Americans Overwhelmingly Support Doubling NASA

Spend money on Space when you could spend it at home and increase work for those lesser well off........I think we have lost the plot on this one

I'm more interested in how many people support taking a chunk out of their own paychecks to build up the necessary hardware and infrastructure. Once it's in place, there is a lot to gain - it will expand markets and create plenty of new jobs. Still, it's stupidly easy to support funding something in the general sense, as long as it's funding "in some general sense" or someone else's money, as opposed to getting it done with your own.

I'm all for doubling NASA's budget. As long as they cut Military spending.

You guys might as well forget it. Military spending will never get cut. Well, not unless the country goes bankrupt or something.

Spend money on Space when you could spend it at home and increase work for those lesser well off........I think we have lost the plot on this one

I disagree with you.

I don't support it. There are too many issues here that need to be resolved, many require money. Not to mention we are already burying ourselves in debt... even if the amount is a pittance compared to the rest of our spending.

We could be funding programs to get people off the streets here, help establish safe/better farming practices for some African nations as well as better irrigation and wells for clean water... etc.

But even beyond that I don't think any of this should be the purview of the gov't... that private organizations like churches and other non-profit organizations should be finding ways to help the homeless, people who need re-education (for careers) and the other aforementioned issues.

Why don't we try to fix earth first before we spend more money on exploring far away planets

We still have heaps of people without even the most basic needs like food and fresh water.

Let's fix that and then look at going into space again

Ill just leave this here

I don't support it. There are too many issues here that need to be resolved, many require money. Not to mention we are already burying ourselves in debt... even if the amount is a pittance compared to the rest of our spending.

We could be funding programs to get people off the streets here, help establish safe/better farming practices for some African nations as well as better irrigation and wells for clean water... etc.

But even beyond that I don't think any of this should be the purview of the gov't... that private organizations like churches and other non-profit organizations should be finding ways to help the homeless, people who need re-education (for careers) and the other aforementioned issues.

Why don't we try to fix earth first before we spend more money on exploring far away planets

We still have heaps of people without even the most basic needs like food and fresh water.

Ill just leave this here

You are going to still have people that lack the most basic needs without even going to Mars. Here is a pro-tip for you, going to Mars can create jobs which means more people work for a living which means that they can feed their families.

You act like not going to Mars just magically fixes the world. You are being naive like some of the other friends of magical thinking in other threads I visit who I won't name.

Mars is great for Science and great for our country.

• Like 3

So you count it as an investment. Still, I hold to the fact that I think we need to pare back gov't spending and their involvement in every little thing. Perhaps once they are under some modicum of control THEN this could be re-addressed.

That's basically the perfect example of the phrase "Penny wise, pound foolish".

Its very simple. Staying on Earth only makes about as much sense as never leaving the caves. Without expanding to other worlds we will stagnate, wither, and die. If we lack the ambition or wisdom to expand, then we deserve to die.