Samsung Galaxy S3 Android 4.2.2 firmware leaked with Galaxy S4 features

s3-422.jpg

Lock screen widgets, re-vamped settings, driving mode and more

Samsung has a track record of bringing key software features to older phones with major firmware upgrades, and it seems last year's Galaxy S3 is about to see such an update along with Android 4.2.2. Leaked firmware obtained by SamMobile brings the international Galaxy S3 -- the quad-core Exynos-powered GT-i9300 -- up to Android 4.2.2, and adds many features previously reserved for the Galaxy S4.

New features include a familiar array of lock screen widgets and unlock effects, new display modes, a re-tooled quick settings area in the notification pull-down, a new driving mode and an updated version of the S Voice assistant app. Some of the headline Galaxy S4 features like "Air view" hover-touch abilities aren't included -- that's because they're dependent on the S4's internal hardware.

SamMobile has published the new -- and very much pre-release -- firmware version I9300XXUFME3 online, and it comes with all the usual warnings associated with using unfinished software on your phone. In addition, it'll increase your binary counter (the difficult-to-reset counter telling you how many unofficial ROMs you've installed) by one, even though it's marked as an official Samsung firmware.

http://www.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s3-android-422-firmware-leaked-galaxy-s4-features

They better address the space issue or this will **** off a lot of S3 users.

The space issue could be easily addressed by Samsung releasing a firmware upgrade without any crapware - it would free up space and it would take a modest installation footprint rather than the multi-gigabyte mess it does now. It basically re-enforces why I would never get an Android device given that almost ever 'premium' phone shipped from Samsung and HTC is chocked to the brim with crapware.

The space issue could be easily addressed by Samsung releasing a firmware upgrade without any crapware - it would free up space and it would take a modest installation footprint rather than the multi-gigabyte mess it does now. It basically re-enforces why I would never get an Android device given that almost ever 'premium' phone shipped from Samsung and HTC is chocked to the brim with crapware.

What you call crapware is not what a lot of others apparently call it since its their most popular selling device. And never heard of the Nexus line of phones? Pure Android OS with no crapware installed. S

What you call crapware is not what a lot of others apparently call it since its their most popular selling device.

Old argument resurrected... Yes TouchWiz is considered by some to be great and some to be terrible. But the fact the phones also ship with installed apps that cannot be removed makes them crapware.

Old argument resurrected... Yes TouchWiz is considered by some to be great and some to be terrible. But the fact the phones also ship with installed apps that cannot be removed makes them crapware.

I was talking about the extra software to go along with the features the SGS4 has...and which causes the space issue. People who use these features would call them crap. There are other apps on Samsungs Galaxy line that are junk and different from the features they added in the new SGS4.

What you call crapware is not what a lot of others apparently call it since its their most popular selling device. And never heard of the Nexus line of phones? Pure Android OS with no crapware installed. S

1) 'Drop box' and other crapware isn't valuable or useful by any stretch of the imagination - they aren't a selling point or a strength but merely a way for Samsung to milk even more money from its customers from an already premium high margin device.

2) Customers buy what ever is shoved in front of their face by a sales rep or what their friends have - it occurred with iPhone so don't some how think that Galaxy is any different. Most people buy iPhone because it is the 'in thing' just as people buy Galaxy's because it is the 'in thing'.

3) Nexus line is not available globally - don't assume that the whole world revolves around the United States and a small handful of countries that Google decides to serve.

4) The applications aren't the features but bundled applications from third parties - there is absolutely no value to the customer by refusing to allow them to uninstall it - it is nothing more than a money grab at the customers expense (see lack of free space).

I installed this yesterday and I must say I don't like it, it's slow compared to the modified ROM I had before with the 4.2.1... I guess I have to wait until a more optimized ROM is released or the official one

1) 'Drop box' and other crapware isn't valuable or useful by any stretch of the imagination - they aren't a selling point or a strength but merely a way for Samsung to milk even more money from its customers from an already premium high margin device.

That junk software isnt what is taking up all the space tho. It is the software that comes with the SGS4 and their new features that is doing it.

2) Customers buy what ever is shoved in front of their face by a sales rep or what their friends have - it occurred with iPhone so don't some how think that Galaxy is any different. Most people buy iPhone because it is the 'in thing' just as people buy Galaxy's because it is the 'in thing'.

True, but that is the customers fault for not asking the right questions or researching on their own. Info is freely available online and reviews often come out before the product does. If the customer is confused at what the sales person is telling them, then that should be a clue to hold off and think about it.

4) The applications aren't the features but bundled applications from third parties - there is absolutely no value to the customer by refusing to allow them to uninstall it - it is nothing more than a money grab at the customers expense (see lack of free space).

Again, the problem with the SGS4, which I was commenting about and what the OP was about (and the SGS3) is the problem. Its the software that is on the SGS4 that Samsung put out with their new features. 3rd party apps isnt causing the huge space problem. The SGS3 didnt have space issues and neither did the SGS2.