Bigelow Aerospace updates: thread 2

33 minutes ago, flyingskippy said:

Are they talking an EVA then to loosen the straps? 

Not yet, but I'm sure that idea is being ... "floated". :rofl: (Sorry, I had to.)

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Unobscured Vision said:

Not yet, but I'm sure that idea is being ... "floated". :rofl: (Sorry, I had to.)

Can you please "expand" on what that would entail?

We should know more after 2 ... they're holding media conference at 2 EST to clear the "air" and provide an update.

...thank you.  I'll see my way out.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jjkusaf said:

Can you please "expand" on what that would entail?

We should know more after 1 ... they're holding media conference at 2 EST to clear the "air" and provide an update.

...thank you.  I'll see my way out.

Certainly; but all it would accomplish would be to "inflate" previous comments. :rofl:

... aaand there's Security to show me to the door too.

• Like 2

NASA is being safe and will air're on the side of safety....OK, now stop.....

Actually, I have heard mention that a few factors are being checked, such as pyro cutters that didn't, stuck strap, and unlikely material friction, due to composition, material mentioned by Doc before, forgot the name, like kevlar.

For safety, EVA would be definitely last, flinging people into orbit frowned on. We have the arm and Dextre for that. One will be surprised at what it can do, even repair itself (ISS thread).

As mentioned above, NASA  will (expand) hear something at the press briefing.

:D

• Like 2

So, was listening and they'll try to expand it again tomorrow.  No time yet ... but they plan on live-streaming it again and will release time later.  Didn't hear any discussion about space walks.

• Like 1

From press conference...rough summary

The pressurization constraints are developed by NASA for station safety, therefore using low pressure expansion curve for station safety. This is in addition to Bigelow safety constraints.

Early tomorrow, the expansion routine will occur again. If a no go, it will wait till mid/end week for possible robotic platform involvement.

Pyro cutters worked, straps were cut and bulkhead bolts were released. They are now dealing with expansion friction and the use of a simulation curve that may not align with actual deployment.

NASA will televise the operation tomorrow, once times are finalized and notices for viewing are released.

10% pressure levels, as compared to operational pressure, is being used. NASA and Bigelow are not too worried nor surprised. Station safety being paramount, a slow curve is being used.

Fabric and soft goods do have a memory and some adherent forces, and was expected.

Storage was slightly longer than 1 year (15 months), but the materials will relax with time. This is a demonstrator mission and will be a learning mission.

NASA had changed original plan, where Bigelow onboard tanks expanded unit. Here, Station air source is being used, it is a more metered method for safety. 

By overnight, there was approximately 6 inches of expansion longitudinally and axially.

We'll see what happens tomorrow, but definitely no major concern.

Material friction is the issue. Will just require time.

EVA is definitely not in the plan, will use robotic arm if warranted.

Bigelow has no concerns about module integrity, with respect to rapid deployment. It is being done this way for station safety, safety is with respect to coupling of modules, node 1 and node 3, node 3 could break off with severe force, and not likely to happen, but have to err on the side of safety.

:D

NASA TV Schedule:

8:30 a.m., Saturday, May 28 - Coverage of the Expansion of the Bigelow Expandable Activity Module (BEAM) at the ISS (Expansion scheduled to begin at approximately 9 a.m. ET) (starts at 8:45 a.m.) (all channels)

Time is Eastern Daylight Savings Time (EDT).

Like watching paint dry...but expected expansion so far. :)  Will be nice to have a time lapse on this.  They are taking a 40 minute break (KU gap) ... resuming in about 40 minutes or so (:35 past the hour).

• Like 1

Jeff if you could leave it on for just a little bit longer than what control suggests...this is gonna take aaaaaages otherwise ;)

• Like 1

They are really expanding now...thought they were going to shut it down until tomorrow.  Anyway, they've been doing 8, 10 and 14 second bursts of air vs. the 1 or so seconds earlier that they've been doing.  Sounds like popcorn popping in the microwave. :) 

Capture.JPG

This kind of reminds me of how long it takes me to blow up pool floats. :)  Speaking of...Bigelow Aerospace should design the next one to look like a gator.  Concept art below.

bigelow-b330-ed.jpg

• Like 1

Whoah, they are absolutely going nuts on that thing now!

8 seconds, 10 seconds and now 14 seconds of valve opening action in just 10 minutes! While they did 1 second bursts all day!

• Like 2

Just now, John. said:

Finally, more in the last 10 mins that the last 4 hours! 

Yes...It's been a long day, but fun :D

15 seconds of air ... more popcorn sound which sounds awesome.

Capture.JPG

Edit...Holy crud...now 30 seconds of air. :)  May turn up my speakers and see if my dogs look at the microwave.

• Like 1

I was wondering where the company logo is...may be on other side...don't know?

Here is a link for a pdf, saw this on NSF....

Modeling of Local BEAM Structure for
Evaluation of MMOD Impacts to Support
Development of a Health Monitoring System

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/20160001632.pdf

It shows how the layers are constructed on BEAM....tough little unit, she'll be fine up there.    :D