FF browsers that only FF was supported. IE didn't get the warning, but wasn't offered as a supported alternative either( but MS has to support everyone in their forced ballot screen)

3. Used deep browser scanning to detect opera(not just user agent). And sent broken code to opera so the editors wouldn't load.

That was ALL that was changed, o new features, not bug fixes, nothing, just branding and breaking it in a browser they didn't support to push people to their choice of browser.

Good guys indeed.

Oh, you mean like Microsoft... Google isn't nearly as bad as MS when requiring their browser for a website to work correctly. I know there is EXTRA functionality in Chrome for Google Apps, but that's hardly a worthwhile argument.

Oh, you mean like Microsoft... Google isn't nearly as bad as MS when requiring their browser for a website to work correctly. I know there is EXTRA functionality in Chrome for Google Apps, but that's hardly a worthwhile argument.

When you have point relevant to this thread's topic, come back and try again.

When you have point relevant to this thread's topic, come back and try again.

You made a similar comment in your first post to this thread.

Stay on topic please or else I will request this topic to be closed. This is not about Google and what they do with their websites. This is about their patents.

Thank You

Good guys... Lets not pretend google is doing this to actually be good guys and not just for PR to appear like good guys, as usual.

Google doesnt have to do this and they have nothing to gain by doing it. At least a company is trying to do something about the whole patent mess as it is obvious to anyone that something needs to be done. I dont see other companies doing this and as long as Google holds true to their word, then yes...they are the good guys in this instance. However, if they are stupid and go back on what they say, I will be the first to yell at them. And yes, there is PR behind this and their should be. Nothing wrong with drumming up a little PR. All companies do things like this. Hell, MS just did it by creating a website that has all their patents in one place and I am glad MS did that as well.

So, I am not going to call Google the bad guys here as they have not done anything to warrant it.

Google doesnt have to do this and they have nothing to gain by doing it.

Don't be so naive, they have everything to gain. Google have made a fortune stealing other peoples hard work and then pretending that they've done nothing wrong. This is just a meaningless fig-leaf to make them look like oood guys battling patent trolls when the reality is that they're little more than thieves.

Don't be so naive, they have everything to gain. Google have made a fortune stealing other peoples hard work and then pretending that they've done nothing wrong. This is just a meaningless fig-leaf to make them look like oood guys battling patent trolls when the reality is that they're little more than thieves.

So do tell me what Google has to gain from this and how what Google did is different from what Apple, Microsoft, and many others have done. And Google patent trolls? Last time I checked that was Apple but hey, things change fast I guess. If Google was the only one pulling this kind of stuff, then I would agree 110 percent with you. But this goes beyond Google and to many other companies. Also, last time I checked, it was Samsung that was doing the stealing.

And Google is assuming other will sign up and even if they dont, Google will still keep this pledge. Otherwise, it would just look really bad on them and they really cannot afford the bad press ATM.

And a little more info....

Our pledge builds on past efforts by companies like IBM and Red Hat and the work of the Open Invention Network (of which Google is a member). It also complements our efforts on cooperative licensing, where we?re working with like-minded companies to develop patent agreements that would cut down on lawsuits.

And, in addition to these industry-driven initiatives, we continue to support patent reforms that would improve patent quality and reduce excessive litigation.

We hope the OPN Pledge will provide a model for companies looking to put their own patents into the service of open-source software, which continues to enable amazing innovation.

http://google-opensource.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/taking-stand-on-open-source-and-patents.html

And more companies need patent agreements instead of suing the crap out of one another and blocking products. So it looks like Google is not alone what they are trying to do here but hey, lets still call them the bad guys. After all, one bad deed (exchange connector) erases a life time of good so Google will always be the evil corporation to many.......sure glad I dont think that way about Microsoft.

Google doesnt have to do this and they have nothing to gain by doing it. At least a company is trying to do something about the whole patent mess as it is obvious to anyone that something needs to be done. I dont see other companies doing this and as long as Google holds true to their word, then yes...they are the good guys in this instance. However, if they are stupid and go back on what they say, I will be the first to yell at them. And yes, there is PR behind this and their should be. Nothing wrong with drumming up a little PR. All companies do things like this. Hell, MS just did it by creating a website that has all their patents in one place and I am glad MS did that as well.

So, I am not going to call Google the bad guys here as they have not done anything to warrant it.

No they're not trying to do anything about the patent system, they're just dumping patents they can't fight or defend. it's pure PR.

MS on the other hand have been fighting for a reform of the patent system and is supporting a reform, something google isn't supporting.

And Google is assuming other will sign up and even if they dont, Google will still keep this pledge. Otherwise, it would just look really bad on them and they really cannot afford the bad press ATM.

Why would others sign up for this. MS already has this same system in practice, except it's way more than 10 patents, and it's actual valid patents.

I've noticed something with google over the years, introduce something and then pull it away.

If you get suckered into this, I'll feel for you when in a few days/months/years they pull it and do sue you :/