Radioactive Looking Sinkhole Opens Up in Philadelphia

A sinkhole opened up today in Philadelphia with a neon green looking liquid in it. Philadelphia Water Department spokesman Laura Copeland says its a dye that helps find sinkholes and cave-ins.

Northern+Liberties+Flourescent+Sinkhole.

Full Story

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/weird/Green-Flourescent-Water-Hole-Philly-211843641.html?dr

Since when was radioactive material green anyway...

uranium marbles are green under blacklight

Uranium_Marble-1.jpg

although i like the blue glow from beef irradiation

si-irradiator-220-cp-.jpg

uranium marbles are green under blacklight

Uranium_Marble-1.jpg

That's not because of its radioactivity. It's the color of a a particular uranium compound. Others are red, mauve, black, blue, yellow.... Sometimes they also added a phosphor (ex: zinc sulfide) that glows from the radiation.

although i like the blue glow from beef irradiation

si-irradiator-220-cp-.jpg

That glow is Cherenkov radiation, and it's not directly from the radiation source but from its emitted charged particles (ex: electrons) passing through a dielectric medium (ex: water) fastrr than the speed of light in that medium (lights velocity is slower in transparent media.)

Problem solved in one sentence. Looks like it works well then ha!

first thing I thought when I saw it was a big glycol line blew up we had one blow in our work building and it was dyed florescent green just like that... flooded an entire floor with green glycol

ahaha yeah I would imagine corrosive dye does a pretty good job of identifying sink holes...carpet bombing an area with bunker busters is a pretty efficient way to find a bunker too!

Hm...  I'd be more concerned that it appears to just be pooling under the road and not in a pipe or anything...  With that Said, Philadelphia is well known for their archaic and outdated systems...  Unfortunately, any money that is sent into the city by the state seems to "disapear" and not be appropriately used...